It is currently 19 Sep 2018, 08:58



Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 386 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16  Next
 TOP ALBUMS OF 2016 (VOTE!) 
Author Message
Metal Guru
User avatar

Joined: 19 Oct 2004, 11:40
Posts: 16857
Location: Quebec, Canada
Post Re: TOP ALBUMS OF 2016 (VOTE!)
Exorcist wrote:
phencyclidine wrote:
Monos wrote:
phencyclidine wrote:
seems i've only heard 13 2016 metal albums


Same here. Money is short for music these days..

say word. i actually bought all 13 too. most i've ever bought in years and years. :lol:


Have you guys looked into just buying digitally instead? The format doesn't have the collection factor going for it, but the price is usually right. Between 9 and 10.50 for a new album via Google Play in most cases that I've found. I can't speak for prices in your area, but digital tends to be cheaper than physical in my experience. Plus you don't have to deal with stores. You can just browse (a vastly superior selection than any brick and mortar store), buy, download, and you're off to the races.


REALLY late on that one but i can't seem to ''get into'' that digital thing (I was the first to worship mp3s when they came out so go figure) but abandoned it all. I only count the physical releases i own. Kind of a retro way of thinking but here you go..

I'll be the first to stream the shit on youtube thought.

----------

What about this metal and non-metal lists non-sens? Mine will be a mix of boths. Is this a new rule?

_________________
http://rateyourmusic.com/~Monos4
http://monos4.deviantart.com/
http://www.youtube.com/user/Monos4
https://bandcamp.com/monos4
https://grandaltarofsatanicwintergoats1.bandcamp.com/


29 Dec 2016, 12:08
Profile
Metal Guru
User avatar

Joined: 09 Mar 2002, 21:00
Posts: 74307
Location: Ogdenville
Post Re: TOP ALBUMS OF 2016 (VOTE!)
Makes sense. It took me a good long time to come around to digital, but I can't imagine ever going back now. I fucking love it :m:

_________________
Blackjebus wrote:
Yeah, once you have AIDS you don't have to worry about AIDS anymore. Instead you have to worry about colds.


29 Dec 2016, 13:18
Profile
Metal Guru
User avatar

Joined: 12 Dec 2004, 08:29
Posts: 21344
Location: nj
Post Re: TOP ALBUMS OF 2016 (VOTE!)
it is pretty amazing to decide you want something, and then have it on your phone in less than 10 minutes.

_________________
did that butter churn just move? cause if it did.....


29 Dec 2016, 13:32
Profile
Metal Guru
User avatar

Joined: 09 Mar 2002, 21:00
Posts: 74307
Location: Ogdenville
Post Re: TOP ALBUMS OF 2016 (VOTE!)
phencyclidine wrote:
it is pretty amazing to decide you want something, and then have it on your phone in less than 10 minutes.


YES! It is! :m:

I love it. I'll get to work around 7am on a Friday, buy whatever music I'm buying that week, download it to my phone and be listening by 7:15 on my headphones. I don't miss having to wait out my shift just to go buy music. The instant availability is a total godsend.

_________________
Blackjebus wrote:
Yeah, once you have AIDS you don't have to worry about AIDS anymore. Instead you have to worry about colds.


29 Dec 2016, 13:34
Profile
Metal Guru
User avatar

Joined: 24 Feb 2011, 14:26
Posts: 48163
Location: North Haverbrook
Post Re: TOP ALBUMS OF 2016 (VOTE!)
Rocky Dennis wrote:
Urfaust was a grower for me


I love the album. Just not as much right off the bat as previous ones. I think the first and previous are the best (I'm not going to attempt to type out the names from memory lol). The track after the intro on this one reminds me of Cult of Fire early on, and it's probably the best track on the album. Then it's more typically Urfaust.


