It is currently 18 Dec 2017, 03:53

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 782 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 32  Next
 2016 Albums That Deserve Attention (READ OP BEFORE POSTING) 
Metal Guru

Post Re: 2016 Albums That Deserve Attention (READ OP BEFORE POSTING)

Vivian Campbell shreds all over this thing with a fire and passion unheard from him since the first couple Dio albums. Jimmy Bain's stamp is all over the place, I've even come around to the vocals.

Last edited by alterofcain on 19 Feb 2016, 17:36, edited 1 time in total.

19 Feb 2016, 13:34
Profile YIM
Metal Guru

alterofcain wrote:

Vivian Campbell shreds all over this thing with a fire and passion unheard from his since the first couple Dio albums. Jimmy Bain's stamp is all over the place, I've even come around to the vocals.

Will check it out!

19 Feb 2016, 16:59
Metal Guru

Chthe'ilist - LE DERNIER CREPUSCULE

Super bad death metal. I'm not a DM expert but I think I can safely say, this is some good shit!! Creepy and cool, with plenty of variety going on. Probably will make album of the year lists.

[url]http://www.metal-archives.com/albums/Chthe'ilist/Le_Dernier_Crépuscule/545933[/url]
https://profoundlorerecords.bandcamp.com/album/le-dernier-cr-puscule

19 Feb 2016, 17:03
Metal Guru

alterofcain wrote:

Vivian Campbell shreds all over this thing with a fire and passion unheard from him since the first couple Dio albums. Jimmy Bain's stamp is all over the place, I've even come around to the vocals.

I've been struggling with the vanilla vocals on this, but repeat listens of the three songs they've released have started to warm me up to it a little.

19 Feb 2016, 17:44
Profile WWW
Metal Guru

I've been dying....

January - Megadeth
February - nothing
March - Paragon, Amon Amarth, Almanac
April - nothing
May - Destruction
June - nothing

Argh, such a boring year so far. March is the only half decent bright spot.

23 Feb 2016, 13:24
Metal Guru

Deströyer 666 - Wildfire

Blackened-ish Thrashy Speed Metally stuff. You probably already know all this. it rulz.

http://destroyer666.bandcamp.com/album/wildfire

https://vimeo.com/153968664

http://www.metal-archives.com/bands/Destr%C3%B6yer_666/223

23 Feb 2016, 14:36
Metal Guru

Frozen Ocean - The Prowess of Dormition

Excellent Atmospheric Black Metal from Russia. Kinda get a Caladan Brood feel of it, without the severe Summoning type leanings. Very cool.

https://apocalypticwitchcraft.bandcamp.com/album/the-prowess-of-dormition

http://www.metal-archives.com/bands/Frozen_Ocean/3540312614

23 Feb 2016, 14:46
Metal Guru

[sorry] Segue to U-94 bitching about how there's no good new music when there is, in fact, a shitload of good new music coming out all the time.[/not sorry]

Last edited by Solomon Grundy on 23 Feb 2016, 18:13, edited 1 time in total.

23 Feb 2016, 14:56
Metal Guru

holy discog. :o

Big Metal Dude wrote:
fālsëpøsê.

Rocky Dennis wrote:
Manowar calls, you fucking answer. No excuses, no regrets. Hail and Kill.

23 Feb 2016, 16:38
Metal Guru

Solomon Grundy wrote:
[sorry] Segue to U-94 bitching about how there's no good new music when there is, in fact, a shitload of good new music coming out all the time.[\not sorry]

I don't like anything that's been posted on the last few pages. It's not heavy metal or rock and roll. It's experimental, droning, sound effecty studio projects. No hooks, no great lyrics, no fist pumping, foot stomping riffs. That is nothing I like. Then also file Destroyer 666 under groups that are just aggressive with no songwriting abilities. Not interested.

What's left? Last in Line? It's a typical Frontiers release with the most banal, replaceable singer. The only thing that made plodding Dio songs decent was Dio. In one ear, out the other - just like that Revolution Kings album...another Frontiers snoozefest with ex Dio fanfare.

23 Feb 2016, 18:08
Metal Guru

U-94 wrote:
Solomon Grundy wrote:
[sorry] Segue to U-94 bitching about how there's no good new music when there is, in fact, a shitload of good new music coming out all the time.[\not sorry]

I don't like anything that's been posted on the last few pages. It's not heavy metal or rock and roll. It's experimental, droning, sound effecty studio projects. No hooks, no great lyrics, no fist pumping, foot stomping riffs. That is nothing I like. Then also file Destroyer 666 under groups that are just aggressive with no songwriting abilities. Not interested.

