It is currently 24 Sep 2017, 12:32

Random Musician Shtuff 
Metal Guru

Post Random Musician Shtuff
This the Musicians Forum analog of the post whorage thread or the random metal thoughts thread. I figure I can't be the only one who has weird little epiphanies while practicing, so here you go. This thread will likely be pages and pages of just me. Provided I even remember I created it.

02 Dec 2016, 13:57
Metal Guru

Post Re: Random Musician Shtuff
I'm looking to mod out a Pacifica 112XJ I just got for dirt cheap. The thing sounds really good already with nice playability. I wanna put all black hardware on it tho and maybe change out the bridge hum pup.

I've been looking at all kinds of bridges and tuners and pups but have no idea. Any thoughts are welcome.

05 Dec 2016, 19:40
Metal Guru

In the slow, slow process of righting my technique, I find myself doing some of the stuff I see concert pianists do, stuff I considered goofy or showy before doing it myself.

For example, the dramatic pause concert pianists take before starting. Yeah, I find that if I don't seriously psyche up immediately before the first few notes, I'll play badly for a few seconds while I "ramp up" to my full capabilities. Now if the song begins slowly, that may not be an issue. But you don't always have that luxury.

The other thing I'm noticing I do now is raising my hands way up off the keyboard in very specific circumstances. I find I do it to avoid missing notes during big leaps - if I'm playing an arpeggio over several octaves, it's one of the things I'll resort to to keep the pattern evenly spaced. Depending on the circumstances, you want to spend as little time as possible moving laterally and as much as possible aligning your claws over the correct key(s). Hence, jerk your hands way up. It's definitely something I resort to though.

10 Dec 2016, 10:42
Metal Guru

I'll have to figure out what you're talking about when I finally dedicate some time to one of the two pianos we have in the house. :)

14 Dec 2016, 14:54
Metal Guru

I can't fucking wait to get my ESP back today. If I could fuck off from work several hours early to go home and practice, I would :lol:

25 Jan 2017, 09:22
Metal Guru

I'm so fucking thrilled by your love of guitar playing. I stopped after nerve damage in my ring finger, which was my strongest trill finger. I was actually semi-semi-well known for my ultra quick trills. I'm a lefty who plays right handed, so my fret hand was unusually strong.

But I did promise my brother I'd re-learn to play before he got out of prison tho so...

01 Feb 2017, 17:04
Metal Guru

I'm definitely loving it, no doubt about it. My guitar teacher (jeez, what am I, Ontario Fields?) showed me a couple of chromatic scales and he wants me to find a couple music beds in C or G to see if I can crack out some sort of half-assed soloing overtop of them. It feels good to do something that I feel is actually legit important. It takes a lot of the dull off of doing the whole "day job just for the money" thing by having a real purpose to work towards.

16 Feb 2017, 10:26
Metal Guru

It sounds like you have a teacher that is more into making sure you're learning stuff you WANT to learn instead of just focusing on the boring basic stuff. That is awesome.

When I was just starting out I did a couple stints of lessons at a local music store and it was fucking painful. Both times I quit because it was ALL about learning to read music and playing shit like Twinkle Twinkle Little Star when all I wanted to do was just rip power chords and play Metallica. Lost interest within weeks both times.

On my 3rd go around, a different dude who was teaching me at the store noticed how little interest I had in that crap and offered to teach me the bitchin' stuff I actually cared about at his home. I'd bring him tapes of shit I wanted to learn, he'd figure it out and teach me how to play it and also how to learn stuff by ear. He'd also mix in some fundamental stuff like scales and whatnot. That's when guitar finally clicked for me and I stuck with it from then on. Continued those lessons for about a year to get myself to the point of being able to play in bands, then I was good.

17 Feb 2017, 06:50
Metal Guru

Yeah dude, the amount of warmup exercises and shit that he focusses on his beyond tiny. It's all in getting me through various licks and techniques intermixed with bits and pieces of songs. There's always something to work towards, not just making sure that I can get my bends to stay on point so I can hit that semitone/tone jump perfectly (spoiler: I totally can't yet :lol:)

17 Feb 2017, 08:28
Metal Guru

Location: St. Catharines, Ontario, Canada, Earth, Solar System, Orion Spur, Milky Way, Virgo Supercluster
Kid Rock's Penis wrote:
It sounds like you have a teacher that is more into making sure you're learning stuff you WANT to learn instead of just focusing on the boring basic stuff. That is awesome.

When I was just starting out I did a couple stints of lessons at a local music store and it was fucking painful. Both times I quit because it was ALL about learning to read music and playing shit like Twinkle Twinkle Little Star when all I wanted to do was just rip power chords and play Metallica. Lost interest within weeks both times.

