It is currently 21 Aug 2014, 21:13

Tips on buying Guitar 
Headbanger

Post Tips on buying Guitar
My old electric Godin - which I had for 10 years - broke down on my and I'm looking to buy a new guitar. I play primarily metal and hard rock. I'm wondering what is a good intermediate guitar that you would suggest?

I'm looking to spend around $500 and I'm looking for something durable that will last awhile. I'm not a big fan of guitars with locking systems.

05 Jun 2014, 21:18
Metal Guru

Post Re: Tips on buying Guitar
folks with about a billion light years more knowledge than me who post here. But my two cents is go to a local guitar store and just play guitars that are in your price range, until you find one that feels right.

09 Jun 2014, 12:42
Metal Guru

Fraeg wrote:
go to a local guitar store and just play guitars that are in your price range, until you find one that feels right.

Agreed. In that price range, I'd go for a Schecter. That is all I have to say.

09 Jun 2014, 14:57
Profile WWW
Metal Guru

edit - meant to pm lol.

Let your demons run...

10 Jun 2014, 13:58
Profile WWW
Metal Guru

symphony21 wrote:
Fraeg wrote:
go to a local guitar store and just play guitars that are in your price range, until you find one that feels right.

Agreed. In that price range, I'd go for a Schecter. That is all I have to say.

Schecter makes good quality guitars for the money, for sure. But s21's really got the best advice there is- play a bunch and see which one you like.

Brütal Wülfsex: "SWORD WIELDING ALPHA METAL" - Rocky Dennis
Sylvus
Misthelm

13 Jun 2014, 00:07
Profile WWW
Metal Guru

Fraeg wrote:
folks with about a billion light years more knowledge than me who post here. But my two cents is go to a local guitar store and just play guitars that are in your price range, until you find one that feels right.

This is prime advice, and the best thing you can do. If you are looking for specific recommendations though...

If you liked the feel of your Godin, I'd stay with that brand. They're a huge amount of guitar for the price and you'd be hard pressed to find that level of quality from any other brand at those price points. Check out the Freeway Classic. Probably can snag one new for about 5-600 bucks, and used for anywhere between $250 and $400. Fantastic guitars.

If you're willing to go used (I'm just assuming you're into strat-shaped guitars), dig around for a Jackson SLSMG or DK2MT - you should be able to find one of either for between 4 and 500 dollars used on Kijiji, and they're fantastic instruments.

The 2014 Schecters are a big step up in terms of build quality and hardware from what they were putting out before, and they're also catering to the more current metal/shred community with thinner neck profiles and flatter fingerboards.

Ultimately though, like has been stated, play a bunch of guitars at a shop and see what you like. Don't read too much into brand name or place of manufacture - if it plays well and sounds good to you, that's all that matters. If you find something there though, I'd be inclined to check out craigslist/kijiji to see if you can find one used before dropping coin at a shop.

13 Jun 2014, 12:00
Headbanger

Hey guys,

Thanks a lot for all of your comments. I tried the Schecters and wasn't much of a fan. I ended up going with a Gibson SGJ, which was on sale, as I found that was the best one.

21 Jun 2014, 11:52
Metal Guru

I tried one of those while I was in Calgary a few weeks ago. Really wanted to like it (love the looks of those models) but I just couldn't get along with the neck, as it felt really sticky to me. It was actually embarrassing how badly I played on it. :lol:

Seemed like a pretty good axe though, and the build quality was solid. :m:

Let your demons run...

23 Jun 2014, 13:36
Profile WWW
Metal Guru

Fraeg wrote:

Yep I own 6 guitars all different price ranges, but you have to play them and go with what feels right for you! :shred:

24 Jun 2014, 14:38
Profile WWW
Metal Guru

A cheap SG is a great starter guitar, good choice. :thumb:

Brütal Wülfsex: "SWORD WIELDING ALPHA METAL" - Rocky Dennis
Sylvus
Misthelm

30 Jun 2014, 19:59
Profile WWW
Metal Guru

I got an awesome used Gibson Melody Maker SG for $260 at Long And McQuade. It's only got one pickup and only a volume knob, but it's a great guitar. You can get slightly more sophisticated Melody Makers with two pickups and a tone knob (I think) for the $400-$700 mark, I recommend them! It's not going to be as glorious as a standard Gibson SG, but it's a real american made guitar with a decent neck.

http://www.korrupt.ca/
IRN (doom/sludge metal)
http://irndoom.com
GESTORBEN (one man black metal)
http://gestorben.bandcamp.com

04 Jul 2014, 23:04
Profile WWW