It is currently 22 Nov 2017, 13:31

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 122 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Random Musician Shtuff 
Metal Guru

Post Re: Random Musician Shtuff
Might have figured out my ring finger problem. It's about to go down.

21 Jun 2017, 14:27
Metal Guru

https://www.smule.com/p/352545290_1429767617

I made a recording of me doing the philosopher. I've been working on my singing voice for about
A year now. Been doing harsh vocals for a few months finally proud enough to share something even though it sucks

08 Jul 2017, 00:08
Metal Guru

^^^

That was pretty cool.
Nice one.

08 Jul 2017, 13:51
Metal Guru

thanks man!

10 Jul 2017, 07:26
Metal Guru

I spent two hours yesterday running over a pentatonic scale in fourths, fifths, and sevenths. Thank fucking god for weed, because I don't know that I'd have the patience to work on just basic exercises like that for so fucking long otherwise. Now I just need to finish this shift so I can go home and do it all again.

12 Jul 2017, 12:24
Metal Guru

You gotta fall into the zen of it, man.

I'm waging war on the nerve damage (or whatever it is) in my ring finger. It's like a cruel joke. I'm a leftie who plays right handed, right? So my fret hand was extra spicy. My ring finger in particular was my best finger, I could do these wicked fucking trills.

But something happened man, and now it feels like that finger is asleep or something, I dunno.

But I'm either going to regain the ability to lose that hand or I'm going to die trying. Fuck the bullshit, duder. I played guitar way too much to let it all wither away.

15 Jul 2017, 08:03
Metal Guru

Funny you should mention trills.

My teacher showed me what those were at my lesson this past Thursday, and used Thunderstruck as an example. We didn't get into it, he just ran through it explaining what he was doing, and that those were trills.

So just for the fuck of it I've been learning to play Thunderstruck and while I'm still several miles away from being even close to proficient at it, I've got the basic pattern down and you can tell what it is that I'm trying to play when I play it. I've never been so jazzed to play a song so badly, but here we are. Progress!

Keep working your fingers and get you some progress, too 8)

15 Jul 2017, 09:00
Metal Guru

Er... that Thunderstruck lick isn't a trill, that's a pedal tone.

A trill is like... 787878787878787878787878787878 really fast.

This

15 Jul 2017, 09:37
Metal Guru

Xerxes wrote:
Er... that Thunderstruck lick isn't a trill, that's a pedal tone.

A trill is like... 787878787878787878787878787878 really fast.

This

I may be wrong about the trilling, but here's how I've been doing it. There's no delay/pedal tricks just a series of hammer-ons and pull-offs that are fast as fuck. Everything I'm seeing online is saying that it's just picked straight through, but the way I was shown was entirely left handed, no pick involved.

4-0-7-0-4-0-7-0-4-0-7-0-4-0-7-0-5-0-8-0-5-0-8-0-5-0-8-0-5-0-8-0

That's the first part of it. Then when it changes up:

12-0-10-0-9-0-10-0-9-0-7-0-9-0-5-0-7-0-4-0-5-0-4-0-5-0-4-0-5-0-4-0-5-0

So I suppose you could pick each note, but yeah, as far as I was shown and I've been working it, it's all pull offs and hammer-ons. The only thing I use my picking hand is for is to cheat and mute the high E and the D strings to make learning the technique a little easier. I am obviously not playing it at full speed :lol:

17 Jul 2017, 14:38
Metal Guru

Getting better at guitar is very much like unpicking a very t angled up knot. One thread at a time, and be infinitely patient with yourself. We all have basically the same hands, the difference between a Guitar Center punk and Paul Gilbert is largely a matter of mental infrastructure.

I'm actually itching to record a little this morning but my computer is being a royal butthead. I'll probably post the results if I can get my shit heap of a computer to cooperate.

21 Jul 2017, 07:31
Metal Guru

Jammin (in the name of the lord)

I even went through the additional effort of recording it with a tree stump. :abbath:

Not convinced I got the tempo quite right though

21 Jul 2017, 09:00
Metal Guru

Xerxes wrote:
Getting better at guitar is very much like unpicking a very t angled up knot. One thread at a time, and be infinitely patient with yourself. We all have basically the same hands, the difference between a Guitar Center punk and Paul Gilbert is largely a matter of mental infrastructure.

I'm actually itching to record a little this morning but my computer is being a royal butthead. I'll probably post the results if I can get my shit heap of a computer to cooperate.

