It is currently 20 Apr 2018, 01:26

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 187 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
 Random Musician Shtuff 
Metal Guru

Post Re: Random Musician Shtuff
I use the bar fairly liberally, no go.

17 Dec 2017, 01:18
Metal Guru

When you start climbing into shred territory, some things become scary. Like, actually scary. You don't want to go back to how you played before, and you know there's, in all actuality, a small amount of stuff you can play compared to all the stuff that's been done out there, and done really fucking well at that. So there's this constant inner game of dare going on, where I try to do shit I know good and damned well I ought to leave to guys who have spent their whole lives doing that specific thing. But it's hard not to. After a while it starts to feel like standing on the edge of a cliff. Like... real adrenaline, from playing guitar. Fucking weird, man.

19 Dec 2017, 14:43
Metal Guru

Xerxes wrote:
Hey guys I'm looking for a good locking bridge that'll keep in tune through a lot of whammy abuse. I'm looking for one of those ones where you cut off the string ball and clamp the string in place. Any tips?

Gotoh Floyds and the Ibanez Edge/Lo-pro Edge are probably the best locking bridges on the market right now.

19 Dec 2017, 21:36
Metal Guru

Thanks, duder.

20 Dec 2017, 19:37
Metal Guru

can't walk past the new drums without playing them. still trying to find a configuration that's comfortable though, and definitely need another cymbal.

26 Dec 2017, 16:10
Metal Guru

phencyclidine wrote:
can't walk past the new drums without playing them. still trying to find a configuration that's comfortable though, and definitely need another cymbal.

Sounds like it's coming together nicely :m:

I'm wondering if a noise suppressor pedal might help me keep that amp hum to a bare minimum, but I'm curious if it will fuck with my sustain at all. Looks like it's off to Kijiji to see if I can score a cheap one. I don't feel like buying a nearly $200 pedal without knowing damn sure it's exactly what I want, so used it is :m:

28 Dec 2017, 13:08
Metal Guru

Exorcist wrote:
phencyclidine wrote:

I'm wondering if a noise suppressor pedal might help me keep that amp hum to a bare minimum, but I'm curious if it will fuck with my sustain at all. Looks like it's off to Kijiji to see if I can score a cheap one. I don't feel like buying a nearly $200 pedal without knowing damn sure it's exactly what I want, so used it is :m:

Dude, get the TC Electronic Sentry. It's not going to kill your signal and it'll clean up the noise extremely well. I've had the Boss and one of the MXR noise gates and this one is miles above both. You're likely to find the Boss one used pretty easily but it sucked tone for me in my rig. I took it off the board and the blanket came off with it. Just get the Sentry and be done with it.

28 Dec 2017, 17:05
Metal Guru

Release wrote:
Exorcist wrote:
phencyclidine wrote:

Dude, get the TC Electronic Sentry. It's not going to kill your signal and it'll clean up the noise extremely well. I've had the Boss and one of the MXR noise gates and this one is miles above both. You're likely to find the Boss one used pretty easily but it sucked tone for me in my rig. I took it off the board and the blanket came off with it. Just get the Sentry and be done with it.

Thanks for the tip! :m:

I did have some fun last night fucking around with feedback. Right now my amp and cab are about six feet away from where I play on the couch. My LTD doesn't feed back too much from there, but my Kramer is super sensitive to it. So naturally I started rolling the volume knob back and forth and jacking around with the whammy bar to see what I could make it do :roll:

30 Dec 2017, 12:19
Metal Guru

The Animals As Leaders guy has a new line of guitars coming out, and I really like what I'm seeing.

https://www.guitarworld.com/gear/tosin- ... nded-range

Is there any such thing as a locking nut tremolo for 8 string guitars?

04 Jan 2018, 09:42
Metal Guru

I've been pushing myself super, super hard working on the solo from No More Tears. It's so far above my current talent level that it's not even funny, but bit by bit I'm getting a little further every day. The other night I hit a temporary wall and needed to just work on something easy, so I started South of Heaven by Slayer. I always knew that intro lick was pretty eerie, but damn does it ever come across when I'm playing it rather than listening to it :bow:

10 Jan 2018, 13:27
Metal Guru

I had my first guitar lesson back after being off for two weeks because of holidays and such. Felt good, man :m:

12 Jan 2018, 09:30
Metal Guru

I wanted to try what I can play of the No More Tears solo with some chorus on top of it, so I wound up plugging into my Marshall practice amp last night and giving it a run. What I learned:

1) Holy fuck, my Orange head/cab sounds infinitely better than the Marshall combo amp. The money that went into that quarter stack was worth every red cent.

