It is currently 21 Sep 2014, 23:22

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 178 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
 Braveboard Top Albums of 2012 
Metal Guru

Post Re: Braveboard Top Albums of 2012
First off, thanks again for taking the time of compiling this list and showing us all what bad taste most people have, it proves it's not just the general metal public, but the braveboard public too. :) .. It really is appreciated! :cheers:

Not surprisingly, the top 10 shows just how little the majority of people like to explore, or think outside the box. If Van Halen or Kreator were better than Lunar Aurora or Bell Witch when it comes to metal in 2012, then I'll be a monkey's uncle.

Also, I know the Saturnus album came out pretty late, but many of you need to check it out. It's excellent. As well as Kaevum. Those are two albums that didn't place that i believe should have. Oh and Minenwerfer

01. Lunar Aurora - Hoagascht - #23
02. Bell Witch - Longing - #84
03. Mgla - With Hearts Toward None - #36
04. Heimdalls Wacht - Ekte Westfäölske Svatte Metal - #70
05. Saturnus - Saturn in Ascension - DNP
06. Pallbearer - Sorrow and Extinction - #19
07. Jess and the Ancient Ones - Jess and the Ancient Ones - #45
08. Kaevum - Natur - DNP
09. Denial of God - Death and the Beyond - #54
10. Satan's Satyrs - Wild Beyond Belief! - DNP
11. Astra - The Black Chord - DNP
12. Minenwerfer - Nihilistischen - DNP
13. Incantation - Vanquish in Vengeance - #74
14. Árstíðir Lífsins - Vápna lækjar eldr - DNP
15. Asphyx - Deathhammer - #5

Honourable Mentions:

Admiral Sir Cloudesley Shovell - Don't Hear it... Feat it. - DNP
High on Fire - De Vermis Mysteriis - #21
Wehrhammer - Der Befehl - DNP
Anathema - Weather Systems - #4
Undergang - Til Døden Os Skiller - DNP

07 Jan 2013, 11:05
Metal Guru

Apparently I have way more releases to catch up on than I thought. Thanks again for doing this, LOAF! :m:

07 Jan 2013, 12:03
Metal Guru

Yep, thanks for your time. Another year, another interesting list.

:beer:

http://www.youtube.com/user/Monos4

07 Jan 2013, 14:49
Metal Guru

I soooooo would have ranked the new Aeon album higher than #15 on my list, if I could have a do over. Man, that album fucking crushes! Path Of Fire was pretty forgettable, IMO, after the strong Rise To Dominate, but they really elevated their game, on this one. Even the lame/campy lyrics don't interfere with it. Just a crushing effort, from start to finish. One of the best production jobs I've heard on a recent death metal album, to boot.

ANTROPOMORPHIA - Rites Ov Perversion
CANNIBAL CORPSE - A Skeletal Domain
STRIKER - City Of Gold
ACCEPT - Stalingrad
ACCEPT - Blood Of The Nations

07 Jan 2013, 18:44
Metal Guru

Thanks for doing this again LOAF! :beer:

Here's how my picks fared:

1. Be'lakor - Of Breath and Bone #42
2. Wintersun - Time I #32
3. Witchcraft - Legend #16
4. Anathema - Weather Systems #4
5. Katatonia - Dead End Kings #6
6. Enslaved - RITTIR #1
7. Anaal Nathrakh - Vanitas #29
8. Daylight Dies - Frail Becoming #22
9. Vintersorg - Orkan #91
10. Behexen - Nightside Emanations #60
11. Nile - At The Gate Of Sethu #12
12. Candlemass - Psalms For The Dead #43
13. Sabaton - Carolus Rex DNR
14. Rush - Clockwork Angels #11
15. Zonaria - Arrival Of The Red Sun DNR

07 Jan 2013, 20:49
Metal Guru

Let's see how I fared...

