It is currently 19 Sep 2018, 07:03



Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 763 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20 ... 31  Next
 The ROW thread 
Author Message
Metal Guru
User avatar

Joined: 30 Aug 2007, 15:41
Posts: 26804
Location: Edmonton, Alberta
Post Re: The ROW thread
I had posted such a great conversation starter, and you had to go and ruin it. :lol:

_________________
The True Fortress wrote:
As a true metalhead for almost 30 years, my patience for goofballs of your ilk has become dangerously low...You have no clue what heavy metal is and need to shoot yourself in the face.


09 Mar 2018, 15:48
Profile
Metal Guru
User avatar

Joined: 02 Apr 2002, 18:43
Posts: 8688
Location: Brisbane, Queensland
Post Re: The ROW thread
China officially ends term limits - http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-03-11/c ... ts/9537166

It took basically just 1 generation to undo the law that came in after Mao's reign of terror. One generation, that's it.

_________________
"My soul music isn't a style, genre or niche. It's music that is genuine. It's a painful lyric, a dirty bassline, it's a harrowing vocal, it's feedback, it's an anthem, it's a love song, it's anarchy."


11 Mar 2018, 05:43
Profile ICQ
Metal Guru
User avatar

Joined: 06 Apr 2007, 16:12
Posts: 39780
Location: Canada's Pacific Charnel Pit
Post Re: The ROW thread
More like 2 gens, but I wouldn't read too much into this.

There are 3 offices of power in China, and a leader must hold all 3 to really be China's undisputed leader:
- President of the People's Republic Of China is the least of these three (and that's the one with a term limit).
- Chairman of the Chinese Communist Party, makes one leader of the only political party in China, which is important in terms of controlling policy and officials (and choosing successors). Second most powerful position.
- Chairman of the Central Military Commission - This is the de facto most powerful of the leadership positions. Control of the army, militia, police, and intelligence services. Every leadership struggle since 1983 has really turned on who controls this body. Lacking control of the CMC is why Li Peng was never able to claim the big prize to become paramount leader.

Xi has all of these things well in hand, and his leadership seems unchallenged - in the open, anyway.

Chinese politics is extremely arcane, but leaders tend to be there as long as they wish unless conspirators push them out. This could simply be an message to potential successors that nobody is going to push him out.

_________________
"The truth is unpleasant and therefore unpopular."


11 Mar 2018, 15:08
Profile
Metal Guru
User avatar

Joined: 17 Apr 2004, 15:51
Posts: 63924
Post Re: The ROW thread
Even if he was replaced, only a fool would assume any real changes to Chinese policy would take effect.

_________________
We would reveal the only truth
We would make them really sorry
We would show them Sovereignty in true fashion
And then be a reflection of their loss


11 Mar 2018, 17:52
Profile
Metal Guru
User avatar

Joined: 06 Apr 2007, 16:12
Posts: 39780
Location: Canada's Pacific Charnel Pit
Post Re: The ROW thread
Saudis sold more arms by UK Conservative government, no questions asked:


Quote:
Saudi Arabia nears Typhoon jet deal with BAE

http://www.bbc.com/news/business-43347848

Quote:
‘Toxic, damaging & shameful’: Fury as UK and Saudi Arabia sign huge arms deal

https://www.rt.com/uk/420879-saudi-arms-deal-yemen/

Quote:
'Short of engaging in combat': UK has Al Saud's back in Yemen war

https://www.rt.com/op-ed/420893-uk-yemen-threat-war/


The UK seems only interested in disgracing itself yet again. Always on the wrong side.

_________________
"The truth is unpleasant and therefore unpopular."


Last edited by verbalsniper on 11 Mar 2018, 19:42, edited 1 time in total.



11 Mar 2018, 19:24
Profile
Metal Guru
User avatar

Joined: 06 Apr 2007, 16:12
Posts: 39780
Location: Canada's Pacific Charnel Pit
Post Re: The ROW thread
Sultan Erdogan upset at lack of support for his invasion of Syria:

https://www.rt.com/news/420956-turkey-nato-erdogan-syria/

Raises a good question though.
Is Turkey really a NATO country anymore?
Should they be one ?