What's left? Last in Line? It's a typical Frontiers release with the most banal, replaceable singer. The only thing that made plodding Dio songs decent was Dio. In one ear, out the other - just like that Revolution Kings album...another Frontiers snoozefest with ex Dio fanfare.

Than you should dig around and find the stuff that you like, or mine through the 4 decades of albums in that vein to find some gems. You aren't trying if you can't find something that you like out there, and certainly aren't willing to if you are already projecting June as a bust.

23 Feb 2016, 18:18
Metal Guru

Lycus - Chasms

Killer doom band, and I will tip the hat to Rocky D for turning me on to their first album. This was released last month, but I just found out about it. It's going to appeal to fans of funeral doom, and the track that I listened to from this album has some black metal elements in spots that I don't really recall picking up on when listening to the first album. I have not listened to the whole thing yet, I checked out the first track and it was killer. I think that I liked it more than anything on the first album. I ordered it straight away, and hope to be able to sit down and sip a few beers while giving it a full listen this weekend.

Looks like you can listen to the whole thing here if you want. Knowing the band, and how I absorb this type of music I choose only the small sample that I mentioned.
http://lycus.bandcamp.com/track/solar-chamber

23 Feb 2016, 20:53
Metal Guru

Necro Priest wrote:

Super bad death metal. I'm not a DM expert but I think I can safely say, this is some good shit!! Creepy and cool, with plenty of variety going on. Probably will make album of the year lists.

[url]http://www.metal-archives.com/albums/Chthe'ilist/Le_Dernier_Crépuscule/545933[/url]

Already mentioned it on Page 1, dude! But it deserves another mention. :m:

KAUNIS KUOLEMATON - Vapaus
MORBID ANGEL - Kingdoms Disdained
DENY THE URGE - As Darkness Falls
WINDS OF LENG - Horrid Dominion
FRACTAL GATES - Altered State Of Consciousness

23 Feb 2016, 20:56
Metal Guru

Darth Ballz wrote:
Necro Priest wrote:

Damn. Thought I searched.

23 Feb 2016, 20:58
Metal Guru

I think U94 is a classic case of PEBCAK rather than a lack of good albums coming out

"aggressive with no songwriting abilities" the false is strong

Auslander, on Burning Ham wrote:
Of course, he's a complete twerp

23 Feb 2016, 21:00
Metal Guru

Necro Priest wrote:
Darth Ballz wrote:
Necro Priest wrote:

Damn. Thought I searched.

Not enough people talking about it, so I'm OK with it.

KAUNIS KUOLEMATON - Vapaus
MORBID ANGEL - Kingdoms Disdained
DENY THE URGE - As Darkness Falls
WINDS OF LENG - Horrid Dominion
FRACTAL GATES - Altered State Of Consciousness

23 Feb 2016, 21:03
Metal Guru

Anhur wrote:
Lycus - Chasms

Killer doom band, and I will tip the hat to Rocky D for turning me on to their first album. This was released last month, but I just found out about it. It's going to appeal to fans of funeral doom, and the track that I listened to from this album has some black metal elements in spots that I don't really recall picking up on when listening to the first album. I have not listened to the whole thing yet, I checked out the first track and it was killer. I think that I liked it more than anything on the first album. I ordered it straight away, and hope to be able to sit down and sip a few beers while giving it a full listen this weekend.

Looks like you can listen to the whole thing here if you want. Knowing the band, and how I absorb this type of music I choose only the small sample that I mentioned.
http://lycus.bandcamp.com/track/solar-chamber

what's with all the doom bands using death metal album covers?

24 Feb 2016, 10:18
Metal Guru

Burst Command Til War wrote:
I think U94 is a classic case of PEBCAK rather than a lack of good albums coming out

I'm listening to D666 right now. I listened to their 'classic' albums more than a decade ago. There's nothing that special about it. I have a long list of bands I enjoy and simply not many have scheduled releases for Q1 2016.

24 Feb 2016, 11:34
Metal Guru

U-94 wrote:

I'm listening to D666 right now. I listened to their 'classic' albums more than a decade ago. There's nothing that special about it. I have a long list of bands I enjoy and simply not many have scheduled releases for Q1 2016.

