It is currently 22 Jun 2018, 07:56

About amplification. 
Metal Guru

Post About amplification.
So I'm looking at amps to go with my new Les Paul Tribute that I just brought home and I'm really dumbfounded by these newfangled options. When I was a lad in ye olde nineties, we used to buy 120 watt combo guitar amps and 200 watt bass amps for our garage bands. Now I'm seeing 15 watt heads on 4x12 cabs. What is going on? Can someone explain this all to me? What kind of power is really needed for, say, a garage band or a small club gig where there is no PA? Or what about one where there is a PA?

And then be a reflection of their loss

07 May 2018, 22:12
Metal Guru

Post Re: About amplification.
I'd avoid a combo amp just because it frees up your gear options going forward. I'm not sure what's actually necessary power-wise in terms of jamming with other people with/without a PA, but remember: you can always dial the volume back if it's a little loud. If you max out, there's nowhere else to go aside from buying more gear.

I'm running a 120 watt head through a 2x12 cab. That motherfucker is loud, dude. I barely even have the master volume on 2 when I'm playing around at home. I've crept the volume dial up a little higher just for the fuck of it and it's hilariously powerful. I should have no issues playing with a band either with or without a PA, it can go down quietly enough for home playing, and it sounds like a sonic orgasm.

The way I would go about things in your position is to find the sound I like, and then go for as much power as possible.

11 May 2018, 14:34
Metal Guru

I bought a 10 watt Vox amp for now. Lol

22 May 2018, 21:29
Metal Guru

thelostpatrol wrote:

Nothing wrong with a Vox :cheers:

25 May 2018, 00:30
Profile YIM
Metal Guru

thelostpatrol wrote:

I started off with a shitty MG30DFX from Marshall. You do what you've gotta to get shit rolling, right?

26 May 2018, 18:43
Metal Guru

Exorcist wrote:
thelostpatrol wrote:

I started off with a shitty MG30DFX from Marshall. You do what you've gotta to get shit rolling, right?

I had some kind of generic amp that I could barely get any distortion out of and graduated to a 20 watt Marshall about a year later. At one point I chained them together to make the most laughable "stack" in existence. The first one had some decent reverb and the Marshall had passable distortion.

No money + desperation = ingenuity. 8)

I don't think I had a proper amp until I was 20-21. Best amp I ever owned was a Fender Princeton Chorus- beautiful cleans and decent overdrive which I supplemented with a Boss MetalZone.

28 May 2018, 16:55
Profile YIM
Metal Guru

My little Vox is pretty great for the size. It gets quite loud in my apartment too. The built-in overdrive is more than adequate for my present needs. I'm glad I invested most of the money in the Les Paul over the amp. Really, no complaints so far, especially for a $99 amplifier.

29 May 2018, 14:09
Metal Guru

I’m just gonna be satisfied with a little Peavy Vyper modelling amp for now until I can afford a local Revv. I’m perplexed too by amp choices. The only time I’m dissatisfied with what I have is when I jam and put it up against three other instruments. In the house or garage I can get most any tone I want, and at reasonable volume without pedals. I tend to play in cleaner tones. But overdrive distorted tones are easily dialed up and there’s a 12 banks to preset which is plenty enough for what I do.

There’s so many amps I’m curious about i don’t even know where to start when I finally add a tube amp to the equation.

13 Jun 2018, 18:27