It is currently 20 Aug 2017, 12:31

The new SJW snowflake thread. Algebra is RACIST! 
Metal Guru

Post The new SJW snowflake thread. Algebra is RACIST!
Algebra is RACIST!

http://redalertpolitics.com/2017/07/24/ ... pparently/

“Civil rights issue”: Algebra is racist, apparently

Add one more thing to the list of things that are racist: algebra. Apparently the system of mathematical equations discriminates against minorities and low-income students, according to the Chancellor of California Community Colleges.
In an interview with National Public Radio’s (NRP) Robert Seigel, Chancellor Eloy Ortiz Oakley expressed support for the removal of advanced math courses in his community college system, calling it a “civil rights issue.”
“Algebra is one of the biggest hurdles to getting a high school or college degree — particularly for students of color and first-generation undergrads.”
Oakley added that “this is also something that plagues all Americans — particularly low-income Americans.”
Oakley, who is in charge of of 113 community colleges across the state of California, said that his primary focus was to ensure that students undergo “as rigorous course of study as possible” but that it needed to be more relevant to their course of study and that
“There are other math courses that we could introduce that tell us a lot more about our students.”
Apparently math is now an expressionary subject, with the intent to “tell us about our students.” Last time we checked, it was about problem solving.
Skeptics on the issue believe that the Chancellor is simply trying to boost graduation rates.
Less than half of community college students in California graduate with an associate’s degree or transfer to a four-year institution, a fact that Seigel alluded to in the interview.
Oakley pushed back on the idea, however.
“I hear that a lot,” Oakley said “and unfortunately nothing could be farther from the truth. Somewhere along the lines, since the 1950s, we decided that the only measure of a student’s ability to reason or to do some sort of quantitative measure is algebra.”
Oakley maintains that black Americans are disproportionately in poverty due to their lack of participation in higher education. He asserts this comes from an inability to pass algebra (a college requirement) due to poor schooling in high school. By nixing the algebra requirement, more blacks would have access to and success in college.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

https://www.theblaze.com/news/2017/07/2 ... hts-issue/

College chancellor: Requiring students to take algebra is a ‘civil rights issue’

A community college chancellor in California is proposing to get rid of the requirement that all students take intermediate algebra in an effort to boost the graduation rate at his institution.

Eloy Ortiz Oakley, chancellor of California Community Colleges System, made the suggestion during a recent interview with National Public Radio, calling the requirement a “civil rights issue.” Specifically, Oakley said he wants to get rid of the requirement for any community college student who isn’t a STEM major, or focusing their studies in the areas of science, technology, engineering and math.

“What we’re proposing is to take an honest look at what our requirements are and why we even have them,” Oakley said, adding that the college system he leads is going to look into “other math pathways” based on research at other colleges across the country.

Oakley said those “other math pathways” should be “actually relevant to the coursework that the student is pursuing.”

He took it one step further, suggesting that dropping the requirement would not only benefit students academically, but also portrayed it as a “civil rights issue.”

“This is also something that plagues all Americans, particularly low-income Americans,” Oakley said. “If you think about all the underemployed or unemployed Americans in this country who cannot connect to a job in this economy, which is unforgiving of those students who don’t have a credential, the biggest barrier for them is this algebra requirement. It’s what has kept them from achieving a credential.”

Currently, the graduation rate at California Community Colleges is just 48 percent. According to NPR, this includes the number of students who either graduate with an associate’s degree and those who transfer to a four-year college within six years of starting at CCC.

Oakley didn’t dispute the dismal graduation rate, and further disputed that he is taking the “easy way out” by simply dropping the requirement.

“[N]othing could be farther from the truth,” Oakley insisted.

“[S]ince the 1950s, we decided that the only measure of a student’s ability to reason or to do some sort of quantitative measure is algebra. What we’re saying is we want as rigorous a course as possible to determine a student’s ability to succeed, but it should be relevant to their course of study. There are other math courses that we could introduce that tell us a lot more about our students,” Oakley said.

Oakley suggested there are other courses that could teach students the same, underlying principle of reasoning, for which algebra is intended.

“There’s an argument to be made that much of what we ask students to learn prepares them to be just better human beings, allows them to have reasoning skills,” Oakley said. “But again, the question becomes: What data do we have that suggests algebra is that course?”

One example of a course that could replace algebra, Oakley said, is statistics.

“[I]f you think about it, you think about the use of statistics not only for a social science major but for every U.S. citizen,” Oakley said. “This is a skill that we should have all of our students have with them because this affects them in their daily life.”

Oakley cited research by the University of Texas, as well as the Carnegie Foundation, to make his point.

Researchers at Michigan State University also conducted research regarding what it says is a “widening” gap in how well low-income students understand math and how well high-income students understand it.

According to the American Educational Research Association, which cited the 2012 study, the research “confirmed not only that low-income students are more likely to be exposed to weaker math content in schools, but also that a substantial share of the gap in math performance between economically advantaged and disadvantaged students is related to those curricular inequalities.”

