It is currently 16 Dec 2017, 06:05

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 123 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Braveboard Top Albums of 2014 
Metal Guru

Post Re: Braveboard Top Albums of 2014
Thanks LOAF! I must have shitty taste almost all my picks placed. :) That Portrait should have made it for me just listened again and was better than I remembered.

1 Hail Spirit Noir - Oi Magoi (62)
2 Mekong Delta - In a Mirror Darkly (DNP)
3 Falconer - Black Moon Rising (15)
4 Primordial - Where Greater Men Have Fallen (20)
5 Godflesh - A World Lit Only by Fire (30)
6 Exodus - Blood In Blood Out (4)
7 Judas Priest - Redeemer of Souls (6)
8 Bloodbath - Grand Morbid Funeral (13)
9 Helstar - This Wicked Nest (95)
10 Behemoth - The Satanist (3)
11 Opeth - Pale Communion (16)
12 Metal Inquisitor - Ultima Ratio Regis (DNP)
13 Accept - Blind Rage (22)
14 Agalloch - The Serpent & the Sphere (12)
15 Gamma Ray - Empire of the Undead (DNP)

11 Jan 2015, 08:44
Metal Guru

Location: St. Catharines, Ontario, Canada, Earth, Solar System, Orion Spur, Milky Way, Virgo Supercluster
Overlord Auciello wrote:
And now I'm thinking I should have done what a few other people did: list a non-metal record in my picks. That Four Foot Shack record by Les Claypool's Duo De Twang is awesome.

I try to do that every year as well. It's just that there really weren't any albums that caught my ears.

The closest non-metal album in my top 15 was Freak Kitchen.

Website My book Twitter Instagrim

Image Image
Metal_King wrote:
Sorry, I don't have a shit fetish.

11 Jan 2015, 09:52
Profile WWW
Metal Guru

I'm surprised the new Opeth ranked so high, since it seems like every single person on here railed against it in any thread about Opeth. I'm really happy it did, because I loved it. But, i'm still surprised. :lol:

President Bagel wrote:
Seriously, chill out, everypony. It's not everyone else's fault you're still using a 14.4k modem.

11 Jan 2015, 11:28
Metal Guru

Overlord Auciello wrote:
And now I'm thinking I should have done what a few other people did: list a non-metal record in my picks. That Four Foot Shack record by Les Claypool's Duo De Twang is awesome.

I love it, and thought about trying to find a place for it on my list but was too lazy and just stuck to metal albums.

The first time I heard that cover of Stayin Alive I cracked up laughing :lol: :m:

11 Jan 2015, 12:35
Metal Guru

1. Blood Of Kingu - Dark Star on the Right Horn of the Crescent Moon DNQ :cry:
2. Goatwhore - Constricting Rage of the Merciless 53?!
3. Trepaneringsritualen - Perfection & Permanence DNQ
4. GODFLESH - A World Lit Only By Fire 30
5. Control - Over Maschinenfest, Paris and Berlin (Nudity, Blinded Eyes and Burning Gear) DNQ
6. Electric Wizard - Time to Die 21
7. Aborted - The Necrotic Manifesto 55
8. Anaal Nathrakh - Desideratum 58
9. Pharmakon - Bestial Burden DNQ
10. 1349 - Massive Cauldron Of Chaos 93
11. Behemoth - The Satanist 3
12. Gnawed - Feign and Cloak DNQ
13. Cannibal Corpse - A Skeletal Domain 9
14. Rigor Mortis - Slaves to the Grave DNQ?! Booooo!
15. Myrkur - S/T DNQ

Now I understand the noise not getting on the list but no Blood of Kingu? I thought that Goatwhore would place higher too...that album rips!

Facebook
Scenery

11 Jan 2015, 15:17
Profile WWW
Metal Guru

It's sad to see that a band such as In Falmes cannot write an album that even cracks the top 100...