1. Accept - Stalingrad #15
2. Paradise Lost - Tragic Idol #14
3. Kreator - Phantom Antichrist #10
4. Black Breath - Sentenced to Life DNR the fuck?!
5. Candlemass - Psalms for the Dead #43
6. Dawnbringer - Into the Lair of the Sun God #56
7. Angelus Apátrida - The Call DNR the fuck?!
8. Asphyx - Deathhammer #5
9. Grave - Endless Procession of Souls #25
10. Hour of 13 - 333 DNR shit!
11. Swallow the Sun - Emerald Forest and the Blackbird DNR urrrgh!!!
12. Daylight Dies - A Frail Beginning #22
13. A Sound of Thunder - Out of the Darkness DNR fuck!!
14. Hooded Menace - Effigies of Evil DNR whaaa???
15. Huntress - Spell Eater DNR heehee :evil:

Thanks for compiling. :beer:

07 Jan 2013, 21:37
Metal Guru

1. Corrosion of Conformity - s/t (86)
2. The Wretched End - Inroads (DNR)
3. Converge - All We Love We Leave Behind (69)
4. Deftones - Koi no Yokan (44)
5. Daylight Dies - A Frail Becoming (22)
6. Black September - Into the Darkness Into the Void (DNR)
7. Enslaved - RIITIIR (1)
8. Neurosis - Honor Found in Decay (99)
9. El Doom & The Born Electric - s/t (DNR)
10. Bison BC - Lovelessness (DNR)
11. Cannibal Corpse - Torture (3)
12. Every Time I Die - Ex Lives (DNR)
13. Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth (8)
14. Primate - Draw Back A Stump (DNR)
15. Incantation - Vanquish in Vengeance (75)

Enslaved - Ruun
Opeth - Pale Communion
Rush - Permanent Waves

08 Jan 2013, 12:43
Metal Guru

Blasphomet wrote:
First off, thanks again for taking the time of compiling this list and showing us all what bad taste most people have, it proves it's not just the general metal public, but the braveboard public too. :) .. It really is appreciated! :cheers:

Not surprisingly, the top 10 shows just how little the majority of people like to explore, or think outside the box. If Van Halen or Kreator were better than Lunar Aurora or Bell Witch when it comes to metal in 2012, then I'll be a monkey's uncle.

So, where would you suggest us non-exploratory folks with such bad taste go to discover new music? I can't stream music at work, and have limited time to just sit and listen to music at home...

08 Jan 2013, 12:55
Metal Guru

You're on the internet, aren't you?

Auslander, on Burning Ham wrote:
Of course, he's a complete twerp

08 Jan 2013, 16:47
Metal Guru

Something tells me that if Blasphomet's listed bands were on our Top 15s, they wouldn't be on his.

08 Jan 2013, 17:03
Metal Guru

thelostpatrol wrote:
Something tells me that if Blasphomet's listed bands were on our Top 15s, they wouldn't be on his.

I'm with Sexy Avatar on this one.

08 Jan 2013, 17:06
Metal Guru

Blasphomet is just bitter because he has horrible taste in music.

08 Jan 2013, 17:25
Metal Guru

I get kind of annoyed when people paint with a broad brush and assume that everybody who likes popular things just hasn’t bothered to listen to anything else. That is certainly the case with some, but at the same time there are a lot of people that simply prefer cleanly produced thrash to other types of metal. People have different tastes, and some people have what I consider really bad taste. All of those people wouldn’t have the same top 15 as me though, even if they did listen to all of the same albums that I did.

Blasphomet mentions Bell Witch, and that’s a killer album. It’s really unique and interesting, but it’s also a two man funeral doom project that uses only bass, drums and vocals. Would the people that voted for Kreator really like that album better if they listened to it? I am pretty sure that most of them wouldn’t, and it isn’t that difficult to figure out why something like Bell Witch isn’t on more lists. I do wish that people would branch out a little bit more sometimes, or dig a little bit deeper when they make their picks, but that doesn’t mean that some of them wouldn’t still rank that Kreator album in their top 15. I listened to a lot of stuff last year, and at the end of the day, Testament's new album was very close to making my cut.

08 Jan 2013, 17:56
Metal Guru

Feh, that motherfucker didn't give Lacuna Coil a single listen either. Prove me wrong, Blasphomet! :)

08 Jan 2013, 18:29
Metal Guru

it's the flip-side of the ''most people dont investigate new stuff much'' argument,i guarantee you a lot of the underground elite folk will automatically dismiss a new Kreator album cause ''it ain't as good as Endless pain.'' or a new Van Halen album cause ''fuck that mainstream bullshit''.

