It is currently 23 Nov 2014, 21:51

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 93 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Braveboard top albums of 2006 
Metal Guru

Heavy Metal Breakdown wrote:
Well 6 of my Top 15 made the Top 15 on that list so that's cool. I'm surprised that Gojira and Melechesh were way down around 50 with the way everyone was babbling and hyping them up on here.

I agree, I thought Melechesh would have been higher on the list. I think the reason that they didnt get as high on is becuase lots of people still have yet to hear it becuase it has yet to be released in North America.

This is a little bit of a pet peeve of mine, and definitely a reason why so many deserving albums, while perhaps placing on two lists, probably don't place as high as would be representative of the general consensus on their quality. The Melechesh hasn't been released in NA stores yet, and therefore many either a) haven't heard it or b) don't include it on principle. The Gojira album actually came out in 2005, but not in NA until 2006. Some of us put it on our 2005 list, and don't see the need to include it on the 2006 one.

Personally, I never double dip. While others might see no harm in placing an album which has two release dates on two different lists, I find this to be counterproductive. In general, I put albums on my list according to their first release date, even if I don't hear them until the NA release. This means that some are omitted, but that's just the way the cookie crumbles. Others make their list according to when the albums are released in their area. Both of these methods make sense, but it leads to some silliness at times, like Arch Enemy's Wages Of Sin record making the BW&BK Top 10 two years in a row (though there was actually very little talk of it the second year, mostly because everyone had heard it and moved on).

So yeah, I hate it when an album in released in different parts of the world in differenent years, but such is the nature of the beast. I'd also like to see a golden standard emerge concerning the elligibility of such albums to lists like this, but that's not going to happen. So I guess we just deal with it the best we can, even if that means that great albums often go unnoticed on the end-of-the-year lists. Chances are, if an album makes more than one, it's pretty damn good, and will be heard regardless.

05 Jan 2007, 12:23
Metal Guru

I just would like to say thanks to all who put in a list (properly, haha).

you should make a list of the people who didn;t follow instructions :lol:

anyways, i'm not surprised with the results.. i'm surprised so many albums from my list made the list at all, even tho most ranked pretty low.

05 Jan 2007, 13:21
Metal Master

Lord of all Fire wrote:

That would be a LONG list,,,,, :lol:

05 Jan 2007, 13:25
MetalHead

Good to see Boris crack the charts at #90 ;)

05 Jan 2007, 13:26
Metal Master

I've been meaning to get my ears around that one for some time now,,,,,I'll get around to it one day,,,,,

05 Jan 2007, 13:31
Metal Guru

I'm kinda surprised Zyklon-Disintegrate didn't make the list

05 Jan 2007, 13:36
MetalHead

Crackrock wrote:

I've been meaning to get my ears around that one for some time now,,,,,I'll get around to it one day,,,,,

It's an awesome, supremely rockin' record... I believe the original CD pressing has liner notes in the shape of a sheet of pink acid tabs... fuckin cool

05 Jan 2007, 13:44
Metal Guru

i'm curious as to why LOAF didn't make it a 100 list.i mean,if you're gonna go to 90 why not add 10 more entries?

05 Jan 2007, 13:46
Metal Master

i'm curious as to why LOAF didn't make it a 100 list.i mean,if you're gonna go to 90 why not add 10 more entries?

I wondered the same thing,,,,,but I figured he must have had a reason,,,,,whatever it may be,,,,,

05 Jan 2007, 13:49
Metal Guru

Indeed, though again, another album that was on my 2005 list so it was inelligible this year. Still, really cool album from one of the most diverse acts out there, certainly one of the most interesting.

05 Jan 2007, 14:01
Metal Guru

Interesting to see Boris' "Pink" on there and not the Sunn/Boris Collab, which I thought would have been higher profile. that said the release of said album was later in the year and that might have factored into fewer people haveing heard it.

An interesting list. Nice job LOAF.

Like the second album by Portishead."

05 Jan 2007, 14:11
Metal Guru

Wow, excellent list. Great work, folks. :thumb:

Agalloch at #2, you've got to love that.

05 Jan 2007, 14:12
Headbanger

05 Jan 2007, 14:23
Metal Guru

I was going to put down 100 but fell short at 90 because I deleted all my data on anything lower than that, not thinking I would need to add more on to strech the list to 100. I can, however add 5 more.

05 Jan 2007, 14:25
Profile WWW
Metal Guru

Lord of all Fire wrote:

Just the ones who had ties and said 'in no paticualr order' or whatever were not counted.

05 Jan 2007, 14:29
Profile WWW
Metal Guru

I was going to put down 100 but fell short at 90 because I deleted all my data on anything lower than that, not thinking I would need to add more on to strech the list to 100. I can, however add 5 more.

oops! :lol:

90 is more than enough. :thumb:

05 Jan 2007, 14:36
Metal Guru

I'm kinda surprised Zyklon-Disintegrate didn't make the list

shit, that was from this year?! woulda put it on my list... :lol:

05 Jan 2007, 15:26
Metal Guru

Interesting as always and thanks LOAF. :abbath:

05 Jan 2007, 17:19
Metal Guru

05 Jan 2007, 17:20
Profile WWW
Metal Guru

Very cool and interesting list. Cheers to LOAF for doing all this every year. :cheers:

edit: good to see wota get a spot on there.

05 Jan 2007, 21:26
Metal Guru

Location: "Oh the snot has caked against my pants, it has turned into crystal"
Well 6 of my Top 15 made the Top 15 on that list so that's cool. I'm surprised that Gojira and Melechesh were way down around 50 with the way everyone was babbling and hyping them up on here.

I'm not surprised that Maiden is #1 on this list. I think it's akin to when the Rolling Stones tag line back in the 70s was that they were the world's greatest rock band & from the success of their tours to this day it's pretty easy to see there are plenty who buy into the hype despite the fact that it isn't true & the same scenario applies to Maiden IMO.

I think that the Gojira & Melechesh ranked so low down in the poll because the former came out earlier in the year & the latter late in the year(Hell, the Melechesh wasn't even officially released in NA till right around Xmas time.

RIP Arthur Lee(Love)

05 Jan 2007, 21:44
Metal Guru

Heavy Metal Breakdown wrote:

I think that the Gojira & Melechesh ranked so low down in the poll because the former came out earlier in the year & the latter late in the year(Hell, the Melechesh wasn't even officially released in NA till right around Xmas time.

I agree totaly. THis would just be a readers type of poll, as there are so many variables that go into it that make this system flawed. Where as writers to these mags usually get full promo copies of alot of albums and they are 'paid the big bucks' to critique these albums.

But like I said before this is just a fun thing for everyone and a good chance to hear some albums that you may not have really given a chance to before. Like the Gojira and Melechesh for instance.

I'm personaly disapointed that the Ministry album ranked so low, haha.

05 Jan 2007, 22:15
Profile WWW
Metal Guru

Location: "Oh the snot has caked against my pants, it has turned into crystal"

That's the way I feel about where Negura Bunget ranked.

RIP Arthur Lee(Love)

05 Jan 2007, 22:35
Metal Illuminati

Thanks LOAF - cool list!

+1

05 Jan 2007, 23:07
Metal Illuminati

Lord of all Fire wrote:

That's the way I feel about where Negura Bunget ranked.

Well, my top choice ranked at 49. Where it ranked isn't important to me... I was just happy to see it on a list somewhere.

This place has great, diverse taste. :beer:

05 Jan 2007, 23:12
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 93 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next