_________________
"The truth is unpleasant and therefore unpopular."


11 Mar 2018, 19:27
Profile
Metal Guru
User avatar

Joined: 17 Apr 2004, 15:51
Posts: 63924
Post Re: The ROW thread
They're not, but they will continue to be included because one of the things NATO fears most in that region is a Turkish alliance with Russia.

_________________
We would reveal the only truth
We would make them really sorry
We would show them Sovereignty in true fashion
And then be a reflection of their loss


11 Mar 2018, 19:37
Profile
Metal Guru
User avatar

Joined: 06 Apr 2007, 16:12
Posts: 39780
Location: Canada's Pacific Charnel Pit
Post Re: The ROW thread
It also brings up a lot of Washington's slimy dealings with avowedly jihadi groups and governments, which makes it NATO policy by default.

Can you imagine a Canadian soldier in Syria or Iraq right now, being asked to fight ISIL but turn a blind eye to all the Al Qaida franchises, and those major powers who sponsor them all? Turkey has their bunch; Saudis and Qataris have others. Nobody even asks what Israel is up to, but they seem to patch up all the wounded jihadis who turn up in the Golan heights and protect them in their battle against Assad.

Middle East politics is all treachery, most of all from the great powers who step into an area from outside.

_________________
"The truth is unpleasant and therefore unpopular."


Last edited by verbalsniper on 13 Mar 2018, 14:11, edited 1 time in total.



11 Mar 2018, 19:50
Profile
Metal Guru
User avatar

Joined: 17 Apr 2004, 15:51
Posts: 63924
Post Re: The ROW thread
Japan had a single school stabbing attack in 2001 where eight children were killed. The national response was to train and arm teachers with the tools necessary to prevent further violence. The nation came together in response to an immediate need and there has not been another such attack in the 17 years that followed.

https://www.bullshido.net/forums/showthread.php?t=71327

http://www.mixedmartialarts.com/vault/v ... ent-weapon

Sasumata in action: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OUkA8BlfSNY

_________________
We would reveal the only truth
We would make them really sorry
We would show them Sovereignty in true fashion
And then be a reflection of their loss


12 Mar 2018, 22:23
Profile
Metal Guru

Joined: 20 Sep 2005, 19:44
Posts: 11962
Post Re: The ROW thread
Note that they didn't do something stupid like arm all the teachers with knives. :)


12 Mar 2018, 23:26
Profile
Metal Guru
User avatar

Joined: 02 Apr 2002, 18:43
Posts: 8688
Location: Brisbane, Queensland
Post Re: The ROW thread
thelostpatrol wrote:
Japan had a single school stabbing attack in 2001 where eight children were killed. The national response was to train and arm teachers with the tools necessary to prevent further violence. The nation came together in response to an immediate need and there has not been another such attack in the 17 years that followed.

https://www.bullshido.net/forums/showthread.php?t=71327

http://www.mixedmartialarts.com/vault/v ... ent-weapon

Sasumata in action: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OUkA8BlfSNY


As above, teachers weren't armed with knives.

And in Australia after Port Arthur, we enacted gun reforms and a huge amnesty that collected thousands if not millions of weapons and we haven't had a single mass shooting since.

So there's that...

_________________
"My soul music isn't a style, genre or niche. It's music that is genuine. It's a painful lyric, a dirty bassline, it's a harrowing vocal, it's feedback, it's an anthem, it's a love song, it's anarchy."


13 Mar 2018, 01:20
Profile ICQ
Metal Guru
User avatar

Joined: 17 Apr 2004, 15:51
Posts: 63924
Post Re: The ROW thread
xdisciplex wrote:
thelostpatrol wrote:
Japan had a single school stabbing attack in 2001 where eight children were killed. The national response was to train and arm teachers with the tools necessary to prevent further violence. The nation came together in response to an immediate need and there has not been another such attack in the 17 years that followed.

https://www.bullshido.net/forums/showthread.php?t=71327

http://www.mixedmartialarts.com/vault/v ... ent-weapon

Sasumata in action: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OUkA8BlfSNY


As above, teachers weren't armed with knives.