08 Jan 2013, 18:33
Metal Guru

Firefarter wrote:
it's the flip-side of the ''most people dont investigate new stuff much'' argument,i guarantee you a lot of the underground elite folk will automatically dismiss a new Kreator album cause ''it ain't as good as Endless pain.'' or a new Van Halen album cause ''fuck that mainstream bullshit''.

That’s actually a valid point, and it would be interesting to see how many people that rip some of the more common picks actually listened to those albums. At the same time though, bands do often reach a point where you know what they are going to do an can just pretty much write them off. I don’t need to hear a new In Flames album to know that I would hate it, and I don’t need to listen to the new Van Halen to know that it isn’t going to make me like a band that I never had more than a casual respect for. I tend to talk out of both sides of my mouth on this topic though, because as much as I feel like a lot of people just stick to what they know and don’t branch out, I also think that it is completely valid for somebody to like a new Kreator album more than an extreme funeral doom, or raw death metal album. I am a two face fuck on this one, and only my own list is true. :)

08 Jan 2013, 18:49
Metal Guru

I, at least personally, don't find that to be true. I listen to mostly everything. Kreator is far from "mainstream" - even for metal fans.
In these days of youtube and countless 'review' sites - it doesn't take long to find dozens of different things and gems - which is very, very worth doing.
Looking at some people's lists you can pretty much tell they don't seek anything new out.

Rigor Mortis
Horrendous
Scar Symmetry
Deserted Fear

08 Jan 2013, 19:00
Metal Guru

Yeah, and that's why I got momentarily spastic in another thread, about Kiss being #4 on the BW&BK list (before I saw the rest of their picks, and began to agree with the general consensus, etc). I don't get to listen to thousands of new albums a year, like some people (more in the lower hundreds), but from this past year, I can honestly say I'd much rather listen to the new Van Halen or Kiss albums than, say, the new albums by, I dunno...Coffin Texts, or Binah, or Mongrel's Cross, or whatever the hell else (I would also take the new Kreator or Testament albums over any of those bands as well, I might add). And I'm largely known as a 'death metal guy' in these parts, last I checked. Why is that so unreasonable?

People like what they like, for whatever reasons, and I accept that. The constant need to chastise or berate others for their lack of 'troo-ness'...it annoys the fuck out of me.

STRIKER - City Of Gold
ACCEPT - Stalingrad

Last edited by Darth Ballz on 08 Jan 2013, 19:49, edited 1 time in total.

08 Jan 2013, 19:04
Metal Guru

muzik_kat wrote:
Looking at some people's lists you can pretty much tell they don't seek anything new out.

Yeah, and I think it was NSV who once mentioned a point along the lines of 'At what point does it go from being a Top 15, to it being a list of HERE ARE ALL THE ALBUMS I BOUGHT THIS YEAR...' type of situation (please correct me if I am wrong, NSV, but I am fairly certain it was you that said it, and that was close to how you worded it), and I think that ties into the point you made above. But again I say...whatever. Those are simply the users whose opinions I ignore, in favor of other members who I know have wider ranging tastes, and/or access to more music than those who fall into the former category. And that's fine, by me. I can't dictate what the music listening/buying habits of others should be, nor do I expect the same to be done to myself. It is what it is.

STRIKER - City Of Gold
ACCEPT - Stalingrad

08 Jan 2013, 19:09
Metal Guru

Burst Command Til War wrote:

Apparently you mistook my question for sarcasm...I actually meant "Where??" Yes, I am on the internet, but I can't stream stuff (from places like Bandcamp or Spotify) so I'm relegated to getting suggestions and listening to them on my own time. However, WHERE I go to get those suggestions is the question. That's why I asked...

