It is currently 01 Sep 2014, 22:14

How to ship an expensive guitar with no case? 
Metal Guru

Post How to ship an expensive guitar with no case?
long story short, as I mentioned in another thread my brother is gifting me a Guilford guitar. Having tough time getting accurate info but it sounds like "new" it would have been in the 2-3K+ range.

It has no case, it is an exotic shape and no standard hardshell case would work, it would need to have a custom built case.

So how to get it from NC (my brother) to Nor Cal (me).

Southwest airlines is not willing to let him bring it on as a carry on when he flies out tomorrow. My take was to get a huge cardboard box, wrap the whole guitar in bubble wrap several times so that there is basically 3-6 inches of bubble wrap covering the whole thing. Fill the huge box halfway with styrophome packing stuff, put the guitar in, fill to the top with more peanuts.

Tape it like mad, put fragile stickers on it, and ship it fedex ground.

Thoughts?

and yes I realize the best answer is probably: cough up the money to get that thing the case that it deserves.

31 Jul 2014, 21:10
Metal Guru

Post Re: How to ship an expensive guitar with no case?
Packing it in an appropriately sized box with lots of bubble wrap and foam then shipping it is probably safer than flying with it. I mean, that's how guitars are shipped to stores, rarely with incident.

Brütal Wülfsex: "SWORD WIELDING ALPHA METAL" - Rocky Dennis
Sylvus
Misthelm

02 Aug 2014, 13:26
Profile WWW
Metal Guru

robofist wrote:
Packing it in an appropriately sized box with lots of bubble wrap and foam then shipping it is probably safer than flying with it. I mean, that's how guitars are shipped to stores, rarely with incident.

Yep, and leave off the FRAGILE stickers. Having worked at one of the major shipping companies I can tell you they don't do a lick of good. Spend money on a good box with the heaviest weight rating you can find, use good packing tape (at least 2") and bubble wrap the shit out of it.

06 Aug 2014, 16:24
Profile YIM
Metal Guru

When I got a Stealth it came with a sort of "universal" case that fits all their odd-shaped guitars. Might be worth getting one of those and then packing the whole thing in cardboard.

http://www.myspace.com/dimentianon

06 Aug 2014, 18:17
Profile WWW
Metal Guru

thanks for the feedback folks.

16 Aug 2014, 11:17

don't forget to insure it.

31 Aug 2014, 06:01
Metal Guru

At my post office there was a long, strange shaped box they called a golf box that was perfect. I shipped a caseless Carvin v220 (a rather pointy guitar) and it went through fine. Unfortunately googling the term golf box yields different shit, so I suspect that may have been a location-specific nickname. But they may still carry it, go up and ask them about a box that fits an electric guitar.

an ancient, itching eldritch god

we stole from him a nectar sipped
from any light that heaven sent
slept in a new dead Eden, awed

31 Aug 2014, 08:17
Metal Guru

I'm sure this has been done already but...

I had a Jackson Rhoads shipped to me a few months ago sans case. The guy had a shaped box which he had filled with newspaper/foam/packing peanuts. He also wrapped the entire guitar in layers of bubble wrap and had extra wrapping around the neck and headstock.

The guitar made it's way from Australia to Montreal and arrived without any damage done to it.

31 Aug 2014, 21:11