29 Dec 2016, 13:48
Profile
Metal Guru
User avatar

Joined: 17 Nov 2008, 22:32
Posts: 7042
Location: Chicago, IL
Post Re: TOP ALBUMS OF 2016 (VOTE!)
Blasphomet wrote:
Rocky Dennis wrote:
Urfaust was a grower for me


I love the album. Just not as much right off the bat as previous ones. I think the first and previous are the best (I'm not going to attempt to type out the names from memory lol). The track after the intro on this one reminds me of Cult of Fire early on, and it's probably the best track on the album. Then it's more typically Urfaust.


I've been digging it too. Loke Rocky, it also took some time to catch in my brain as well.

I'm surprised by the new Katatonia as well - I had just written them off as being WAY too stuck-in-a-rut & boring, but the new one has some tasty riffage. Glad they injected a little testosterone. :abbath:

_________________
Image


29 Dec 2016, 20:42
Profile
Metal Guru
User avatar

Joined: 19 Oct 2004, 11:40
Posts: 16857
Location: Quebec, Canada
Post Re: TOP ALBUMS OF 2016 (VOTE!)
Ok list is ready on page 1

_________________
http://rateyourmusic.com/~Monos4
http://monos4.deviantart.com/
http://www.youtube.com/user/Monos4
https://bandcamp.com/monos4
https://grandaltarofsatanicwintergoats1.bandcamp.com/


30 Dec 2016, 09:58
Profile
Metal Guru
User avatar

Joined: 05 Nov 2005, 15:09
Posts: 13259
Post Re: TOP ALBUMS OF 2016 (VOTE!)
Monos wrote:
Ok list is ready on page 1


You're a good kid ;)


30 Dec 2016, 10:22
Profile
Metal Guru
User avatar

Joined: 19 Oct 2004, 11:40
Posts: 16857
Location: Quebec, Canada
Post Re: TOP ALBUMS OF 2016 (VOTE!)
Domsen wrote:
Monos wrote:
Ok list is ready on page 1


You're a good kid ;)


Merci

Funny you said that because from now on i'm trying to get sober (Not kidding).

:lol:

_________________
http://rateyourmusic.com/~Monos4
http://monos4.deviantart.com/
http://www.youtube.com/user/Monos4
https://bandcamp.com/monos4
https://grandaltarofsatanicwintergoats1.bandcamp.com/


30 Dec 2016, 10:28
Profile
Metal Guru
User avatar

Joined: 05 Nov 2005, 15:09
Posts: 13259
Post Re: TOP ALBUMS OF 2016 (VOTE!)
Monos wrote:
Domsen wrote:
Monos wrote:
Ok list is ready on page 1


You're a good kid ;)


Merci

Funny you said that because from now on i'm trying to get sober (Not kidding).

:lol:



wat? You should fight fire with fire!


30 Dec 2016, 10:36
Profile
Metal Guru
User avatar

Joined: 19 Oct 2004, 11:40
Posts: 16857
Location: Quebec, Canada
Post Re: TOP ALBUMS OF 2016 (VOTE!)
Domsen wrote:
Monos wrote:
Domsen wrote:
Monos wrote:
Ok list is ready on page 1


You're a good kid ;)


Merci

Funny you said that because from now on i'm trying to get sober (Not kidding).

:lol:



wat? You should fight fire with fire!


I can do that without any chemicals (Spent christmas at the hospital, psychiatrists (they know me) said i've done too much and it's becoming poison - so i gotta move another way). Anyway not here to spread my shit and back the to music business..

:moon:

_________________
http://rateyourmusic.com/~Monos4
http://monos4.deviantart.com/
http://www.youtube.com/user/Monos4
https://bandcamp.com/monos4
https://grandaltarofsatanicwintergoats1.bandcamp.com/


Last edited by Monos on 30 Dec 2016, 10:58, edited 1 time in total.



30 Dec 2016, 10:57
Profile
Metal Guru
User avatar

Joined: 05 Nov 2005, 15:09
Posts: 13259
Post Re: TOP ALBUMS OF 2016 (VOTE!)
I didn't wanted to offend you.


