It is currently 22 Sep 2017, 17:34

Random Musician Shtuff 
Metal Guru

Post Re: Random Musician Shtuff
I'm not sure what caused it tbh. I am seeing some improvement, but I've been practicing like a madman, I'd be surprised if I didn't. I just hope I don't plateau any time soon. I've got big plans.

Also yo Exorcist, check this wild shit out

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qDObyBEMFQ4

Might be time for me to invest in a proper acoustic, yeah?

03 Aug 2017, 12:40
Metal Guru

Xerxes wrote:
It ain't all beautiful music, skinny man. Remember, a substantial amount of my practice time is spent rehabilitating my janked up ring finger. I spent like two hours today noodling in a ho-hum manner in a key that doesn't exist. It sounded fairly schizophrenic.

But there were a few lengthy moments when my ring finger more or less worked. I suspect I'm basically my own physical therapist at this point.

Does it feel like the nerve isn't communicating with the muscle? Not to alarm, but have you considered that it could potentially be focal dystonia?

07 Aug 2017, 18:27
Metal Guru

No clue. Relentless practicing is improving it, so...

Edit: it's almost certain focal dystonia. I believe it can be "overwritten" however. You basically train it into yourself, i think.

07 Aug 2017, 20:06
Metal Guru

I'm so fucking glad that Ted Nugent got brought up on the BB. I'm working on Cat Scratch Fever right now. Ted really lays into those fucking bends, man.

10 Aug 2017, 18:47
Metal Guru

Holy hell. I think I got in a solid five hours of practice yesterday, and all I want to do is finish work, go home to shower, get lit, and play guitar until I can't feel my fingers.

11 Aug 2017, 09:53
Metal Guru

Swap weed for dissos and we are living the same life, my dude. Guitar is love.

11 Aug 2017, 14:43
Metal Guru

Xerxes wrote:
Swap weed for dissos and we are living the same life, my dude. Guitar is love.

:cheers:

I'm just wrapping up a couple hours of practice. I've got Cat Scratch Fever memorized up until the solo, which I'm pretty happy about all things considered. I didn't realize that I really love that song until I started to learn it.

11 Aug 2017, 18:42
Metal Guru

Xerxes wrote:

This had me giggling. Wild stuff.

12 Aug 2017, 06:02
Profile WWW
Metal Guru

The Invisible Embodied wrote:
Xerxes wrote:

This had me giggling. Wild stuff.

That really is fucking crazy, isn't it? Sweet fuck...

12 Aug 2017, 13:47
Metal Guru

Smoked out of my head, been playing guitar most of the day and night. Pretty much nothing but working on Cat Scratch Fever, and Baby Please Don't Go. BPDG is only at roughly half speed right now, but even that is tricky. Thankfully it still sounds badass :m:

12 Aug 2017, 21:30
Metal Guru

Since we're remotely on the subject, I just have to share the acoustic pieces that also blow me away and I have revisited hundreds of times:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2-5m74P5AWE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AAGpXIis8Hk

12 Aug 2017, 23:56
Profile WWW
Metal Guru

gear question: looking for a 5-20 watt head that can drive a 2x12 and has a modern metal sound. Have a tiny terror and a dark terror (on loan) but looking for something that can get me into Anaal Nathrakh territory I guess. I finally have the $$ to make this happen hope to spend under $700 US.

OR

If you have a totally different approach to get a modern "extreme" metal sound that is from a completely different angle than the one I am talking about I am all ears.

14 Aug 2017, 00:37
Metal Guru

Fraeg wrote:
gear question: looking for a 5-20 watt head that can drive a 2x12 and has a modern metal sound. Have a tiny terror and a dark terror (on loan) but looking for something that can get me into Anaal Nathrakh territory I guess. I finally have the $$ to make this happen hope to spend under $700 US.

I can't say that I have an answer for you, but I've been looking at Orange when it comes to upgrading current amp (Marshall MG30DFX). What are you running the Tiny & Dark Terror through in terms of a cabinet? What kind of differences have you noticed in the two Terrors?

14 Aug 2017, 08:56
Metal Guru

running through a 2x12 made by whitebox engineering:

1 x Modern 212 Eminence () = $494.97
Casters: No
Slanted Baffle: Yes
Stereo / Mono Jackplate: Yes
Speaker: Texas Heat
Speaker 2: The Governor
Metal Grill: No

It made sense at the time, probably going to buy a 1x12 with a very different speaker.

The dark terror is definitely "darker" with a more metal tone, the regular tiny terror is kinda a one trick pony with a great hard rock sound.

21 Aug 2017, 15:52
Metal Guru

looking at buying a EVH 5150 III LBX 15

http://homerecording.com/bbs/equipment- ... -339106/4/
oops bad link

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B015FJXA34?re ... -HI-4DCJUB

anyone here own one.

Bummer how this forum died, I got some really amazing advice over the years here.

Last edited by Fraeg on 27 Aug 2017, 00:48, edited 1 time in total.

26 Aug 2017, 14:50
Metal Guru

The Peavey 6505 MH looks killer for metal. You already have a 212, so I'm pretty sure it's within your budget.

Alternatively, you can also look into a Laney IRT-studio, a Carvin V3M, and might even be able to find a mesa boogie mini rectifier used.

All of these have quite a bit of gain on tap. The Peavey and i'm pretty sure the Laney as well, are MIC. The Carvin and Mesa Boogie are US-made.

