It is currently 17 Oct 2018, 16:47

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 274 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
 Impacts of climate change 
Metal Guru

Post Re: Impacts of climate change
Quote:
Rising temperatures are linked to increasing rates of suicide

Good. Bring on the heat.

24 Jul 2018, 12:59
Metal Guru

Only if you promise to go first. :naughty:

"My soul music isn't a style, genre or niche. It's music that is genuine. It's a painful lyric, a dirty bassline, it's a harrowing vocal, it's feedback, it's an anthem, it's a love song, it's anarchy."

24 Jul 2018, 20:11
Profile ICQ
Metal Guru

He won't. He'll just blame it on the left and/or group that is in opposition to his extremely out of touch beliefs.

24 Jul 2018, 21:03
Metal Guru

xdisciplex wrote:

No. Suicide is for the weak.

24 Jul 2018, 21:06
Metal Guru

Blackjebus wrote:
xdisciplex wrote:

No. Suicide is for the weak.

:ws:

I can't even...

"My soul music isn't a style, genre or niche. It's music that is genuine. It's a painful lyric, a dirty bassline, it's a harrowing vocal, it's feedback, it's an anthem, it's a love song, it's anarchy."

24 Jul 2018, 21:17
Profile ICQ
Metal Guru

Blackjebus wrote:
Quote:

Good. Bring on the heat.

Gross.

Blasphomet wrote:
Give it a googy.

25 Jul 2018, 09:04
Profile ICQ WWW
Metal Guru

Clad In Shadows wrote:
Blackjebus wrote:
Quote:

Good. Bring on the heat.

Gross.

big time

Malevolent_Croatian wrote:
half the time it feels like he's setting the mood to sell me a persian rug.

25 Jul 2018, 09:12
Metal Guru

https://www.theguardian.com/environment ... chael-mann

Quote:
The extreme heatwaves and wildfires wreaking havoc around the globe are “the face of climate change”, one of the world’s leading climate scientists has declared, with the impacts of global warming now “playing out in real time”.

Climate change has long been predicted to increase extreme weather incidents, and scientists are now confident these predictions are coming true. Scientists say the global warming has contributed to on the scorching temperatures that have baked the UK and northern Europe for weeks.

The hot spell was made more than twice as likely by climate change, a new analysis found, demonstrating an “unambiguous” link.

Lawsuits are going to flood the courts around the world trying to hold companies and governments liable, insurance costs are already on the rise and will sky rocket (or you simply won't be covered due to living in a high risk zone), millions more will be displaced each year with nowhere to go until refugee treaties are updated.

But sure, let's keep denying there's a problem or that we can do anything to reverse our impact.

27 Jul 2018, 20:48
Profile ICQ
Metal Guru

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/6859588/deadly-wildfires-and-killer-heatwaves-are-ripping-through-the-planet-from-athens-and-sweden-to-los-angles-and-japan/

Temperatures of 41C (106F) in Japan killing 65, with more than 22,000 in hospital with heat stroke.

Western Honshu and Shikoko were worst hit by the floods in late June to about mid July, now Honshu is the epicentre of a crippling heatwave. Two climate disasters one after the other, over 300 dead already, over 22,000 hospitalized from heat stroke in the heatwave.

28 Jul 2018, 19:02
Profile ICQ
Metal Guru

What a bunch of crazy alarmism. You gotta stop living your life according to what the news headlines are telling you.

As if old geezers (which there are more of than ever) have never died of heat stroke before.

And fires are not new (but they affect more people today because there are more people living everywhere there are forests)

29 Jul 2018, 17:00
Metal Guru

:ws:

29 Jul 2018, 19:56
Profile ICQ
Metal Guru

From Bjorn Lomborg:

The world really is getting better:

Since yesterday:
Life expectancy went up by 9.5 hours
137,000 came out of poverty
305,000 got safer water
295,000 got electricity
620,000 got online for the first time

Thanks to @MaxCRoser & his incredible website
https://slides.ourworldindata.org/talks ... itle-slide

04 Aug 2018, 23:23
Metal Guru

Dissipate wrote:
The world really is getting better:

Did you notice how nothing in the 39 slides talk about climate change? Not even once.

The world is getting better due to advances in technology, improved medicine, developing worlds freeing themselves of the colonialisation and imperialism and choosing their own destiny.

The only time anything remotely relevant to this thread was posted is on the final slide when it actually shows you what the SDG's are.

https://sustainabledevelopment.un.org/sdgs
https://blogs.worldbank.org/opendata/20 ... evelopment

Sustainable Development... about 10 of the 17 are directly related to climate change yet the slide show failed to mention any of them. Strange.

05 Aug 2018, 02:14
Profile ICQ
Metal Guru

I'm starting to see life expectancy and birth rate increases as a big negative.

And then be a reflection of their loss

05 Aug 2018, 12:07
Metal Guru

Sure, it isn't exactly the good news it once was. Our species is more prone to survive.

But we're wiping out all the others, largely to take more resources for ourselves.

