It is currently 20 Aug 2018, 04:39

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 241 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
 Impacts of climate change 
Metal Guru

Post Re: Impacts of climate change
where's the rugged pioneering attitude of your forefathers eh? here you are saying something cant be done cause it's hard. wah :)

04 May 2018, 11:43
Metal Guru

my stance on immigration is we don't do enough for the people who are here already, regardless of how long they've been here or where they came from, fix that first then talk about taking on more. fix the holes in the boat first before you invite more people onboard.

anybody who comes up with any decent common sense ways of doing that, i'll be in favour of. so far nobody seems to be doing that.

Malevolent_Croatian wrote:
half the time it feels like he's setting the mood to sell me a persian rug.

04 May 2018, 11:48
Metal Guru

phencyclidine wrote:
WhPlague wrote:
xdisciplex wrote:
And we still need to update refugee conventions and treaties to include climate change. 750,000 island residents will be displaced within 20-30 years. https://www.motherjones.com/environment ... e-thought/

I disagree about updating refugee conventions.

At least where Canada is concerned. We're already taking more immigrants than we can handle.

bs, there's plenty of room up there.

That "room" is the best part of Canada. No way I will ever agree to let a bunch of people fill it up and fuck it up.

04 May 2018, 12:05
Metal Guru

Rook wrote:
my stance on immigration is we don't do enough for the people who are here already, regardless of how long they've been here or where they came from, fix that first then talk about taking on more. fix the holes in the boat first before you invite more people onboard.

anybody who comes up with any decent common sense ways of doing that, i'll be in favour of. so far nobody seems to be doing that.

And the ONLY system that has ever brought massive numbers of people out of poverty is capitalism (which the far left - who also advocate for mass refugee influx - want to destroy and replace with poverty-inducing policies instead). basically they want to turn every great country into a third-world communist shithole.

04 May 2018, 12:06
Metal Guru

Phen lives in the Sprawl. An eastern seaboard of large city after city after city. Overcrowded land of opportunity. Ontario, let alone the rest of Canada is nothing like that. Even the Windsor-Toronto corridor which has been discussed regarding high-speed rail will take umpteen years and umpteen billions of dollars if that ever even happens. The price I heard for just Hamilton (maybe London?) to Toronto was absurd. Our current rail system isn't built for it. The 'there's lots of room up there' thing is irrelevant.

As Rook mentioned... are we supposed to just start building massive cities throughout this vast land? String them together via ultra high speed rail? Where's the work/business going to come from? New upstarts? Expanding meg-corporations?

Last edited by Blasphomet on 04 May 2018, 14:18, edited 2 times in total.

04 May 2018, 14:12
Metal Guru

Not to mention increasing pressure on already fragile ecosystems, or protected land... I guess we should throw all that away just to build new subdivisions.

What an incredibly numb statement

04 May 2018, 14:16
Metal Guru

So selfish. :)

05 May 2018, 10:18
Metal Guru

Rook wrote:
phencyclidine wrote:
WhPlague wrote:
xdisciplex wrote:
And we still need to update refugee conventions and treaties to include climate change. 750,000 island residents will be displaced within 20-30 years. https://www.motherjones.com/environment ... e-thought/

I disagree about updating refugee conventions.

At least where Canada is concerned. We're already taking more immigrants than we can handle.

bs, there's plenty of room up there.

except people aren't going to the empty space, just crowding already over-crowded urban centers.

if we could find a way to start populating some of this empty land that'd be different, but that's a whole other ball of wax.

There's a natural reason why those areas are sparsely populated. If it could sustain a dense population, it would already have a dense population.

06 May 2018, 00:20
Metal Guru

Yep. There's a reason 90% of Canada lives 50 miles of the us border.

Big Metal Dude wrote:
fālsëpøsê.

Rocky Dennis wrote:
Manowar calls, you fucking answer. No excuses, no regrets. Hail and Kill.

06 May 2018, 00:56
Metal Guru

phencyclidine wrote:
So selfish. :)

Nothing wrong with valuing taing care of your own before looking for the downtrodden of the world.