On my 3rd go around, a different dude who was teaching me at the store noticed how little interest I had in that crap and offered to teach me the bitchin' stuff I actually cared about at his home. I'd bring him tapes of shit I wanted to learn, he'd figure it out and teach me how to play it and also how to learn stuff by ear. He'd also mix in some fundamental stuff like scales and whatnot. That's when guitar finally clicked for me and I stuck with it from then on. Continued those lessons for about a year to get myself to the point of being able to play in bands, then I was good.

Pretty much this. When I first took bass lessons, my teacher pretty much asked me, "Do you want to learn to read music or play music?" Obviously I wanted to play, so we learned the modes, improvisation, and just a lot of jazz techniques that made me really enjoy the instrument.

Website My book Twitter Instagrim

Image Image
Metal_King wrote:
Sorry, I don't have a shit fetish.

24 Feb 2017, 07:57
Profile WWW
Metal Guru

I have determined that I need to obtain a Boss MT2 Metalzone pedal.

10 Mar 2017, 12:00
Metal Guru

Exorcist wrote:

No! NO NO NO! Bad exorcist!

Trust me.

Let your demons run...

14 Mar 2017, 15:48
Metal Guru

Malevolent_Croatian wrote:
Exorcist wrote:

No! NO NO NO! Bad exorcist!

Trust me.

Wow, really?

Everything I've read about getting the buzzsaw guitar tone points squarely in that direction :o

If you've got some other suggestions, I'm all ears. I'm going into pedals 100% blind and ignorant.

15 Mar 2017, 13:32
Metal Guru

If you mean the swedish death metal buzzsaw sound like Entombed, Dismember or ATG that's the Boss Heavy Metal HM-2 with all dials turned up completely. The Japanese version of that pedal is considered a classic. The Taiwanese version I believe can be modded to be about as good.

Metal Zones are widely considered a best-avoided newbie pedal, there's much better out there. That said they are moddable as hell, and can be alright, but even then they're still not that great IMO. I think I read Kerry King used them as an OD hitting his older marshall head. The probem with them is that they're essentially tough to dial in right and they're full of pitfalls that might appeal to new players but which will in the end work against them when it comes time to playing with others or recording. A very noticeable problem when recording them especially is dialing enough gain that it has balls/girth, and then palm muting... the palm muted notes jump out way too much above the open notes overloading the signal. This can be mitigated by turning down the gain and putting an od/ts pedal ahead of it, but even then, it's STILL a one-trick pony haha. (so is the HM2, but it's trick is better)

Having said all this, they can be had for like 30-40 bucks used often enough because everybody has a time where they think they're the answer until they realize it kinda sucks, so experiment around and see for yourself.

For just straight up gain and distortion, a Tubescreamer or Overdrive (which is really the same thing +- some gain) pedal dialed right hitting a high gain preamp which is also dialed right (ie. not too heavy on the gain) is 99.9% of the time the right way to go.... Distortion boxes going into a clean channel, even 200-400 dollar ones generally don't tend to match that, though some do bring their own distinct sounds that can be hella useful. Kinda like that specific sound you're talking about....The HM-2 sound.

Let your demons run...

Last edited by Malevolent_Croatian on 16 Mar 2017, 02:43, edited 1 time in total.

16 Mar 2017, 01:33
Metal Guru

The best bang for the buck pedals IMO at the moment, especially for beginners, are Joyo pedals. They clone 140-250 dollar pedals and sell them for like 40 bucks a pop. Killer pedals (I have three), metal chassis, true bypass on most of em. Good way to experiment around and figure out what you like, but also just good all around.

Another way to get into and figure out gear and what you'll dig or not, are software suites like Amplitube, Revalver, Guitar Rig, etc. .....It's gotten to a point where it's hard to tell the components within those apart from the real deal gear unless you've got years of experience. Once you get into VST's (DAW Plug-ins), there's also a lot of pretty decent free stuff out there.

Same idea as software : modeling effects boards or racks like POD, Digitech's GSP1101 or RP series stuff, Eleven Rack, Zoom G series. They all emulate real gear, and although they don't nail the sound exactly right (arguably with the exception of the highest end stuff like Kemper and Axe Fx), they will help you get to know how different pedals, amps, cabs, etc. affect tone.

Let your demons run...

16 Mar 2017, 01:47
Metal Guru

Too cool, thanks! :m:

One thing I've always wondered about is how to really give a proper test drive to a pedal. I can know how any pedal will sound through an amp in the store and a guitar off of their wall, but that will likely sound entirely different than how it'll sound through my MG30DFX and any of my guitars (likely my Kramer or Epiphone, as the ESP LTD seems to have no balls whatsoever but sounds great for clean tones).

