It is currently 25 Apr 2017, 07:30

Random Musician Shtuff 
Metal Guru

Post Re: Random Musician Shtuff
Exorcist wrote:
Domsen wrote:
I'm thinking about buying a new e-guitar. The ESP Alex Sknolnick one or some ESP that looks like a telecaster but has 2 EMG Humbucker.

I'd love to get the James Root stuff. All of it :lol: His Fender Jazzmaster with the 2 humbucker looks awesome. The black orange amp looks fantastic. I love orange amps by the way. They're awesome. And the top of the amp is also great. Those small 50 watt heads which aren't very expensive are easily perfect for hard rock stuff. If you want luxury you'll buy luxury, but those are just fantastic for their price.
But then I HATE Slipknot. And if I buy his stuff I'll get asked for always why I have all his equipment when I hate that band. :lol:

Great gear is great gear. It's not like you have to wear a jumpsuit whenever you use it :)

Thanks, you just want me to buy that stuff and then make fun of me right Derek? :)

18 Mar 2017, 20:08
Metal Guru

Domsen wrote:
Exorcist wrote:
Domsen wrote:
I'm thinking about buying a new e-guitar. The ESP Alex Sknolnick one or some ESP that looks like a telecaster but has 2 EMG Humbucker.

I'd love to get the James Root stuff. All of it :lol: His Fender Jazzmaster with the 2 humbucker looks awesome. The black orange amp looks fantastic. I love orange amps by the way. They're awesome. And the top of the amp is also great. Those small 50 watt heads which aren't very expensive are easily perfect for hard rock stuff. If you want luxury you'll buy luxury, but those are just fantastic for their price.
But then I HATE Slipknot. And if I buy his stuff I'll get asked for always why I have all his equipment when I hate that band. :lol:

Great gear is great gear. It's not like you have to wear a jumpsuit whenever you use it :)

Thanks, you just want me to buy that stuff and then make fun of me right Derek? :)

Nope! I've been a Slipknot fan since I saw them on Ozzfest back in 1999 :lol:

18 Mar 2017, 21:00
Metal Guru

I know, but I'm not :)

18 Mar 2017, 22:27
Metal Guru

After learning the theme from the X Files as well as Planet Caravan, I can confirm that my dog does not care for reverb or delay. Every other time I've practiced my guitar she'd just curl up beside me and fart up a storm. Any time I've been practicing stuff with reverb, though? Nope! She bolts like the world is gonna end.

20 Mar 2017, 09:35
Metal Guru

You should start a band, called "the dogfarts". :)

20 Mar 2017, 14:49
Metal Guru

Exorcist wrote:
Xerxes wrote:
I got approached to join a hair metal cover band by the bassist of Mindvent, which was until earlier this year the biggest band in coastal Virginia. Talk about a fucking ego boost. You know how every city has that one band that opens for every big band? That was Mindvent. Until they split up

:m:

Gonna do it?

Depends. Gotta get me a cable, and see what I can do about the nerve damage fucking with my fret hand. That really screws with one's mojo. I'm a leftie who plays right handed, so my fret hand was decent. I was capable of some fairly nasty legato shit once upon a time.

21 Mar 2017, 11:59
Metal Guru

Give 'er hell then, bud :cheers:

Last night I decided to try to play that intro to Buried Dreams by Carcass. I didn't want to go to the trouble of tuning down just to fuck with one lick, so I tried it in standard.

I'm sorry for what I did to your song, Mr. Steer. I am so, so sorry :(

22 Mar 2017, 09:50
Metal Guru

If you don't mind the mental gymnastics, just tune the E string down to the lowest pitch you'll be using and adapt the song from there. That's what Zakk Wylde does. Which is odd, considering he can probably afford to have a dude on standby with a bunch of different guitars. But it does work.

22 Mar 2017, 12:25
Metal Guru

Tempting, but I'll probably just force myself to be less lazy. I love practicing and I often do for at least an hour a day, but actually getting set up and sat down to do it is my biggest mental hurdle. What I should do is look for a few songs/riffs that I want to learn that share common tunings and tune my ESP and Kramer down full time (both have a Floyd Rose setup so it makes more sense to have dedicated tunings for those), and to float through tunings on the Epiphone since it's quicker to tune.

I've gotta find a way to get my guitars to not hum like motherfuckers when I'm running them through the distortion channel on my amp, too. I'm positive that a noisegate is a wise investment at this point. I practicing with the distortion on just pisses me off because of the fucking constant hum.

23 Mar 2017, 09:25
Metal Guru

Exorcist wrote:
Give 'er hell then, bud :cheers:

Last night I decided to try to play that intro to Buried Dreams by Carcass. I didn't want to go to the trouble of tuning down just to fuck with one lick, so I tried it in standard.

And there's the exact reason why I started playing 7 string axes over a decade ago. :D

Especially having only one guitar back then, tuning up and down that many steps means a whole new setup, with new and diff gauge strings each time. I wanted to play carcass and hypocrisy one day, and then plain standard E metallica or whatever the next haha.

Let your demons run...

23 Mar 2017, 10:54
Metal Guru

Exorcist wrote:

:lol: :lol:

23 Mar 2017, 11:51
Metal Guru

My playing seems to be improving pretty steadily now. I even got a "hey, your speed is really coming along well!" from my teacher. Now... someone call in a bomb threat to my work so I can go back home, burn one and get back to it.

31 Mar 2017, 07:26
Metal Guru

Sure thing. You're over at the beefy.com warehouse, yeah?

31 Mar 2017, 20:15
Metal Guru

:roll:

Why not!

01 Apr 2017, 09:25
Metal Guru

I spent my afternoon learning how to restring a guitar with a Floyd Rose bridge. Several hours later, I've got it figured out nicely :m:

08 Apr 2017, 18:40
Metal Guru

Saw Scottie Mishoe on the roadside today, playing for singles. Shouldn't have been as thrilled as I was, the dude's the best slap guitarist on Earth - bar none. But he's an addict. So... there he was.

For the umpteenth time, here's Scott playing slap:
https://youtu.be/YPW3wRZm96s?t=24

Find me a better slap guitarist, and I'll suck your dick and then your dad's.

17 Apr 2017, 20:26