06 May 2018, 05:38
Profile ICQ
Metal Guru

Blackjebus wrote:
Rook wrote:

And the ONLY system that has ever brought massive numbers of people out of poverty is capitalism (which the far left - who also advocate for mass refugee influx - want to destroy and replace with poverty-inducing policies instead). basically they want to turn every great country into a third-world communist shithole.

100% truth.

And then be a reflection of their loss

06 May 2018, 11:15
Metal Guru

So in 2018, antifa squeegee kids still aren't going to change the world with their outlooks on how life should be?

07 May 2018, 23:06
Metal Guru

Blackjebus wrote:
Rook wrote:

Technology & the use of reason brought the world's standard of living up; not the philosophy of endless plunder. Even if you count the latter as economically viable, it is not ecologically sustainable; it is taking more from the world for the human race that no longer works. How humans choose to divide up the pie is another matter.

Taking much more for the luxury of a few really makes even less sense, given that our future survival is already at stake even without this "bonus" damage, but whether that Big Shot In Power is called a Billionaire or a Commissar is irrelevant. They use their power to destroy, to threaten the survival of everyone, and make sure nobody can turn society towards ecological survival.

Die as an fat pampered oligarch, or die as part of some Maoist collective, it's a moot point. The game of right and left is ending. The real issue is survival, and not just the human sort.

08 May 2018, 21:07
Metal Guru

Quote:
For 400 months in a row, our planet has been unusually hot

https://www.nationalobserver.com/2018/05/18/analysis/400-months-row-our-planet-has-been-unusually-hot

Quote:
400 consecutive hotter-than-average months and we’re still pretending climate change isn’t real

https://thenextweb.com/science/2018/05/18/400-consecutive-hotter-than-average-months-and-were-still-pretending-climate-change-isnt-real/

23 May 2018, 01:25
Metal Guru

Arctic warming may hit sudden tipping point

http://winnipegsun.com/opinion/columnis ... 954d735894

Quote:
Here are two interesting facts.

The winter temperatures in the Arctic this year were the highest ever recorded. On two days in February, it was warmer at the North Pole than it was in Zurich, Switzerland. At one site in Greenland, the temperature rose 36 degrees Celsius higher than the average for that time of year.

The other interesting fact, revealed last month in two articles in Nature, is that the Gulf Stream is slowing down. It is now moving more slowly that at any time in the past 1,600 years. This could be very bad news for Western Europe.

The difficulty comes in figuring out what these facts mean – if they mean anything at all, and are not just random variations of an unusually extreme kind. And this is the point in the discussion at which you start to hear the climate scientists use the word “non-linear” all the time.

Most people think of global warming as a smooth, gradual process. It might end up doing a lot of damage, but it will sort of creep up on you. But that is not how climate change has proceeded in many past cases of warming or cooling.

The change can be abrupt and quite extreme – and once it has happened, it becomes the new normal, perhaps for a very long time. Like many complex systems, the climate is non-linear: it stays the same for a long time, and then suddenly some tipping point is reached, and the whole thing flips into a different configuration.

Now, the warming in the Arctic is not non-linear. The trend has been continuous for decades, although it has accelerated greatly in recent years: the amount of sea-ice coverage at the point of maximum freeze-up, in late March, has been far lower in 2015-2018 than ever before.

The current focus of concern is on what the warming is doing to the Greenland ice cap. This ice is on land, and when it melts it raises the sea level. More importantly for the near term may be the fact that it is putting a large volume of fresh water into the northern North Atlantic Ocean.

That may be part of what is slowing the Gulf Stream down. It’s a surface current of warm water from the tropics that travels at an average speed of six km/h, contains as much water as there is in all the world’s rivers, and moves it all the way up to the seas between Iceland and Norway. Then the water cools off, drops to the bottom, and returns southwards as a deep-water cold current.