I'm forseeing the same issue as testing out a new TV before you buy it: it'll be under optimum conditions in the store in terms of lighting, distance from the furniture where you'll be watching from, etc. But once you get it home and the conditions change, that set may not be quite so optimum anymore.

16 Mar 2017, 07:18
Metal Guru

That's definitely a thing. You can even test it on the very same amp, but because of the acoustics of a bigger room it'll sound different. Some stores have an amp/demo room for that reason among others, but it's still not quite the same. A lot of stores will accept a return if you tell them it didn't sound like you expected it to or like it did in the store, but it's always worth asking about that beforehand.

Let your demons run...

16 Mar 2017, 14:15
Metal Guru

Btw watch this for some HM-2 inspiration, couldn't come from a better source.... Pay attention to what he says when the metal zone is mentioned ;) hahah

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ycByJIaWERk

Let your demons run...

16 Mar 2017, 14:20
Metal Guru

Malevolent_Croatian wrote:
That's definitely a thing. You can even test it on the very same amp, but because of the acoustics of a bigger room it'll sound different. Some stores have an amp/demo room for that reason among others, but it's still not quite the same. A lot of stores will accept a return if you tell them it didn't sound like you expected it to or like it did in the store, but it's always worth asking about that beforehand.

Worst comes to worst I can always just bring my stuff with me to test out pedals. It's not like it's a cabinet/head combo :lol:

I need to fiddle with my distorted channel settings regardless. I can get something fine enough, but not without a fair bit of volume pumping it out. Since volume is an issue, I'd like to find a workaround not involving headphones.

16 Mar 2017, 18:44
Metal Guru

I got approached to join a hair metal cover band by the bassist of Mindvent, which was until earlier this year the biggest band in coastal Virginia. Talk about a fucking ego boost. You know how every city has that one band that opens for every big band? That was Mindvent. Until they split up

16 Mar 2017, 22:51
Metal Guru

Xerxes wrote:
I got approached to join a hair metal cover band by the bassist of Mindvent, which was until earlier this year the biggest band in coastal Virginia. Talk about a fucking ego boost. You know how every city has that one band that opens for every big band? That was Mindvent. Until they split up

:m:

Gonna do it?

17 Mar 2017, 07:09
Metal Guru

I'm feeling good about my progression over the last week and change.

Save for yesterday where I only played for 30 minutes, I've put in a bare minimum of 60 minutes a day - usually more than that. I've got the five diatonic scales my teacher gave me pretty close to locked down backward and forward. Moreso than the progression, I'm pleased that on the days where I felt like doing absolutely nothing that I was able to kick myself in the ass and get to work regardless.

17 Mar 2017, 07:12
Metal Guru

I'm thinking about buying a new e-guitar. The ESP Alex Sknolnick one or some ESP that looks like a telecaster but has 2 EMG Humbucker.

I'd love to get the James Root stuff. All of it :lol: His Fender Jazzmaster with the 2 humbucker looks awesome. The black orange amp looks fantastic. I love orange amps by the way. They're awesome. And the top of the amp is also great. Those small 50 watt heads which aren't very expensive are easily perfect for hard rock stuff. If you want luxury you'll buy luxury, but those are just fantastic for their price.
But then I HATE Slipknot. And if I buy his stuff I'll get asked for always why I have all his equipment when I hate that band. :lol:

18 Mar 2017, 18:50
Metal Guru

Domsen wrote:
I'm thinking about buying a new e-guitar. The ESP Alex Sknolnick one or some ESP that looks like a telecaster but has 2 EMG Humbucker.

I'd love to get the James Root stuff. All of it :lol: His Fender Jazzmaster with the 2 humbucker looks awesome. The black orange amp looks fantastic. I love orange amps by the way. They're awesome. And the top of the amp is also great. Those small 50 watt heads which aren't very expensive are easily perfect for hard rock stuff. If you want luxury you'll buy luxury, but those are just fantastic for their price.
But then I HATE Slipknot. And if I buy his stuff I'll get asked for always why I have all his equipment when I hate that band. :lol:

Great gear is great gear. It's not like you have to wear a jumpsuit whenever you use it :)

18 Mar 2017, 19:47
Metal Guru

I love that Planet Caravan is two measures plus the solo. The solo is way out of my reach at the moment, but the rest of it is fun to play while I watch the hockey game. It's also a fantastic reason for me to fuck around with the tones on my amp/guitars since that song is so spaced out. I wouldn't have stopped playing if my dog wasn't giving me that "put down the fucking guitar and pay attention to me" look.

18 Mar 2017, 19:49