Even Burning Blade said this, so I'm not seeing the problem with you making this statement. In fact, what you said about the albums in this thread so far, I mostly agree with. Jan/Feb is traditionally slow though, so this is not a big deal. Certainly not anything for people to get on your case about.

25 Feb 2016, 00:29
Metal Guru

thelostpatrol wrote:
U-94 wrote:

Even Burning Blade said this, so I'm not seeing the problem with you making this statement.

Uhhh... I did?

Website

25 Feb 2016, 01:02
Metal Guru

To reiterate my thoughts on the new D666 album, there are some really awesome songs on it, songs that I'd love to see in any set filled with classic D666 material, and those songs are:

"Traitor"
"Live And Burn" (initially did not love but grew on me quite a bit)
"Artiglio del Diavolo" (sweet instrumental)
"Hymn To Dionysus"
"Wildfire"

And of those five two of them have complex melodies and structuring, especially "Hymn To Dionysus" (the other being the sweet little instrumental "Artiglio...") which definitely isn't a strike against songwriting capabilities if the quoted portion is what you are referring to. Even then when they keep it simple it fucking rules, and the other three thrashier songs are on par with a lot of their other stuff. It was a step in the right direction, but they need to bring back the bestial edge that they're known for to get it truly back again.

"Hounds At Ya Back" is the only song I truly dislike.

The others are forgettable.

I wish it was an EP, as the songs I love fucking rule.

For the record I also don't dislike Defiance either, I just find it's such a step down since I hold their first three in such high regard.

Regardless, TLP, don't put fucking words in my mouth! I would also have never used quotation marks to sarcastically refer to their first three albums as "classic," or insisted that listening to them a decade ago makes me more informed on it and the latest one. To me they are undeniably classic, being both timeless and influential regardless of the year they were released in.

Website

25 Feb 2016, 01:14
Metal Guru

More obscure-sounding traditional metal, if you dug the new Acerus you should check this out. More straight forward and with cleaner/higher vocals. It draws influence from classic NWOBHM and hard rock like Rainbow, Deep Purple, and Blue Oyster Cult (whom they cover). It is only an EP, but thus far it happens to have my favorite song of the year:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6I7IhaYVTYw

From Detroit, and featuring members of Demon Bitch and Isenblast.

Website

25 Feb 2016, 01:24
Metal Guru

Burning Blade wrote:
thelostpatrol wrote:
U-94 wrote:

Even Burning Blade said this, so I'm not seeing the problem with you making this statement.

Uhhh... I did?

You said it had a handful of great tracks, a handful of forgettable ones and one shit one, if I recall. Not in those words, but close. In essence, your statement showed a lukewarm reception at best, and that's not too different from U-94's "nothing that special" statement.

25 Feb 2016, 01:30
Metal Guru

thelostpatrol wrote:
Burning Blade wrote:
thelostpatrol wrote:
U-94 wrote:

Uhhh... I did?

You said it had a handful of great tracks, a handful of forgettable ones and one shit one, if I recall. Not in those words, but close. In essence, your statement showed a lukewarm reception at best, and that's not too different from U-94's "nothing that special" statement.

A lukewarm response does not infer I think their songwriting sucks, or that those great songs do not hold a special place for me either at this time or in comparison to their other works. There are pros and cons of that D666 album, and I think their best efforts to a post-Cold Steel release have yet to come and that this is a step towards it.

Website

25 Feb 2016, 01:33
Metal Guru

thelostpatrol wrote:
U-94 wrote:

Even Burning Blade said this, so I'm not seeing the problem with you making this statement. In fact, what you said about the albums in this thread so far, I mostly agree with. Jan/Feb is traditionally slow though, so this is not a big deal. Certainly not anything for people to get on your case about.

I don't care if he likes D666, it probably wouldn't sound good to somebody that is looking for what he says he is. I also agree that these are the slow months, so not much to sink your teeth into yet. This guy was saying that there is nothing good comming out through June, and that's just lazy. Dig around and find something new, or even find some killer old stuff that you have not heard. Don't fucking bitch 4 months in advance, and than list a bunch of stuff that a blind howler monkey could find as the only worthwhile albums. The guy seems to want everything handed to him, which is annoying in an era where it is so easy to find exactly what you want by devoting a single evening of research to it.

25 Feb 2016, 07:38
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 782 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 32  Next