That sounds like a pretty apt description. It's really just a matter of putting in the time. The fact that I tend to practice for a very bare minimum of one hour every day (and usually more than that) certainly makes the learning process seem easier for me. No rushing, just repetition and the will to wait as long as it takes for everything to fall into place.

I started fucking around with Square Hammer by Ghost last night, and I just want to finish work as soon as I possibly can so I can go back home and get back to it.

21 Jul 2017, 09:51
Metal Guru

Does a body good, home boy.

21 Jul 2017, 10:01
Metal Guru

And a mind, for that matter!
You know when my brain seems incapable of fucking with me? When I'm concentrating on not fucking up what I'm playing. It's a pretty righteous distraction.

21 Jul 2017, 11:29
Metal Guru

Shit I've learned over the last week and change:

1) AC/DC, particularly Thunderstruck, are the ideal example of stuff that you pretty much need the gain on your amp jacked up to 10 for it to sound just right. You also have to control the fuck out of your strings to make sure it doesn't sound like hot garbage, but when it's right? Ooooohhhh baby! :drool:

2) The ESP that I have is the guitar that I certainly play the least. It's a double cutaway and there's absolutely nothing wrong with it, but the tones that come out of my Epiphone and my Kramer tend to suit my ears a little more. But those scales that get up around and past the 12th fret suddenly have said ESP as my go-to guitar lately.

3) I would rather be playing a guitar than doing just about anything.

22 Jul 2017, 13:43
Metal Guru

8-string guitars are way cheaper than I presumed. Link

I'f I could find one with a whammy bar and True Temperament frets I could stop buying the damn things.

26 Jul 2017, 13:17
Metal Guru

Xerxes wrote:
8-string guitars are way cheaper than I presumed. Link

I'f I could find one with a whammy bar and True Temperament frets I could stop buying the damn things.

I love the idea of owning a 7 or 8 string guitar, but I need to figure out what to do with the 6 strings I have first :lol:

27 Jul 2017, 07:29
Metal Guru

I just like the idea of having an extended range. I'd also like to try one of those guitars with the bridge pickup omitted and the fretboard extended. I have no idea how playable teensy tiny frets would be realistically, and I'd have to get a V or some other exotic body shape for the frets to be reachable, but I... well, I love that kind of shit. Give me a thirty string guitar with ninety frets and four whammy bars, I'll figure out something to do with it.

27 Jul 2017, 13:53
Metal Guru

Even for someone with tiny lady fingers like me those higher frets are a bitch and a half to hit with any sort of accuracy. I don't know how the hell anybody uses those high frets :lol:

28 Jul 2017, 10:52
Metal Guru

But dude, that's where the weedly-weedlies live.

28 Jul 2017, 10:56
Metal Guru

And I intend to find them! I'll have to look up some more scales to fuck around with that use that higher part of the neck, especially now that I'm learning how to solo.

28 Jul 2017, 11:06
Metal Guru

My new thing: no covers. NO learning anyone else's shit. I'm not a parrot. I have something to say. Only Xerxes music now.

29 Jul 2017, 12:02
Metal Guru

I'm patiently awaiting the day where I know enough about the instrument to be able to really do that. The improvised soloing is a trip and a half to fuck around with. Anything beyond that seems like a mind blowing prospect to me. Rock that shit, Sexrex.

29 Jul 2017, 18:10
Metal Guru

It ain't all beautiful music, skinny man. Remember, a substantial amount of my practice time is spent rehabilitating my janked up ring finger. I spent like two hours today noodling in a ho-hum manner in a key that doesn't exist. It sounded fairly schizophrenic.

But there were a few lengthy moments when my ring finger more or less worked. I suspect I'm basically my own physical therapist at this point.

29 Jul 2017, 19:43
Metal Guru

Xerxes wrote:
You gotta fall into the zen of it, man.

I'm waging war on the nerve damage (or whatever it is) in my ring finger. It's like a cruel joke. I'm a leftie who plays right handed, right? So my fret hand was extra spicy. My ring finger in particular was my best finger, I could do these wicked fucking trills.

But something happened man, and now it feels like that finger is asleep or something, I dunno.

But I'm either going to regain the ability to lose that hand or I'm going to die trying. Fuck the bullshit, duder. I played guitar way too much to let it all wither away.

your ulnar nerve (sp?) comes off of c6? in your neck and runs through your arm. I am having issues with my left pinky and the finger next to it. IT fucking sucks.... I think mine is due to a neck injury. I hope you have spent the time to get medical treatment.

31 Jul 2017, 00:08
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 122 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next