30 Dec 2016, 10:58
Profile
Metal Guru
User avatar

Joined: 19 Oct 2004, 11:40
Posts: 16857
Location: Quebec, Canada
Post Re: TOP ALBUMS OF 2016 (VOTE!)
Domsen wrote:
I didn't wanted to offend you.


Hey no problem man. Let's move on. Music is the best!

_________________
http://rateyourmusic.com/~Monos4
http://monos4.deviantart.com/
http://www.youtube.com/user/Monos4
https://bandcamp.com/monos4
https://grandaltarofsatanicwintergoats1.bandcamp.com/


30 Dec 2016, 10:59
Profile
Metal Guru
User avatar

Joined: 05 Nov 2005, 15:09
Posts: 13259
Post Re: TOP ALBUMS OF 2016 (VOTE!)
I just thought you meant getting sober from christmas time... Which is very hard for me too every year.


30 Dec 2016, 11:04
Profile
Metal Guru
User avatar

Joined: 19 Oct 2004, 11:40
Posts: 16857
Location: Quebec, Canada
Post Re: TOP ALBUMS OF 2016 (VOTE!)
Domsen wrote:
I just thought you meant getting sober from christmas time... Which is very hard for me too every year.


Nope i am an impulsive violent damaged case when in an altered state. I gotta work on that and get my shit together. My christmas gift was a visit from the cops.

:lol:

_________________
http://rateyourmusic.com/~Monos4
http://monos4.deviantart.com/
http://www.youtube.com/user/Monos4
https://bandcamp.com/monos4
https://grandaltarofsatanicwintergoats1.bandcamp.com/


30 Dec 2016, 11:11
Profile
Metal Guru
User avatar

Joined: 27 Apr 2011, 10:22
Posts: 8509
Location: Cherry Orchards
Post Re: TOP ALBUMS OF 2016 (VOTE!)
So I looked/read through all the lists. My takeaways:

A) Opeth, Megadeth, Devin Townsend, Flotsam & jetsam and Metallica all mentioned a lot

B) One person mentioned babymetal, and at #1. I suspect it either won't make the list or will be near the very bottom of the top 100. I suggest eliminating it altogether so that it doesn't stink up the BB.

C) I think anyone who has at least two of the following three should just have their list expunged: Megadeth, Metallica and Anthrax.

;) :idea:

_________________
"I count wire guided sheep. Each one an exploding bob. Inhabitat peopled by the inalienable dreamless" (J. Chang 2000)


30 Dec 2016, 12:24
Profile
Metal Guru
User avatar

Joined: 15 Feb 2006, 23:26
Posts: 18597
Location: Down and out on the Solomani Rim
Post Re: TOP ALBUMS OF 2016 (VOTE!)
Solomon Grundy wrote:
Rocky Dennis wrote:
The two albums that I was excited for in 2016 were disappointing and I didn't write this year off.


I was generalizing those that do write a year off as bad. You clearly didn't fall into that camp.

In any event, I'm looking forward the final BB list and cheking out some of the stuff that I missed. Listening to that Forteresse right now. It seems I didn't give this one a fair shake originally and prob should have bought it...


I think that it was a good year. When I counted up what I liked and spent enough time with to consider, I had about 60 albums. That is pretty good considering that I had a hectic year life wise, and did not explore as much new stuff as I usually would. There are things that I have not heard, or did not get a chance to spend enough time with that I know would have pushed for a spot on my list. It goes back to the same thing that is always true. If you are the kind of person that can't have a good music year if a few bigger bands let you down, than maybe it sucked. If you try even a little bit though, it's not hard to find other things to get excited about. Lots of metal out there folks, and you don't even have to look that hard for most of it.