12 Jan 2015, 11:04
Metal Guru

Location: St. Catharines, Ontario, Canada, Earth, Solar System, Orion Spur, Milky Way, Virgo Supercluster
Bukowski wrote:
It's sad to see that a band such as In Falmes cannot write an album that even cracks the top 100...

I'm still wondering what happened to Cynic.

Image Image
Metal_King wrote:

12 Jan 2015, 22:57
Profile WWW
Metal Guru

People wisened up to how overrated and boring those bands are

Auslander, on Burning Ham wrote:
Of course, he's a complete twerp

12 Jan 2015, 22:59
Metal Guru

A few things I noticed from this year.

This was the 11th year of doing this I think and this was weakest year for participation. During the year I don't participate too much on this site so I can't comment on if its related to a slow year for the board.

Even though Sanctuary came out on top, it was not by much. There was not a lot of separation between the top ten. Usually there are two or three run away albums.

The stuff that didn't make the top 100 needed to be on one more list and could have cracked the top 20 easily.

I read the 'non metal list' thread. There are a few albums that could have sky rocketed if they were included in the 'metal' lists. Swans and Perturbator come to mind. Which is why I'd love to see more people giving their actual lists. Not just metal. I listened to a lot of stuff from peoples lists while completing the top 100 and to me its a very narrow range. But thats just me haha. Its not up to me to tell people what to do, I can only make suggestions.

I don't mean to be negative, but I feel like if this trend continues over the next few years I'll have to quit doing this (pass it on maybe). I know people appreciate it but this was the first time I really questioned its worth. Hopefully I'm over reacting because one bad year out of 11 isn't bad haha.

Honestly, I might be out of touch, but I didn't even know Sanctuary released new material. I know they reunited and toured this year, but thats it haha.

I like the individual list posting afterwards. Its a good idea, and like it was mentioned before, a good way to save your list on the board since the first thread doesn't get saved to the Hall of Fame.

12 Jan 2015, 23:25
Profile WWW
Metal Guru

Teach me your point system and I'll do it next year if you don't want to.

13 Jan 2015, 00:06
Metal Guru

I do agree with LoaF. I know it's a metal board and everything, but I would love if more people included non-metal albums on their list. I really see that, like he did, with that thread on fav non-metal albums. I'm already checking out a lot myself. There's a crapload of bands in that thread that i've never heard of. It's obvious that it wouldn't end up like some boring pop radio list. People here have great taste in both metal and non-metal. It would be neat to see that latter better represented on the list!

And yes, the hilarity of making an already difficult list to compile even more difficult is fun!

President Bagel wrote:
Seriously, chill out, everypony. It's not everyone else's fault you're still using a 14.4k modem.

13 Jan 2015, 00:26
Metal Guru

I think the official list should be metal only, 'cause that's why we come here--to discover more of that genre. Having it filled with all sorts of other stuff is completely beside the point here.

13 Jan 2015, 07:09
Metal Guru

Lord of all Fire wrote:
I don't mean to be negative, but I feel like if this trend continues over the next few years I'll have to quit doing this (pass it on maybe). I know people appreciate it but this was the first time I really questioned its worth. Hopefully I'm over reacting because one bad year out of 11 isn't bad haha.

If you do want to pass it on, I still have that script that outputs the tally from the posts in one click.

13 Jan 2015, 07:20
Metal Guru

Personally, I buy 4-5 records a year, so I can't even do a top 10 list. But yeah, I've noticed the Board is less busy.

13 Jan 2015, 09:06
Metal Guru

thelostpatrol wrote:
I think the official list should be metal only, 'cause that's why we come here--to discover more of that genre. Having it filled with all sorts of other stuff is completely beside the point here.

Adding to this: If people want to do a top ten non-metal list we can do it as a separate thing. All genres besides metal could get thrown in here. I doubt it would make much sense to tally it but I welcome the thread any time anyone wants to do it.