If we were a smart species, we'd make sure contraceptives were the norm and crash those birth rates. Instead the very same people who see no problems with us wrecking the earth are the ones who also object to contraceptives, abortion, or any other voluntary limits on human breeding.

Oh, if we go on as we have been, it will "correct" downwards, but only after we cause a state of catastrophic destruction to all species. Then we get to experience what "involuntary reduction" looks like. And I'm sure the dipshits responsible for these omnicidal decisions will still disavow any responsibility for it happening.

And people wonder why I say the things I do. :up2:

Last edited by verbalsniper on 09 Aug 2018, 11:52, edited 1 time in total.

06 Aug 2018, 12:18
Metal Guru

PM of Australia finally admits that Australia's become a "land of drought":

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-australia-45075838

Care to deal with the issue of why ?

06 Aug 2018, 12:29
Metal Guru

Timely, condsidering the Agriculture Minister wouldn't bother to talk on climate change last night on our weekly Q&A panel. https://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/entert ... 4zvw8.html

Again touting renewables as not the answer, too expensive, while his party supports new coal which is vastly more expensive than renewables projects in production already.

There's a National Energy Guarantee the PM is trying to get off the ground, his own backbench is pissing it down every chance they get (i.e. https://www.theguardian.com/australia-n ... g-turnbull)and the states are unlikely to back it at the next COAG because the government hasn't even defined exactly what it is yet. And it's not National, just the eastern states, does take effect until John Howards Renewable Energy Target expires in 2020, will cost billions and will only aim for a target that will already be achieved by Howard's old policy.

The same government that gave us Direct Action, which cost the country billions in energy auctions and emissions went up, so it did nothing but give polluters billions of dollars. And it all started with Abbott - https://www.theguardian.com/australia-n ... ate-change

But it seems the planet is at the tipping point now, and if we pass it, there is nothing we can do.

https://www.theguardian.com/environment ... ouse-state
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-08-07/c ... h/10080274

06 Aug 2018, 18:06
Profile ICQ
Metal Guru

xdisciplex wrote:
The only time anything remotely relevant to this thread was posted is on the final slide when it actually shows you what the SDG's are.

I think it is relevant because it provides some context. the global warming crowd are frequently alarmist and are often willing to mislead the public to advance their agenda which usually does not involve anything remotely close to solving climate change. Usually the agenda is bigger government and higher taxes or in the case of the anti-Canadian-energy groups the goal is to land-lock the Canadian oil sands to benefit foreign oil producers.

You could argue that the forest fire graph should be in the weather thread since it only applies to this year. Over the past 100 years the forest fire problem has actually diminished somewhat as Bjorn Lomborg points out:

https://www.facebook.com/bjornlomborg/p ... 1197598968

As you say, the goal is sustainable development and using scarce resources to get the best bang-for-the-buck. Usually this means leaving money in the pockets of talented individuals and charities that can actually make a difference in the world.

06 Aug 2018, 18:21
Metal Guru

It's so hot in South Korea you can incubate chicken eggs by doing nothing more than leaving them outside.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2018/ ... ord-deaths

08 Aug 2018, 23:15
Profile ICQ
Metal Guru

great, now i'm starving.

09 Aug 2018, 05:07
Metal Guru

I hear Korean BBQ is good.

It's not a good sign when arguably one of the most corrupt, criminal bank empires in the world says the world is fucked. https://www.businessinsider.com.au/hsbc ... ife-2018-8

Quote:
“In our opinion, these findings and events show that many businesses and governments are not adequately prepared for climate impacts, nor are they using natural resources efficiently,” the HSBC analysts said in the note.

09 Aug 2018, 05:21
Profile ICQ
Metal Guru

The current edition of the NY Times Magazine is entirely dedicated to climate change. Some 30,000 words according to this relatively crazy article (which suggests Canada is salvation & housing around the great lakes is wicked affordable... clearly she's got no idea) - https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfr ... -heatwaves

The full article here, I'm still working my way through it, and honestly probably won't finish it. - https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/201 ... earth.html

10 Aug 2018, 04:12
Profile ICQ
Metal Guru

Dyer: On Course for Hothouse Earth

http://www.metrowestdailynews.com/opini ... ouse-earth

Quote:
It would be churlish to ask what took them so long. Let us be grateful, instead, that the climate scientists are finally saying out loud what they all knew privately at least 10 years ago.

What 16 of them are now saying, in an article in the “Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences,” is that if we don’t soon get off the highway we are currently traveling on, we will be irrevocably committed to a “Hothouse Earth.” How soon is “soon”? Probably no more than 10 to 20 years away. That’s the last exit.

The article has the usual low-key scientific title: “Trajectories of the Earth System in the Anthropocene.” The authors never raise their voices, but they do point out that the likeliest of those trajectories – the one we will stay on even if all the promises in the 2015 Paris Accord on climate change are kept – runs right off a cliff.