30 Dec 2016, 12:33
Profile
Metal Guru
User avatar

Joined: 09 Mar 2002, 21:00
Posts: 74307
Location: Ogdenville
Post Re: TOP ALBUMS OF 2016 (VOTE!)
Anhur wrote:
Solomon Grundy wrote:
Rocky Dennis wrote:
The two albums that I was excited for in 2016 were disappointing and I didn't write this year off.


I was generalizing those that do write a year off as bad. You clearly didn't fall into that camp.

In any event, I'm looking forward the final BB list and cheking out some of the stuff that I missed. Listening to that Forteresse right now. It seems I didn't give this one a fair shake originally and prob should have bought it...


I think that it was a good year. When I counted up what I liked and spent enough time with to consider, I had about 60 albums. That is pretty good considering that I had a hectic year life wise, and did not explore as much new stuff as I usually would. There are things that I have not heard, or did not get a chance to spend enough time with that I know would have pushed for a spot on my list. It goes back to the same thing that is always true. If you are the kind of person that can't have a good music year if a few bigger bands let you down, than maybe it sucked. If you try even a little bit though, it's not hard to find other things to get excited about. Lots of metal out there folks, and you don't even have to look that hard for most of it.


Agreed. I finally caught onto grind this year, and a lot of my year end list is stuff that is very new to my ears. It wasn't even hard, really. I just had to follow one or two recommendations, then shit just snowballed :beer:

I think 2016 has been a pretty much flawless year for music. Definitely the strongest year I can think of off the top of my head in quite awhile.

_________________
Blackjebus wrote:
Yeah, once you have AIDS you don't have to worry about AIDS anymore. Instead you have to worry about colds.


30 Dec 2016, 12:35
Profile
Metal Guru
User avatar

Joined: 06 Feb 2008, 13:13
Posts: 1412
Location: the local record store
Post Re: TOP ALBUMS OF 2016 (VOTE!)
Solomon Grundy wrote:
So I looked/read through all the lists. My takeaways:

A) Opeth, Megadeth, Devin Townsend, Flotsam & jetsam and Metallica all mentioned a lot

B) One person mentioned babymetal, and at #1. I suspect it either won't make the list or will be near the very bottom of the top 100. I suggest eliminating it altogether so that it doesn't stink up the BB.

C) I think anyone who has at least two of the following three should just have their list expunged: Megadeth, Metallica and Anthrax.

;) :idea:


Ha! If the new Metallica is in your Top 15, you either didn't listen to enough new music this year, or you created a personal Hardwired mixtape and it only contains six songs. :lol:

_________________
My record collecting blog: The One Thing That Still Holds True


30 Dec 2016, 14:55
Profile WWW
Metal Guru
User avatar

Joined: 20 Feb 2002, 13:38
Posts: 40523
Location: S.O.N.W.D.
Post Re: TOP ALBUMS OF 2016 (VOTE!)
I'm getting closer to having my top 15 ready. Been listening to as much as I can these past few weeks to catch up. Really just trying to figure out rankings at this point. This year was more impressive than I realized. I have a lot of purchases to make now. :lol:

_________________
-formerly known as Demonic Scientist-
Firefarter wrote:
unlimited buckets of fried chicken does not an orgy make


30 Dec 2016, 15:01
Profile
Metal Guru
User avatar

Joined: 06 May 2014, 18:30
Posts: 3111
Location: Toronto
Post Re: TOP ALBUMS OF 2016 (VOTE!)
Not sure if there's a deadline set for this, but a few days beyond New Year's would be good. I've quite a bit still to absorb: more specifically new stuff by Crowbar, Metallica, Sonata Arctica, Darkthrone, Wormed, Dark Tranquility, In Flames, and the two little ones by LOG and Ghost.