As far as participation dropoff goes, that's just the consequence of this board's shrinking userbase. This place thrived even two years ago compared to today. Most users have left, and their lists left with them. There really isn't much to be done about that unless the board starts to pick up again.

13 Jan 2015, 09:53
Metal Guru

thelostpatrol wrote:

Then you'd have to define what's metal. Is Scorpions metal? Some say so.

13 Jan 2015, 12:36
Metal Guru

thelostpatrol wrote:
As far as participation dropoff goes, that's just the consequence of this board's shrinking userbase. This place thrived even two years ago compared to today. Most users have left, and their lists left with them. There really isn't much to be done about that unless the board starts to pick up again.

And to be honest, the fact that the Board is still being "worked on" to merge with the rest of the site may be a reason why it's failing.

That, and "The Tavern" is for Subs only. If someone wanted to join this board, all they see is The Oracle, people Bickering, and a very weak Musicians Forum.

There's not much drive to pull new people in.

Perhaps it's time to make The Tavern public again.

Image Image
Metal_King wrote:

Last edited by OptionalPlayer on 13 Jan 2015, 14:46, edited 1 time in total.

13 Jan 2015, 14:02
Profile WWW
Metal Guru

Necro Priest wrote:
thelostpatrol wrote:

Then you'd have to define what's metal. Is Scorpions metal? Some say so.

No you don't. Eleven years now nobody seems to have had a problem with this.

13 Jan 2015, 14:39
Metal Guru

OptionalPlayer wrote:
thelostpatrol wrote:

And to be honest, the fact that the Board is still being "worked on" to merge woth the rest of the site may be a reason why it's failing.

That, and "The Tavern" is for Subs only. If someone wanted to join this board, all they see is The Oracle, people Bickering, and a very weak Musicians Forum.

A new layout to match the rest of the site and not make this place seem like a Geocities-era abortion would be nice too. :)

13 Jan 2015, 14:45
Metal Guru

thelostpatrol wrote:
OptionalPlayer wrote:
thelostpatrol wrote:

And to be honest, the fact that the Board is still being "worked on" to merge woth the rest of the site may be a reason why it's failing.

A new layout to match the rest of the site and not make this place seem like a Geocities-era abortion would be nice too. :)

I continued this in the "Feedback" section as I feel it could be address better than in here.

Image Image
Metal_King wrote:

13 Jan 2015, 14:47
Profile WWW
Metal Guru

Location: Ottawa (the city that fun forgot but don't tell the bands that)
thelostpatrol wrote:

Fair assessment. That said, did anyone notice that The Endless River made #100 at the bottom of the actual chart especially considering there's not the greatest of appreciation of Pink Floyd amongst members of this board? Or maybe there is which was why the thread is bringing up the issue of including non-metal albums into the list just now.

13 Jan 2015, 19:18
Metal Guru

I think that especially with the dropoff in users, if we start adding genres to the list it's going to get even more difficult to gauge what is most and least popular.

13 Jan 2015, 19:44
Metal Guru

It would be neat to have a separate non-metal poll. I'm all for either throwing my votes away in the regular metal list or putting them into a separate list! :beer:

President Bagel wrote:

13 Jan 2015, 21:40
Metal Guru

thelostpatrol wrote:
I think that especially with the dropoff in users, if we start adding genres to the list it's going to get even more difficult to gauge what is most and least popular.

Good point.

14 Jan 2015, 02:36
Profile WWW
Metal Guru

I prefer to not have separate lists-- the Oracle has always been about all music discussion, not just Metal.

Also, there are plenty of 'crossover' bands like Bad Religion, Social Distortion, etc. that have plenty of metal fans in their ranks and may have albums ranked, which is always interesting to see. And if it happens on the off-chance to be a year Rush releases an album, that whole metal/non-metal debate will pop up again.

Given the board, it will obviously be predominantly metal.

And what list will LOAF's guaranteed annual addition of Bohren & Der Club of Gore belong to?

14 Jan 2015, 05:46
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 123 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next