Let your demons run...

26 Aug 2017, 18:28
Metal Guru

Xerxes wrote:
No clue. Relentless practicing is improving it, so...

Edit: it's almost certain focal dystonia. I believe it can be "overwritten" however. You basically train it into yourself, i think.

If you want some interesting reading on the matter, check out this book:

https://www.amazon.ca/Classical-Guitari ... 1492917109

Also, you could give Christian Muenzer a shout, as he's been working around focal dystonia issues for some time now.

01 Sep 2017, 17:16
Metal Guru

Depression was killing my motivation for most of the last week or so, but I picked up a guitar for 45 minutes or so yesterday and I've got my LTD in my lap as I type. Time to get back to work :m:

06 Sep 2017, 15:56
Metal Guru

My LTD has been my go-to guitar for the last month and change. It has extra jumbo frets on it and it just generally plays like butter. It's fucking killer. Anyways, I took out my Kramer yesterday which has regular frets on it. Holy fuck did I feel like a hack. Those XJ frets really make a difference in ease of playability!

11 Sep 2017, 11:42
Metal Guru

Sad little story time:

In June of last year, my wife and I had our first child. By the time the year was out, I made the hard ass decision to leave the band I had founded and carried for 11-12ish years. Just not enough time for the band and give my family the time they need. But not only have I found myself without a band, but I almost never even have time to pick up my guitar and let my soul breathe for a bit. The few moments I HAVE gotten over the last year have been frustrating as the Marshall combo I've been rocking since highschool has now decided to go on the fritz, resulting in me angrily shutting it off. A couple weeks ago my old bandmates asked me to join them onstage at an upcoming show. I told the wife that I HAD to make time to practice on my half stack because of this. When I did...holy fuck. My hands are covered in figurative RUST. I'm losing my chops. My hard right hand, which I developed from years of Hetfield worship and is one of my proudest points of my playing, is failing. I can't play solos that I wrote for my own goddamn songs. It took me all week to get the 2 songs I was going to play with my boys up to snuff. While it was fun as hell to get back up there with them, it was almost depressing to see and feel what my playing has deteriorated to.

I tell this sad story because I am excited at the sort of happy ending. This weekend I am taking my Marshall in to be repaired, and by year's end I am investing in (or likely asking Santa for) a pair of solid headphones, so I can get my jam time in after my kid goes to bed. I can't wait to get back on the horse :shred:

12 Sep 2017, 19:53
Profile WWW
Metal Guru

Sad little story time:

In June of last year, my wife and I had our first child. By the time the year was out, I made the hard ass decision to leave the band I had founded and carried for 11-12ish years. Just not enough time for the band and give my family the time they need. But not only have I found myself without a band, but I almost never even have time to pick up my guitar and let my soul breathe for a bit. The few moments I HAVE gotten over the last year have been frustrating as the Marshall combo I've been rocking since highschool has now decided to go on the fritz, resulting in me angrily shutting it off. A couple weeks ago my old bandmates asked me to join them onstage at an upcoming show. I told the wife that I HAD to make time to practice on my half stack because of this. When I did...holy fuck. My hands are covered in figurative RUST. I'm losing my chops. My hard right hand, which I developed from years of Hetfield worship and is one of my proudest points of my playing, is failing. I can't play solos that I wrote for my own goddamn songs. It took me all week to get the 2 songs I was going to play with my boys up to snuff. While it was fun as hell to get back up there with them, it was almost depressing to see and feel what my playing has deteriorated to.

I tell this sad story because I am excited at the sort of happy ending. This weekend I am taking my Marshall in to be repaired, and by year's end I am investing in (or likely asking Santa for) a pair of solid headphones, so I can get my jam time in after my kid goes to bed. I can't wait to get back on the horse :shred:

Awesome news that you'll be getting back on the horse :m:
What's in your half stack setup?

13 Sep 2017, 15:52
Metal Guru

I was never much of a gear head, and somewhat of a purist. I run no pedals aside from a footswitch channel select, and a tuner before I got myself a Snark. I always felt that an amp should be able to give me the crunch I want without the aid of pedals. I play a Marshall JCM 2000 through a Randall 2x12 + 1x15 cab.

13 Sep 2017, 20:09
Profile WWW
Metal Guru

I was never much of a gear head, and somewhat of a purist. I run no pedals aside from a footswitch channel select, and a tuner before I got myself a Snark. I always felt that an amp should be able to give me the crunch I want without the aid of pedals. I play a Marshall JCM 2000 through a Randall 2x12 + 1x15 cab.

Groovy!

As a huge Ministry freak, I just love the idea of a pedalboard from hell at my disposal but I definitely want to find the amp that makes it feel like I'm playing through my own stuff and not through spare gear (ie just through a Marshall MG30DFX combo amp). It sounds pretty good with a little bit of reverb but it just feels like it's missing something that I can't quite put my finger on.

14 Sep 2017, 13:25
Metal Guru

Sad little story time:

glad to hear there is a happy ending, and congratulations on your child!!

20 Sep 2017, 15:30
Metal Guru

So my guitar teacher is showing me how to play House of the Rising Sun.

That fucking song is way faster than it ever sounded in my head. To me, that is a song that should be slow, melancholy, and sound like it's on heroin. I don't know why I always thought that it was less than half the actual speed that it is, but here we are!

22 Sep 2017, 09:06