“Our findings support previous research by showing that affluent students are consistently provided with greater opportunity to learn more rigorous content, and that students who are exposed to higher-level math have a better ability to apply it to addressing real-world situations of contemporary adult life, such as calculating interest, discounts and estimating the required amount of carpeting for a room,” William Schmidt, one of the authors of the Michigan State University study, said, according to a September 2015 AERA press release.

“But now we know just how important content inequality is in contributing to performance gaps between privileged and underprivileged students,” Schmidt added.

Pierce College and College of the Canyons, both located in Southern California, are just two colleges that have experimented with dropping algebra as a requirement. So, too, have at least five other colleges in California: American River College, Mt. San Antonio College, Diablo Valley College, Foothill College and San Diego City College, the Los Angeles Times reported.

Not all colleges, however, are so eager to cut algebra courses from their core curriculum. The University of California system, for example, said the alternative just isn’t rigorous enough. George Johnson, a University of California mechanical engineering professor, told the Los Angeles Times in 2014 that “the faculty at UC are interested in alternative pathways, but, so far, [it] has not reached the level of quality we expect.”

:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

26 Jul 2017, 14:17
Profile ICQ
Metal Guru

Post Re: The new SJW snowflake thread. Algebra is RACIST!
I knew there was a reason I never liked math!

Fractions are fucking Nazis! :stupider:

26 Jul 2017, 14:22
Metal Guru

Algebra's not even that nasty one. Try differential calculus - not that's a hate crime.

26 Jul 2017, 15:38
Metal Guru

Xerxes wrote:
Algebra's not even that nasty one. Try differential calculus - not that's a hate crime.

I made it to Calculus II before my goat-brain overheated and I said fuck this, I'm going to play video games.

26 Jul 2017, 18:18
Metal Guru

The Nefarious Öathgoat wrote:
Xerxes wrote:

I made it to Calculus II before my goat-brain overheated and I said fuck this, I'm going to play video games.

That shit is evil bananas.

Video games will always be tr00!

26 Jul 2017, 18:24
Metal Guru

Xerxes wrote:

Calc I was the highest I got to. Nowadays, I probably couldn't do anything more than basic algebra. All that knowledge gone from lack of use!

President Bagel wrote:
Seriously, chill out, everypony. It's not everyone else's fault you're still using a 14.4k modem.

26 Jul 2017, 20:43
Metal Guru

Shouldn't this be part of the "Objective Truth" thread.

Although I agree. It's absurd.

For one thing, traditionalists attack people for being good at math, not for being bad at it.

Xerxes wrote:
Try differential calculus - not that's a hate crime.

+1

27 Jul 2017, 15:03
Metal Guru

verbalsniper wrote:
Shouldn't this be part of the "Objective Truth" thread.

Completely missed it. :stupider:

27 Jul 2017, 17:59
Profile ICQ
Metal Guru

verbalsniper wrote:
Xerxes wrote:

+1

Differential calculus isn't as bad as Integral calculus. Christ on a stick, is that ever awful. I used to be really good at it, though.

28 Jul 2017, 13:54
Metal Guru

Somehow that doesn't surprise me.

I never made it to integral. But I am the type of dude to learn something like that in my thirties for no reason other than the satisfaction of understanding it.

28 Jul 2017, 13:59
Metal Guru

Well I learned differential & integral calculus back when I was 17-18, so there's no way in fucking hell I can remember any of it at 42.

28 Jul 2017, 19:19
Profile ICQ
Metal Guru

I never took calculus. Trigonometry was as much as I could handle.

28 Jul 2017, 19:24
Metal Guru

It's amazing how if you don't practice math, you really lose it.

Just for the hell of it I looked at some calculus problems I would've been able to solve 20 years ago. I didn't recognize any of it - it looked like it was all a bunch of Chinese writing or something.

29 Jul 2017, 01:14
Metal Guru

Blackjebus wrote:
It's amazing how if you don't practice math, you really lose it.

Just for the hell of it I looked at some calculus problems I would've been able to solve 20 years ago. I didn't recognize any of it - it looked like it was all a bunch of Chinese writing or something.

Totally.

There was a period of years when I took a break out of my software development career (2004-2008) and in one of my first jobs back in the field, it was a videogame-creating job, and the sinuses, cosinuses required to calculate balls' trajectories completely confused me. It was just basic trigonometry. I used to dominate that shit when I was 15.
The positive to this is that it made me realize videogame programming was not for me.

29 Jul 2017, 07:12
Profile ICQ
Metal Guru

That's where I'm at right now. I'm dipping my toes back into things like vector math and I'm surprised at how much trouble it's giving me.

Not to mention shader code, which is arcane on a good day. But that's a whole different barrel of monkeys.

29 Jul 2017, 07:16
Headbanger

OK. So I finally read both articles and I'm not seeing what the problem is aside from people not considering the source (I'm not sure I'd get my news from a site called "Red Alert Politics" that I'd otherwise never heard of).