_________________
"If you cut off my head, what would I say... Me and my head, or me and my body?"


30 Dec 2016, 21:35
Profile
Metal Guru
User avatar

Joined: 17 Apr 2004, 15:51
Posts: 63924
Post Re: TOP ALBUMS OF 2016 (VOTE!)
Solomon Grundy wrote:
So I looked/read through all the lists. My takeaways:

A) Opeth, Megadeth, Devin Townsend, Flotsam & jetsam and Metallica all mentioned a lot

B) One person mentioned babymetal, and at #1. I suspect it either won't make the list or will be near the very bottom of the top 100. I suggest eliminating it altogether so that it doesn't stink up the BB.

C) I think anyone who has at least two of the following three should just have their list expunged: Megadeth, Metallica and Anthrax.

;) :idea:


Anyone who has that piece of shit Metallica record on their list should be expunged from life.

_________________
We would reveal the only truth
We would make them really sorry
We would show them Sovereignty in true fashion
And then be a reflection of their loss


30 Dec 2016, 23:48
Profile
Metal Guru
User avatar

Joined: 28 Mar 2005, 01:51
Posts: 8642
Location: St. Catharines, Ontario, Canada, Earth, Solar System, Orion Spur, Milky Way, Virgo Supercluster
Post Re: TOP ALBUMS OF 2016 (VOTE!)
thelostpatrol wrote:
Solomon Grundy wrote:
So I looked/read through all the lists. My takeaways:

A) Opeth, Megadeth, Devin Townsend, Flotsam & jetsam and Metallica all mentioned a lot

B) One person mentioned babymetal, and at #1. I suspect it either won't make the list or will be near the very bottom of the top 100. I suggest eliminating it altogether so that it doesn't stink up the BB.

C) I think anyone who has at least two of the following three should just have their list expunged: Megadeth, Metallica and Anthrax.

;) :idea:


Anyone who has that piece of shit Metallica record on their list should be expunged from life.

I have a friend who shares very similar music interests as I do. He's critical as hell and really will listen to anything. But he's a huge Metallica fan.

When he put Metallica as his #1. I was heart-broken.

It's not a bad album, but it's not a good album either. It's just floating there in the middle. Somewhere in mediocrity. It's nice to hear from the band again, but there's nothing exciting about the album. Gah.

_________________
༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ DON'T GIVE MOD POWERS ༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ

Website My book Twitter Instagrim

Image Image
Metal_King wrote:
Sorry, I don't have a shit fetish.


31 Dec 2016, 12:17
Profile WWW
Metal Guru
User avatar

Joined: 25 Mar 2009, 02:32
Posts: 27336
Location: E 99th & St.Clair
Post Re: TOP ALBUMS OF 2016 (VOTE!)
Guess who had Babymetal #1?

_________________
HamburgerBoy wrote:
Take your rhythmless Varg-borne black "metal" and shove it up your poser vaginas alongside your Dead Can Dance records.


31 Dec 2016, 12:18
Profile
Headbanger

Joined: 19 Jul 2002, 12:44
Posts: 455
Location: West Virginia
Post Re: TOP ALBUMS OF 2016 (VOTE!)
1 - Testament- Brotherhood of the Snake

2 - Allegaeon - Proponent for Sentience

3 - Anthrax - For All Kings

4 - Revocation - Great Is Our Sin

5 - Megadeth - Dystopia

6 - Tremonti - Dust

7 - Witherscape - The Northern Sanctuary

8 - Crowbar -The Serpent Only Lies

9 - Serpentine Dominion - Serpentine Dominion

10 - Metallica Hardwired... to Self-Destruct

11 - Vader - Empire

12- Entombed A.D. - Dead Dawn

13 - Metal Church – XI

14 - Death Angel - The Evil Divide

15 - Amon Amarth - Jomsviking

_________________
YOU GO TO HELL, YOU GO TO HELL & DIE!!!!


31 Dec 2016, 16:29
Profile
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 386 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16  Next


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Jump to:  


Google
 
Web www.bravewords.com

Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group.
Designed by Vjacheslav Trushkin for Free Forums/DivisionCore.