2) Chorus really takes a lot of bite out of the gain, at least it does on that combo amp. I couldn't believe how little string muting I had to do since the chorus effect all but wiped out any feedback/distortion.

...I also may have spent a little time at my desk reading about the history of the HM2 :hide:

15 Jan 2018, 12:12
Metal Guru

Did you try running your chorus pedal through the Orange's loop? That way it comes after your gain/distortion (which would ideally come from the preamp section of the amp, but could also come from a pedal or a mix of both) and affects the signal differently.

Generally on a clean channel your can run your modulation pedals, delays and reverbs and such before the preamp (in front of the amp), but when it comes to higher gain signal some pedals don't work as well before the distortion stage because the distortion stage distorts everything, including trails and echoes and whatnot. This can sometimes be desirable, but often just sounds like shit. Experiment around, it's one of the nicest features of your amp once you get familiar with the multiple ways you can use it. (the loop that is)

Let your demons run...

17 Jan 2018, 16:29
Metal Guru

Oh yeah:

Amp send >>> Pedal input. Pedal output >>> amp return.

Let your demons run...

17 Jan 2018, 16:35
Metal Guru

Malevolent_Croatian wrote:
Did you try running your chorus pedal through the Orange's loop? That way it comes after your gain/distortion (which would ideally come from the preamp section of the amp, but could also come from a pedal or a mix of both) and affects the signal differently.

Generally on a clean channel your can run your modulation pedals, delays and reverbs and such before the preamp (in front of the amp), but when it comes to higher gain signal some pedals don't work as well before the distortion stage because the distortion stage distorts everything, including trails and echoes and whatnot. This can sometimes be desirable, but often just sounds like shit. Experiment around, it's one of the nicest features of your amp once you get familiar with the multiple ways you can use it. (the loop that is)

This was on the Marshall MG30 combo amp I bought when I got my first guIitar. I don't have a proper chorus pedal as of yet.

I like the idea of having a chorus pedal, but a Tube Screamer is next on the list.

17 Jan 2018, 18:39
Metal Guru

Good choice, ts is essential. If you want a killer but ridiculously cheap choice, check out the Joyo Vintage Overdrive. Had mine for over a year now and it's working a-ok with daily use. It's supposedly a TS-808 clone. Metal chassis too.

Let your demons run...

18 Jan 2018, 00:38
Metal Guru

So thanks to krall I now have an HM2 in my possession. It's sitting a few inches to my left. However because I didn't figure it'd be here so fast, I do not have a 9volt battery :lol:

So tonight I'm giving the Epiphone a workout and learning some Down stuff. I'm working on Stone the Crow right now :smokin:

19 Jan 2018, 20:35
Metal Guru

Orange just announced a bunch of fucking cool shit at Namm.

The Brent Hinds Terror amp is something that I absolutely need to hear, and the vertical 2x12 cab? Holy fuck is it ever sweet looking!

24 Jan 2018, 14:40
Metal Guru

Every time I listen to Type O Negative or any kind of industrial music I'm reminded that I should never have stopped taking piano lessons as a kid. I should learn that shit proper.

01 Feb 2018, 12:45
Metal Guru

Bought myself a glass guitar slide last night. No clue how to play with it yet, but this is why we learn :m:

02 Feb 2018, 11:49
Metal Guru

And did you manage to become the slide guitar king? :)

17 Feb 2018, 05:59
Metal Guru

I gotta get some moon gels.

17 Feb 2018, 12:00
Metal Guru

Domsen wrote:
And did you manage to become the slide guitar king? :)

Not even close, but I'm getting the hang of it :m:

18 Feb 2018, 20:33
Metal Guru

after like 8 years of not playing, i finally have my drums setup again :beer: but god do i suck now :lol: :stupid:

now i want to try and figure out how to convert my dw 5000 pedals to longboards since buying some of those axis ones are like a grand :8D: wanted to think about selling some stuff to try and get some cash but its so much easier to go down the rabbit hole of all the stuff i could buy instead

plus just gave away what was left of my first kit to my buddy's kid for free, though they bought me a 6 pack to say thanks

Malevolent_Croatian wrote:
half the time it feels like he's setting the mood to sell me a persian rug.

06 Apr 2018, 09:06
Metal Guru

what pedals?

i recently discovered the awesomeness of loose tom heads and moon gel.

06 Apr 2018, 09:08
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 187 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next