It is currently 03 Mar 2015, 11:36

Any experience with a Mesa 550+ combo? 
Metal Guru

Post Any experience with a Mesa 550+ combo?
I've been looking at one of these for a while. I just fuck around in my den and wanted to get other peoples opinion. Sound, versatility etc. Thanks in advance.

27 Jan 2015, 22:37
Metal Guru

Post Re: Any experience with a Mesa 550+ combo?
I've got the previous model Express 5/50 without the EQ. It's a KILLER amp. The cleans are outstanding and it's super loud. 4 Usable channel modes all sound good (only 2 are foot switchable though). I'm not crazy about the burn channel on it's own though for heavy stuff. If you put an EQ in the loop or an overdrive out front you can get it to be pretty damn heavy but it's not quite balls-out heavy on it's own. It has the 5watt/50watt switch but even at 5 watts it can get crazy loud. Its a lot of money for a fuck-around house amp though. I bought mine thinking "this is the last combo I'll ever buy" and so far it has been.

07 Feb 2015, 21:55
Metal Guru

Release wrote:
I've got the previous model Express 5/50 without the EQ. It's a KILLER amp. The cleans are outstanding and it's super loud. 4 Usable channel modes all sound good (only 2 are foot switchable though). I'm not crazy about the burn channel on it's own though for heavy stuff. If you put an EQ in the loop or an overdrive out front you can get it to be pretty damn heavy but it's not quite balls-out heavy on it's own. It has the 5watt/50watt switch but even at 5 watts it can get crazy loud. Its a lot of money for a fuck-around house amp though. I bought mine thinking "this is the last combo I'll ever buy" and so far it has been.

:cheers: Cool. Thanks. I was really wondering about the cleans. I'm not worried about the heavy because (like you said) that's just a pedal away. I'm probably gonna by one. My only reservation is that NO one within 50 miles has one that I can try and that is a bunch of money for a toy I can't try first.

08 Feb 2015, 02:01
Metal Guru

Ordered it from Sweetwater. Hope I'm not disappointed. It's gonna get loud in here. :)

10 Feb 2015, 21:21
Metal Guru

The mids are where it's at. Mesa makes a sweet amp. The "others" make great ones too. For my money, Mesa stomps all over Marshall and Orange. The clean headroom is obvious. Mesa's "breath" for lack of a better description, makes them the best to MY ears.

10 Feb 2015, 22:47
Metal Guru

I wouldn't begin to call myself a musician either. I'm just a dude who likes music.

10 Feb 2015, 22:59
Metal Guru

Awesome, have fun!!! :shred:

13 Feb 2015, 20:46
Metal Guru

Just got it yesterday. WOW. This thing has tone(s) for days. It's gonna take a while to explore it. The cleans are godlike and sensitive. Every Fender should be ashamed. So tweakable it's overwhelming. The dirt is very musical up to retard saturation levels. I should've probably got the 5:25 because the volume on the 2nd channel is ridiculous. Love it but it stomps all over my ears. 25-50 watt is loud as fuck! In summary I would recommend this amp in a heartbeat to anyone who wants a very musically versatile and powerful amp. No real weak spots. 4.5 out of 5. Would Bang.

15 Feb 2015, 18:08