08 Jan 2013, 19:52
Metal Guru

1- Dark Fury/Evil/Pagan Hellfire 'We Know How To Hate' DNR (no shock really, it's not like this one got any press/promotion)
2- Sigh 'In Somniphobia' 31
3- Xasthur 'Nightmares At Dawn' DNR (again, not really surprised being that it's more or less a comp disc)
4- Napalm Death 'Utilitarian' 9
5- The Devin Townsend Project 'Epicloud' 13 (thought this one would've ranked higher...)
6- Pig Destroyer 'Book Burner' 33
7- Anaal Nathrakh 'Vanitas' 29
8- Ex Deo 'Caligula' 96
9- Woods of Ypres 'Grey Skies & Electric Lights' 7
10- Tankard 'A Girl Called Cerveza' 92
11- Burzum 'Umskiptar' DNR (Wow, I honestly didn't expect that...)
12- Dead Culture Society 'Life Dies Before Us' DNR (if you like Sentenced/Poisonblack, you should check these guys out. Great stuff)
13- Epica 'Requiem For The Indifferent' DNR (I had to go through the list a few times to make sure this was correct...)
14- Moonspell 'Alpha Noir/Omega White' 35
15- My Dying Bride 'Map Of All Our Failures' DNR (? WHA???)

08 Jan 2013, 19:56
Metal Guru

Solomon Grundy wrote:
Burst Command Til War wrote:

Apparently you mistook my question for sarcasm...I actually meant "Where??" Yes, I am on the internet, but I can't stream stuff (from places like Bandcamp or Spotify) so I'm relegated to getting suggestions and listening to them on my own time. However, WHERE I go to get those suggestions is the question. That's why I asked...

:lol: This board, and this thread in particular is a pretty good place to get suggestions. You could always make a thread asking for bands that are similar to something else that you like, and see what people recommend. As for checking stuff out, Youtube is a pretty good way to sample things these days. You can get an idea of you like things there and if you do, just go about acquiring the album like you would any other. It isn’t exactly rocket science.

08 Jan 2013, 19:59
Metal Guru

Yeah, gone are the days when I could flip open my dog eared copy of Metal Maniacs, or put The Power Hour (or later, The Power 30) on TV, and discover all kinds of new shit. This board is pretty much where I come across most of the new stuff I listen to these days. There are NUMEROUS members on here who are constantly opening my eyes/ears to bands I haven't heard before. There are a couple review sites I go on that introduce me to new stuff once in a while, but this forum is pretty much it, really, in my case. And after that, yeah, a lot of You Tube use, Metal Archives, etc. My Space used to be good too, but it's pretty much a dead medium, nowadays.

STRIKER - City Of Gold
ACCEPT - Stalingrad

08 Jan 2013, 20:15
Metal Guru

As for BMD's assumption of if my list of albums were on your lists they wouldn't be on mine, you couldn't be more wrong. I am guessing that was just tongue in cheek.

As for where to start, as Grundy asked, you could start by browsing the Now Playing thread. That is usually where the people that have some interesting taste post, and it's why there are probably about 15 members total who post there with and kind of regularity. Because that is the number of members who seem to have interesting taste, and know that they have good taste, and like to share it with people who also have good and interesting taste.

As for Firefarter saying I have terrible taste in music. I just check out your list and it is as generic as it gets. That being said, aside froma couple bands on there, like Kiss and Aborted, I like all the bands on your list, including NOFX, but I'll be god damned if Kiss or Van Halen out out one of the best albums of the year. So with that now being said, it looks like you made your list based upon a very boring, enexploraty venture into the halls of metal this year, and probably do the same every year. I could sit there and listen to the same old same old every year too, but if i did, i'd have to shoot myself in the head. My taste in music varies immensely, so I'd put a lot of money on you being completely wrong in your assessment of me having bad taste. :)

Which again brings me to Anhur saying I painted with a broad brush. You're right, I did, and the list doesn't do much to prove i am wrong in doing so. The list was similar last year, and many years previous when i checked out the older ones in the hall of fame. I think it's generic and boring with a few exceptions. I don't think it makes me a bad person, and I'm pretty sure a lot of other people here would agree.

It's no biggy really. I could have just said "Hey great job LoaF! See you again next year!" and left it at that... but i didn't. Because that would be boring. :)

Last edited by Blasphomet on 08 Jan 2013, 20:55, edited 2 times in total.

08 Jan 2013, 20:46
Metal Guru

Blasphomet wrote:
As for BMD's assumption of if my list of albums were on your lists they wouldn't be on mine, you couldn't be more wrong. I am guessing that was just tongue in cheek.

Hey, hey, hey... that was tlp's take first! :)

08 Jan 2013, 20:54
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 178 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next