It is currently 24 Oct 2014, 18:51

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 570 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 23  Next
 Adrian 'The Energizer' Bromley - Rest In Peace 
Metal Guru

Post Re: Adrian 'The Energizer' Bromley - Rest In Peace
wow, I really don't know what to say, this is such a shock
Rest In Peace Adrian, we'll all miss you :(

my condolences to his family, losing a family member is always hard, but especially so when they're so young :(

08 Dec 2008, 14:54
Metal Guru

I have so many great memories that involve Adrian- we met sooo many years ago in the good old mIRC days...So many great memories... Metalfest trips etc etc...

RIP Adrian, you will be greatly missed!!!

08 Dec 2008, 14:56
Profile WWW
Metal Illuminati

:guitar:

"Did you hear the new (fill in band's name)? Oh. It's awesome."

The "Oh" would be like a sigh. The "It's awesome" would almost always be punctuated by him putting his hands up to shoulder level with fingers outstretched.

He savoured his music. He loved metal. He loved the scene. He loved people. And we loved him back. How could you not?

Adrian Bromley was born to live in the world of heavy metal. And he did. He was always true to himself in ways most people would not be able to manage. He was brave that way.

And here was a man who could absorb almost any blow, shrug it off and keep going. He faced a lot of challenges in the years I knew him, and his ability to remain positive amazed me. He just dealt with things, put them in proper perspective and moved forward.

The one time I knew he was really hurting was earlier this year, when his father passed. Every other time he faced something tough, he was simply unflappable. It was remarkable to watch. Also remarkable was his kindness and generosity.

I met him not long after I joined this board in the summer of '02. I was 33, just getting back into metal, and I came to this board.

And in this place, it wasn't hard to notice this guy who was posting constantly. Mister Pink Bunny. Average of about 70+ posts per day -- and it was clear he was having fun. He made the place immediately endearing.

At the time, Adrian was between jobs, and his presence here was like his presence at shows or a gathering of friends -- he was the main event. In those days, his post count was way ahead of anyone else's. He was always online and contributing something.

We got to know each other. Before long, we were going record shopping. I accompanied him on some vinyl hunts... he was like a hunter who was searching for his prey. They could have done a Wild Kingdom style show based on his ability to sniff out the most obscure metal vinyl.

This shot is from August, 2005... on a day I tried to help him sort his records. What a collection.

His apartment was jammed with CDs. The sheer number of demos he'd get in a day was daunting, never mind what it all added up to in a week or month. I don't know how he could process it all and appreciate the best stuff.

But he could. Metal was in his blood.

He was generous with me -- he'd give me a lot of CDs to try. He'd also give me advice on bands. I followed his tips and discovered music that has enriched my life. I'm sure I'm not the only one who benefited that from Adrian's metal-sherpa ways.

One of my enduring memories will be all the times I found myself alone, CD shopping downtown. If I wasn't sure what to get, I'd call Adrian for a recommendation (something I did often) and take a listen. Our tastes were different, but it was cool to have a friend I could rely on for that.

Before I met him, I was pretty sure I was too old to go to concerts. He showed me I was wrong, and I've been to many since then. I've met a lot of wonderful people from the Braveboard because of that -- and I have Adrian to thank.

Now, about those shows. Well, as I said -- he was the main event. It seemed he knew just about everyone. He was knocking back beers, joking around, and just enjoying everything.

One time as we were getting ready to go to a show, he mentioned that he wanted to lose weight. So I told him that pounding back 10 Molson Drys on a regular basis at an Opera House concert wasn't helping.

Off to the show we went -- he was determined to have "one or two beers... maximum."

He had 13 or 14. He lost count. But then, so many people loved him, and expressed it by buying him beer.

I can't remember if that was the show where he started grabbing my ass, but you know, whatever. :drunk:

When he told me he was leaving for New York, I was upset. It was selfish, but I didn't want to lose my friend. We knew about a year in advance he was leaving... and it made me sad. At the same time, my life started to get really busy.

So as it turned out, our friendship morphed into something mostly electronic... this board, MSN, email, phone conversations. We were both so busy that even before he moved, we only saw each other 2-3 times that year.

After that, I went to visit him once a year in NYC (Nov. '06 & Nov. '07) and in a sense, it wasn't a whole lot different than having him here in Toronto. We were always in touch. It was good.

I only saw Adrian in person once since his return to Toronto. He came over with his wonderful fiancee, Renee. A cup of tea, some biscotti and some talk. It was good to see them both.