The gist I'm getting is that math programs in America for a while now at the secondary and post-secondary level have been failing students. This is in part because some students from low income backgrounds (some of which happen to be minorities, since statistically people from low income backgrounds are likely to be minorities, this is a minute detail meant to distract from the actual crux of the issue) often don't have access to proper tutoring programs, and also in part due to the weaker content of the programs themselves, an ability to properly engage students, and whether or not algebra is relevant to their field of study.

The interview subject even goes on to say, several times, that...

Quote:
[. . .]"other math pathways” should be “actually relevant to the coursework that the student is pursuing.”

Quote:
[. . .] it should be relevant to their course of study.

et cetera. He even offers up an alternative....

Quote:
[I]f you think about it, you think about the use of statistics not only for a social science major but for every U.S. citizen,” Oakley said. “This is a skill that we should have all of our students have with them because this affects them in their daily life.

Of course someone in this thread will inevitably suggest that he's saying everyone should enroll in gender studies degrees so they can axe algebra, or something along those lines, so I'm preempting it for the strawman that it is. He's not saying that from what I can see.

This is far more effort than I originally intended to spend on this (just mentioning the harder access to tutoring services due to a gap in income, which should be a total "no duh", but for some reason isn't) and leaving it at that. There's far too many people in the world, and on this board that fall for this kind of reframing tactic, and lack any real reasoning skills that it can't be ignored. Nowhere in either article posted did I find an inkling that the very makeup of algebra is supposedly "racist".

Leave it to the Braveboard to throw all nuance to the wind, though.

29 Jul 2017, 11:57
Metal Guru

Xerxes wrote:

Calculus II (which is basically just a deep dive into integration) was where I saw a lot of people fail the class and eithr retake it the next quarter or change majors away from Engineering.

I wrapped up Calc III last quarter and I'm taking Differential Equations right now (so much fun). I have Calculus IV in the fall, which is the last math class I have to take for my degree. Multivariable calculus, bitches.

I'm kind of really enjoying it, though.

30 Jul 2017, 14:36
Metal Guru

I also used to be good at math, but today, I don;t think I could do long division if you asked me to.
Yay calculators? :oops:

30 Jul 2017, 15:32
Metal Guru

Made it all the way through Calculus. I struggle to do algebra at this point. Way to many weed. :)

30 Jul 2017, 19:42
Metal Guru

Big Metal Dude wrote:
I wrapped up Calc III last quarter and I'm taking Differential Equations right now (so much fun). I have Calculus IV in the fall, which is the last math class I have to take for my degree. Multivariable calculus, bitches.

The math clearly shows that you are the most racist person here.

30 Jul 2017, 22:06
Metal Guru

Blackjebus wrote:
Big Metal Dude wrote:

The math clearly shows that you are the most racist person here.

:)

31 Jul 2017, 13:26
Metal Guru

Blackjebus wrote:
verbalsniper wrote:
Xerxes wrote:

+1

Differential calculus isn't as bad as Integral calculus. Christ on a stick, is that ever awful. I used to be really good at it, though.

Integral calculus is where shit got real.

Burst Command Til War wrote:
You are never allowed in my house.

31 Jul 2017, 15:15
Profile ICQ WWW
Metal Guru

When writing that final calculus exam in the big gym one guy in the row next to me lost his fucking mind, stood up on his chair and screamed "I'M AN INTEGRAL!!!!" and made a big "s" shape with his arms and body. it was funnier than shit. He was pulled from the room, never to be seen again.

On the first day of the class where they added a second integral, I switched out of that class and took something else. I still stand by that decision.

31 Jul 2017, 17:34
Metal Guru

Post Re: The new SJW snowflake thread. Seven of Whine
Did anyone post this previously? Well if not, here it is...

Quote:
Is 'assimilate' offensive? Legal battle pits Star Trek fan against Indigenous activists

http://nationalpost.com/opinion/christie-blatchford-resistance-is-not-futile-when-it-comes-to-freedom-of-expression/wcm/87a5adf2-9b3f-47b1-810a-293e7c40bdf3

http://nationalpost.com/news/canada/lawsuit-calls-for-manitoba-to-return-asimil8-licence-plate-deemed-offensive-to-indigenous-people/wcm/6ef3aa61-549d-4f0d-b48d-90ffcae14f9f

http://nationalpost.com/news/canada/national-justice-centre-to-fight-to-star-trek-fans-asimil8-licence-plate/wcm/fb672512-a3ea-4ed1-a822-e63347b693c5

http://nationalpost.com/news/canada/winnipeg-star-trek-fan-has-licence-plate-asimil8-revoked-over-offensive-message/wcm/79f983f2-3504-4e97-aab7-cbd9530828ab

... some people just miss the fucking point.

02 Aug 2017, 15:25
Metal Guru

You could say they have some serious reservations about it.

02 Aug 2017, 15:43