The Gulf Stream helps keep northwestern Europe warm: England is at the same latitude as Labrador, but the average temperature is more than 10 Celsius degrees higher. Norway, with five million people, is about the same latitude as southern Greenland (pop. 50,000). But the Gulf Stream has stopped entirely a number of times in the distant past, sometimes for centuries.

To be more precise, it stops going so far north: it overturns, dives to the bottom and heads back south long before it reaches the latitude of European countries like Ireland, Britain and Norway. And when it has done that in the past, the average temperature in those countries dropped by up to 10 degrees.

There is reason to suspect that what was happening in these incidents was that a global warming trend was melting a lot of cool fresh water into the northern seas and blocking the Gulf Stream from getting so far north. So is that about to happen again? Nobody knows, but according to the latest studies the Gulf Stream has already slowed by 15 per cent in the past 50 to 150 years.

When it shut down in the past it was abrupt and fast: non-linear, in other words. The 15 per cent slowdown is not necessarily an indicator that the whole northern branch of the current is on the brink of shutting down. But then again, it might be.

24 May 2018, 17:44
Metal Guru

https://qz.com/1288699/scientists-disco ... he-planet/

We don't need to worry about a little bit of melting down south. It's what that melting unleashes next that is going to fuck us.

"My soul music isn't a style, genre or niche. It's music that is genuine. It's a painful lyric, a dirty bassline, it's a harrowing vocal, it's feedback, it's an anthem, it's a love song, it's anarchy."

26 May 2018, 18:56
Profile ICQ
Metal Guru

Quote:
Marine heatwaves are getting hotter, lasting longer and doing more damage

https://www.nationalobserver.com/2018/05/31/analysis/marine-heatwaves-are-getting-hotter-lasting-longer-and-doing-more-damage

01 Jun 2018, 21:11
Metal Guru

Blackjebus wrote:
Until the enviro-fascists can show the math on how much cooler these carbon taxes will make our air, they deserve to be told to fuck off.

Pope Francis, a declared enviro-fascist, on climate change and energy.

Quote:
“We know that the challenges facing us are interconnected. If we are to eliminate poverty and hunger ... the more than 1 billion people without electricity today need to gain access to it,” Francis told them.

“But that energy should also be clean, by a reduction in the systematic use of fossil fuels. Our desire to ensure energy for all must not lead to the undesired effect of a spiral of extreme climate changes due to a catastrophic rise in global temperatures, harsher environments and increased levels of poverty,” he said.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2018/ ... ssil-fuels

"My soul music isn't a style, genre or niche. It's music that is genuine. It's a painful lyric, a dirty bassline, it's a harrowing vocal, it's feedback, it's an anthem, it's a love song, it's anarchy."

09 Jun 2018, 08:49
Profile ICQ
Metal Guru

Since when is the fucking pope a scientific expert?

13 Jun 2018, 00:01
Metal Guru

Blackjebus wrote:

Oh so it's about science now. What about the overwhelming scientific evidence and expertise that apparently matters so little to idiots?

And if the science is overwhelming, isn't it our duty as intelligent beings to do something about it?

:stupider:

13 Jun 2018, 00:14
Profile ICQ
Metal Guru

xdisciplex wrote:
Blackjebus wrote:

Oh so it's about science now. What about the overwhelming scientific evidence and expertise that apparently matters so little to idiots?

And if the science is overwhelming, isn't it our duty as intelligent beings to do something about it?

:stupider:

:cheers: Jeebus changes his tune depending on who's speaking

13 Jun 2018, 10:22
Metal Guru

Never trust the pope.

13 Jun 2018, 10:26
Metal Guru

Blackjebus wrote:
Never trust the pope.

He's merely re articulating an opinion that's already widely held, even in secular circles

13 Jun 2018, 10:38
Metal Guru

I naturally get suspicious of anything this pope supports.

13 Jun 2018, 11:27
Metal Guru

Blackjebus wrote:
I naturally get suspicious of anything this pope supports.

This is merely just convenience since you're already on the border of being a climate denier anyway

13 Jun 2018, 12:18
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 241 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next