As they left and walked up my street, I watched. There they went, two happy people I didn't see enough of. I made a mental note to try to see him more while he was in Toronto. And I did try. So did he. But we were both busy. So, that walk was the last time I saw Adrian.

Yesterday, before I got the call, I sent Adrian a couple of messages. One was in the hopes of meeting up with him next Friday. I will still head out on Friday, and I will have the beer I would have had in his presence. I will toast him, and give thanks for knowing him.

He was supposed to come over to the house later this month to help me celebrate my 40th b-day. I was looking forward to watching him work the room, make people laugh and refuse to take a picture without throwing up the horns. In other words, be The Main Event. Renee -- sweetheart that she is -- was supposed to be here, too.

My heart goes out to her, and to Adrian's family.

I never had a brother, but I've always considered my closest friends to be my blood. Adrian is in that small circle.

I love him -- and I will miss him.

:guitar:

08 Dec 2008, 14:57
Metal Guru

Firstly, my deepest condolences to his lovely fiancé Renee, his family and all his friends.

I heard the news early, and with great difficulty had the time to write down some thoughts. I would encourage people to do the same, and make this thread a positive reflection of the great guy that he was. Some of you may not realize that Adrian and I were good buds. The following is a sort of testament to everything I knew about him.

How we met
I knew his name, but I called him MPB. He called me RDO. No questions. I don’t know why, probably a mixture of mutual respect and the fact that we both didn't care about the small things.

It was 2001 when I first heard of him, the man who called himself “Mister Pink Bunny”. He arrived to this online forum we all know as the Braveboard, and I knew right away based on his eagerness and his energizer bunny avatar, this guy was loaded with energy. What I didn’t know is that he was one of the dudes who initiated the legendary Chronicles of Chaos, co-edited Unrestrained! Magazine, contributed to Metal Maniacs, a former writer for M.E.A.T., a future member of The End Records, the man who would launch The Northern Lights Festival, his own label, and the list goes on and on. I also didn’t know about his golden character, his ridiculous sense of humour, or the fact that he would become a mentor and a friend.

Work Ethic
I haven’t seen all sides of it but MPB was always about the big picture and getting it done. Everything had to be huge. The Northern Lights Festival had to be a success, the magazines content needed to be primo, and if he had an idea you would hear about it no matter what time of day it was. If he wanted something done and needed your help, before you knew it you would be doing it. He was persuasive. He was also a worker bee. His work ethic was unrivalled, his networking capacities impossible to measure. To this day I have no idea how he kept in touch with all the metalheads and bands he knew, and it wouldn’t be crazy to imagine that there were in fact 10 MPB’s. After a while I just gave up, and figured he knew everybody.

Humour
His joking mood was almost constant. Whether or not his jokes were funny wasn’t an issue, just hearing him or imagining him chuckle made me laugh. He also had the habit of leaving me the most ridiculous voicemail messages, which he knew I would record and make videos out of. (found here and here). If you watch that, that’ s just the kind of guy he was, always fun, jovial. He could cheer you up in an instant.

Passionate
Whether the topic was Barak Obama (his last avatar), or pushing the cause for the wrongfully imprisoned West Memphis Three, vinyl, Boston, Kiss, the years top films, the years top metal bands, talking about his family, MPB was always incredibly passionate and enthusiastic about things that interested him or causes that he felt were worthy (he got me listening to Boston, go figure). Last but absolutely not least, this side of MPB was most proudly displayed in the current year as he made his thoughts clear to us regarding his bride to be Renée. In the 7 years I’ve known him, I’ve never seen him happier.

Motivator
I think I first realized how motivating he was when I asked him to help me find a webzine to write reviews for and he suggested I write for U!. I remember showing him some past work, and telling him I was reluctant since I had minimal experience, to which he told me: “Dude, you’re totally metal!”. I’m sure that wasn’t his only reasoning but that’s an example of how he could encourage someone and make them comfortable at the same time. He was a great at getting me to do the things I wasn’t sure I could do.

Friendship
Besides having met him in Toronto, our friendship was mostly based on weekly phone conversation. As odd as it may seem, we barely talked about metal, and almost always talked about movies, the board, the weather, my videos or the magazine. The last time we actually spoke about metal was a few weeks ago when I asked him: “So what would you give the new Metallica?”, to which replied, “Meh, seven.” Like someone previously stated, he was great at having 3 conversations at once, and was never boring to talk to. Just always a hoot.