And in Australia after Port Arthur, we enacted gun reforms and a huge amnesty that collected thousands if not millions of weapons and we haven't had a single mass shooting since.

So there's that...


That... wasn't the point.

_________________
We would reveal the only truth
We would make them really sorry
We would show them Sovereignty in true fashion
And then be a reflection of their loss


13 Mar 2018, 09:35
Profile
Metal Guru
User avatar

Joined: 06 Apr 2007, 16:12
Posts: 39780
Location: Canada's Pacific Charnel Pit
Post Re: The ROW thread
thelostpatrol wrote:
Japan had a single school stabbing attack in 2001 where eight children were killed. The national response was to train and arm teachers with the tools necessary to prevent further violence. The nation came together in response to an immediate need and there has not been another such attack in the 17 years that followed.

https://www.bullshido.net/forums/showthread.php?t=71327

http://www.mixedmartialarts.com/vault/v ... ent-weapon

Sasumata in action: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OUkA8BlfSNY



Japan is an odd example to use for any pro-NRA argument.

Japan is the perfect example of a democratic modern state that does not allow any firearm-based shenanigans. They are not interested in indulging criminals and nutcases by giving the benefit of the doubt when it comes to weaponry.


Quote:
Even gangsters live in fear of Japan’s gun laws

It’s almost impossible to get to a gun in Japan, and selling one or owning one is a serious crime. Fire the gun? Possibly life imprisonment. Gun-control laws are taken so seriously that police will pursue a violator all the way to the grave — and maybe beyond.

The rationale for this is simple: “Of course, guns don’t kill people; people kill people — guns just make it a lot easier to kill a lot of people. That’s why Japan bans them and that’s why my job was catching people with guns and putting them in jail. Usually, long before they could ever put their finger on the trigger.”

Those are the words of a retired Kanto-region police detective with more than 25 years’ experience pursuing cases involving violations of the Firearms (& Swords) Control Law.

... Under current laws, if a low-level yakuza is caught with a gun and bullets that match, he’ll be charged with aggravated possession of firearms and will then face an average seven-year prison term. Simply firing a gun carries a penalty of three years to life. And for the “accomplice” reasons above, a yakuza boss may decide a death sentence is more appropriate if his thug miraculously gets released on bail before going to jail.

One mid-level yakuza boss told me, “Having a gun now is like having a time bomb. Do you think any sane person wants to keep one around the house?”

The police are not given a free hand in using guns either. Internal controls make it very difficult for a gun or even a single bullet to fall into the hands of criminals.



https://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/2013/01/06/national/media-national/even-gangsters-live-in-fear-of-japans-gun-laws/



Quote:
How Japan has almost eradicated gun crime

http://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-38365729

And that's how it should be.
Let the gangsters and terrorists live in fear, instead of the innocent citizenry.


Japan doesn't fuck around. They still believe in iron discipline and national cohesion. There's no "right" to do jeopardizes peace and order in the nation.

As it should be.

_________________
"The truth is unpleasant and therefore unpopular."


13 Mar 2018, 14:29
Profile
Metal Guru
User avatar

Joined: 02 Apr 2002, 18:43
Posts: 8688
Location: Brisbane, Queensland
Post Re: The ROW thread
thelostpatrol wrote:
That... wasn't the point.


So... what is the point? It's a terrible example.

_________________
"My soul music isn't a style, genre or niche. It's music that is genuine. It's a painful lyric, a dirty bassline, it's a harrowing vocal, it's feedback, it's an anthem, it's a love song, it's anarchy."


13 Mar 2018, 16:39
Profile ICQ
Metal Guru
User avatar

Joined: 17 Apr 2004, 15:51
Posts: 63924
Post Re: The ROW thread
My post was obviously about teachers being given the tools to protect students. It wasn't about guns, or the NRA. Stop injecting your nonsense into my statements. Both of you.