“Hothouse Earth” is not very hospitable to human life. Hundreds of millions or even a billion or two would probably survive, but the damage to agricultural systems would be so extreme that billions more would die. (The authors don’t say this, of course. Putting it into words is too “alarmist” – but the people who actually have to think about these contingencies, like the military in the developed countries, know it very well.)

What the authors ARE saying is that “global warming” driven directly by human emissions of carbon dioxide and other greenhouse gases is only part of the problem. In fact, it’s the smaller part. The real threat is the unstoppable natural “feedbacks,” triggered by the warming that we have caused, that will take us up to the killing temperatures of Hothouse Earth.

They list 10 of them, the biggest being the loss of Arctic sea-ice, the melting of the permafrost zone, dieback in both the boreal and the Amazon forests, and changes driven by warming in the ocean circulation system. Just triggering one or two of these feedbacks could cause enough additional warming to set off others, like a row of toppling dominoes, and take us up to those lethal temperatures within this century.

Now, this is not really news to climate scientists. When I was writing a book about climate change 10 years ago, I interviewed scores of them in half a dozen countries, including Dr. Hans-Joachim Schellnhuber, one of the lead authors of this paper and then the director of the Potsdam Institute for Climate Impact Research in Germany (and Angela Merkel’s climate adviser).

He already knew all this stuff then. Everybody did, at Potsdam, at the Hadley Centre for Climate Change in England, at the National Center for Atmospheric Research in Boulder, Colorado, and in universities that had a serious climate research program. It was the point of departure, the underlying assumption of every conversation I had.

Yet the role of these feedbacks in the system was not discussed in the scientific journals, not included in the predictions of future warming issued every four or five years by the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC), and definitely not part of the public debate. Why not?

If you spot smoke billowing out of a house, you don’t wait to see actual flames, check what substances are burning, and calculate the heat of the fire. You call the Fire Department immediately. But that’s not how science works.

When you make a statement in science, you have to be able to prove it, generally with hard numbers and testable predictions. The hard numbers simply weren’t available yet – and if you go public without that evidence, you will be torn to pieces by your scientific colleagues (who are also your rivals, of course).

So the climate scientists didn’t make grand assertions – but they did manage to get the threshold of two degrees Celsius higher global temperature adopted as the never-exceed target for the IPCC’s efforts to get the warming under control. (Nobody said publicly how they arrived at that number, but it was because the scientists thought that +2 degrees C was about where the feedbacks would start kicking in.)

The scale and trigger-points of the feedbacks have finally been calculated, more or less, and the news is just as bad as the scientists feared. We have already passed the point where a return to the stable climate of the past 14,000 years is possible, and we are on course for Hothouse Earth.

The best we can do is try to stabilize the warming at or just below +2 C, and that will not be possible without major human interventions in the climate system. The “Stabilized Earth” is not a natural stopping place: staying there would require “deep cuts in greenhouse gas emissions, protection and enhancement of biosphere carbon sinks, efforts to remove CO2 from the atmosphere, (and) possibly solar radiation management ...”

You will notice that geo-engineering (“solar radiation management”) is already part of the package, and that it will be down to human beings to manage the entire ecosystem to keep it “stable.” As Jim Lovelock, the creator of Earth System Science (“Gaia”), wrote 39 years ago, we may “wake up one day to find that (we have) the permanent lifelong job of planetary maintenance engineer.”

I haven’t bothered to ask Jim if we are there yet. Of course we are.

12 Aug 2018, 17:59
Metal Guru

PBS News Hour interview - https://www.pbs.org/newshour/show/clima ... -heres-how

Quote:
Gov. Jerry Brown, D-Calif.:

Fires now are more a part of our ordinary experience. The predictions that things would get drier and hotter are occurring, and that will continue.

Quote:
What we can conclude with a great deal of confidence now is that climate change is making these events more extreme. And it’s not rocket science. You warm up the atmosphere, it is going to hold more moisture, you get larger flooding events, you get more rainfall.

Quote:
William Brangham:

As you heard, Governor Jerry Brown of California said that this is the new normal for us, really speaking globally, and not just in California.

Is that true?

Dr. Michael Mann:

It’s actually worse than that.

A new normal makes it sound like we have arrived in a new position, and that’s where we’re going to be. But if we continue to burn fossil fuels and put carbon pollution into the atmosphere, we are going to continue to warm the surface of the Earth. We’re going to get worse and worse droughts and heat waves and super storms and floods and wildfires.

So it’s up to us. If we act to reduce these carbon emissions, to move away from burning of fossil fuels to renewable energy, then we can prevent these changes from continuing to get worse and worse.

12 Aug 2018, 18:56
Profile ICQ
Junior Headbanger

Between the 9th and 13th centuries, Iceland had 20% more forest cover than it does now . It now has significantly more ice cover than it did many centuries ago.

Climate change is a fucking fraud and cap and trade is a scam to pilfer billions of dollars from the people. Also, all the planets in our solar system have been getting hotter and there ain't nobody living on Mars, Venus etc.

Time for all the alarmists to remove their heads from their asses.

12 Aug 2018, 21:15
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 274 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next