Various Stories (I may add more as they come to me today)
The infamous one I can think of goes back to about 2002 or 2003 or so. There was a cool young American metalhead on the board who made many friends very quickly, his name was Eucharist. He was a regular for a long time and came in every day. One time, he disappeared for a week, and nobody knew where he was. MPB, always on the go and not afraid to take it one step further, contacted the state police who showed up at his address. Eucharist’s mom answered the door and said he was away visiting his father.

In conclusion, Adrian, you have been a great friend to me, I will always miss you. Even though the bunny is at rest, your energy and intensity was so great it will go on and on forever in everyone you knew including me.

Thank you for everything.
RDO

Last edited by RealDeadOne on 08 Dec 2008, 15:19, edited 3 times in total.

08 Dec 2008, 15:04
Profile WWW
Metal Guru

I cant believe it....It was only this last friday that i went over and saw Adrian...this is truely shocking....Adrian was a good friend and was someone who you could talk to about anything and everything. I owe Adrian a lot for all his words and advise over the years. Rest in peace my friend. You will be missed.

RECKON WITH ONE Ep "Before the Storm" Out now!! New album "Tornadic" currently being worked on.

08 Dec 2008, 15:06
Profile WWW
Metal Guru

Meredith/Draven just called me now. She's at work and can't get on the board but she sends her love and thoughts to Adrian's family and friends.

Big Metal Dude wrote:
What's funny to me is that we all claim to be adults here.

08 Dec 2008, 15:13
Metal Guru

I was shocked and disbelieving when April texted me the news. I don't know what to say.

:(

My heart goes out to his fiance, the Bromley family, friends and the entire BB community. This is a great loss.

:cry: :cry:

08 Dec 2008, 15:21
Profile WWW
Metal Guru

I'm at a loss for words and still having a hard time accepting this as truth. I especially feel bad for Renee, Winston and Sarah. He was way too young and had a great future with Renee ahead of him.

Not fair.

R.I.P. buddy :(

08 Dec 2008, 15:22
Metal Guru

Such sad news. A great guy with boundless energy, great sense of humour and an absolute pleasure to meet and be in contact with.

My condolances to everyone close to him, my thoughts are with you.

Like the second album by Portishead."

08 Dec 2008, 15:22
Metal Guru

some photos of just a few of the many many great times with adrian..

08 Dec 2008, 15:27
Metal Guru

I was just thinking about the first time I met Adrian.. It was before Kataklysm last summer, and we were all pre-drinking heartily at the Blue Moon. I remember everyone feeling pretty good and I think Adrian ended up with a rose somehow. New Machine Alex and I went out for a smoke, Adrian wandered up, saw Jimmy across the street..It's a little hazy because I was pretty buzzed, but I do remember almost peeing myself laughing at Adrian launching himself at Jimmy, kissing him square on the mouth :lol:

Big Metal Dude wrote:
What's funny to me is that we all claim to be adults here.

08 Dec 2008, 15:32
Metal Guru

i've opened this reply box a few times now, feeling i'd like to say something, but, i dont know how to put words around what i'd like to express. i'd like to keep this positive, like he was, but i feel crushed.

adrian let me crash at his place in NY for a weekend, i think it was actually right around the time he first spoke to renee, and i had a blast hanging out with the guy. he showed me all the sights, made me watch uncle buck and was just generally enthusiastic, accomodating and fun.

i didnt know him nearly as well as many people here, but much like his enthusiasm and positive attitude, the grief of his passing will touch everyone who knew him. he is dear to us all, and always will be. if there was a school for metal i'd name it after him.

Rook wrote:
nothing about you is normal. it's all just awful.

Big Metal Dude wrote:
YOU GUYS NEED TO MEET SKURJ! She's awesome live!

08 Dec 2008, 15:44
Profile WWW
Metal Guru

I can't believe this, it's such a shock. Condolences to his family and to his fiancee, Renee. We've lost an amazing guy.

I didn't know Adrian nearly as well as the Toronto scene did, but we hung out a few times at shows when he was in Montreal. And I'll never forget his quick response to emails and phone calls while he was at The End and we were in the process of setting up interviews.

What I'll remember most, though, is how caring he was. My girlfriend and I were in Toronto for a weekend in August, 2005 and we happened to check out a metal show at El Mocambo. We were hoping to catch the last subway after the show and we mentioned that to Adrian in passing during our conversation. A few hours later Adrian was at the other side of the venue, but he came rushing towards us... He told us the last street-car was going to be leaving soon, and that we should catch it if we wanted to make the last subway.

He went out of his way at the show to make sure my girlfriend and I made it back to our hotel ok. I was so impressed with that at the time, and I've never forgotten it. I never will.

RIP Adrian. :(

08 Dec 2008, 15:45
Metal Guru

I can't believe it... R.I.P Adrian.

08 Dec 2008, 15:49
Profile ICQ WWW
Metal Guru

I'm in shock, I still can't believe this is real. I found out when I saw Metal Queen's status on Facebook, then I came here and found the news. Lots of good memories hanging out with Adrian, at Toronto shows a few years back as well as when we attended the Classic Metal Fest a couple of years in a row. And of course, raiding used vinyl stores with him was always epic. :)

Just a couple of weeks ago I was telling him that we should meet soon since we hadn't seen each others in years.... argh... Sorry, I'm at a loss for words and I can barely see the characters on the screen now.

R.I.P. my friend....

08 Dec 2008, 15:50
Profile WWW
Metal Guru

zombieattak wrote:
I was just thinking about the first time I met Adrian.. It was before Kataklysm last summer, and we were all pre-drinking heartily at the Blue Moon. I remember everyone feeling pretty good and I think Adrian ended up with a rose somehow. New Machine Alex and I went out for a smoke, Adrian wandered up, saw Jimmy across the street..It's a little hazy because I was pretty buzzed, but I do remember almost peeing myself laughing at Adrian launching himself at Jimmy, kissing him square on the mouth :lol:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

That was pretty amazing.

08 Dec 2008, 15:50
Metal Master

Beautiful words Auci and RDO. His network was simply unmatched.

At Progpower, the guy had me in tears with his humor. He sat right behind me when EPICA was on and we were both admiring the 'view.' We were texting each other and I felt something graze across the back of my head. There was Adrian texting..."I just blew my load on the back of your head." I turn around and we just start cracking up. :lol: :roll:

Alas, he has me in tears again today.

08 Dec 2008, 15:51
Metal Guru

http://www.metalrab.com (coming soon dizzles)

Last edited by RabaFlab Rab on 08 Dec 2008, 17:02, edited 1 time in total.

08 Dec 2008, 15:52
Profile ICQ WWW
Metal Guru

fuck, what a shock :o

only had the pleasure of meeting him once. what a great guy!

R.I.P. Adrian

what a shame :(

Laughter kills fear, without fear there can be no faith, because without fear of the Devil there's no need of God

08 Dec 2008, 15:57
Metal Master

Rest In Peace Adrian :(

I will miss you my friend...

08 Dec 2008, 16:00
Profile WWW
Metal Guru

Being the first BBer that I've met, Adrian introduced me to the Toronto crowd. It was because of him that I got into Darkthrone, one of my all-time favorite bands. I remember having the worse drunken moment / hangover in my life, and he took care of me.
*sighs*

08 Dec 2008, 16:02
Metal Guru

I didn't know him, but he seemed like a good guy who everyone liked. Quite shocking and very sad.....

RIP

08 Dec 2008, 16:06
Metal Guru

What the fuck! :o

This sucks. Adrian was a great guy. I met him and talked to him on the phone a few times. The guy was nice enough to put me on the guest list anytime I wanted to go see a band that was on The End Records.

Rest in peace dude..... :(

Instagram: @therealanthony3

08 Dec 2008, 16:07
Profile WWW
Metal Guru

Here is something i want to share with you all Adrian was a guest on Detsorgsekalfs long awaited album A.B.B.A

"A good friend to the almighty Detsorgsekalf Adrian Bromley has passed away at the very young age of 37. All of us in the detsorgsekalf camp are still in shock to the news of his passing and we wish his wife to be and his family our thoughts and prayers. We have lost a metal brother a god amongst men for those who got to know Adrian you know what a wonderful person he was and how 1 converstation with him could impact your life no problem. Dets owe him huge for first giving us our first review along with guesting on the long awaited ABBA album. We would like to share with you the track which he guested on http://www.myspace.com/detsorgsekalf
I hope you remember him as we wiil for the rest of time. Adrian was nothing but support to us and one of the best people you could know we will miss him dearly

Keep on rocking my friend from us in detsorgsekalf from the frost bitten north we will always love and remember you mr.bromley

Cheers"

http://www.metalrab.com (coming soon dizzles)

08 Dec 2008, 16:09
Profile ICQ WWW
Metal Illuminati

Some more information has been added to the original post, including a piece from Eye Magazine

I'm truly at a loss for words. I will contribute words to this thread soon.

INERTIA ENTERTAINMENT

You Are All Earthless And Meek!

08 Dec 2008, 16:11
Profile WWW
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 570 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 23  Next