_________________
We would reveal the only truth
We would make them really sorry
We would show them Sovereignty in true fashion
And then be a reflection of their loss


13 Mar 2018, 17:48
Profile
Metal Guru
User avatar

Joined: 17 Apr 2004, 15:51
Posts: 63924
Post Re: The ROW thread
verbalsniper wrote:
thelostpatrol wrote:
Japan had a single school stabbing attack in 2001 where eight children were killed. The national response was to train and arm teachers with the tools necessary to prevent further violence. The nation came together in response to an immediate need and there has not been another such attack in the 17 years that followed.

https://www.bullshido.net/forums/showthread.php?t=71327

http://www.mixedmartialarts.com/vault/v ... ent-weapon

Sasumata in action: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OUkA8BlfSNY



Japan is an odd example to use for any pro-NRA argument.

Japan is the perfect example of a democratic modern state that does not allow any firearm-based shenanigans. They are not interested in indulging criminals and nutcases by giving the benefit of the doubt when it comes to weaponry.


Quote:
Even gangsters live in fear of Japan’s gun laws

It’s almost impossible to get to a gun in Japan, and selling one or owning one is a serious crime. Fire the gun? Possibly life imprisonment. Gun-control laws are taken so seriously that police will pursue a violator all the way to the grave — and maybe beyond.

The rationale for this is simple: “Of course, guns don’t kill people; people kill people — guns just make it a lot easier to kill a lot of people. That’s why Japan bans them and that’s why my job was catching people with guns and putting them in jail. Usually, long before they could ever put their finger on the trigger.”

Those are the words of a retired Kanto-region police detective with more than 25 years’ experience pursuing cases involving violations of the Firearms (& Swords) Control Law.

... Under current laws, if a low-level yakuza is caught with a gun and bullets that match, he’ll be charged with aggravated possession of firearms and will then face an average seven-year prison term. Simply firing a gun carries a penalty of three years to life. And for the “accomplice” reasons above, a yakuza boss may decide a death sentence is more appropriate if his thug miraculously gets released on bail before going to jail.

One mid-level yakuza boss told me, “Having a gun now is like having a time bomb. Do you think any sane person wants to keep one around the house?”

The police are not given a free hand in using guns either. Internal controls make it very difficult for a gun or even a single bullet to fall into the hands of criminals.



https://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/2013/01/06/national/media-national/even-gangsters-live-in-fear-of-japans-gun-laws/



Quote:
How Japan has almost eradicated gun crime

http://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-38365729

And that's how it should be.
Let the gangsters and terrorists live in fear, instead of the innocent citizenry.


Japan doesn't fuck around. They still believe in iron discipline and national cohesion. There's no "right" to do jeopardizes peace and order in the nation.

As it should be.


The best and most relevant part of your assertions was in your BBC link:

Quote:
This helps explain why mass shootings in Japan are extremely rare. When mass killings occur, the killer most often wields a knife.


...proving definitively that even the most draconian gun laws don't stop mass killings at all. Thanks for the link.

_________________
We would reveal the only truth
We would make them really sorry
We would show them Sovereignty in true fashion
And then be a reflection of their loss


13 Mar 2018, 17:51
Profile
Metal Guru
User avatar

Joined: 17 Apr 2004, 15:51
Posts: 63924
Post Re: The ROW thread
http://www.nationmaster.com/country-inf ... ates/Crime

More on how gun presence does not affect overall murder rate as much as gun-haters think: A comparison of the world's two most gun-heavy countries shows a staggering disparity in murders. The reasons? You tell me. It's certainly not draconian gun laws. Neither country has those.

BJ was right when he said the United States is high on crime overall compared to the rest of the Western world. Virtually all crime is higher in the US than in other Western countries if you compare side by side. To me, that's a sign of the staggering difference in culture and approach to life in general between the United States and the rest of the West.

_________________
We would reveal the only truth
We would make them really sorry
We would show them Sovereignty in true fashion
And then be a reflection of their loss


13 Mar 2018, 18:17
Profile
Metal Guru

Joined: 20 Sep 2005, 19:44
Posts: 11962
Post Re: The ROW thread
Do you even own a gun?


13 Mar 2018, 19:23
Profile
Metal Guru
User avatar

Joined: 02 Apr 2002, 18:43
Posts: 8688
Location: Brisbane, Queensland
Post Re: The ROW thread
thelostpatrol wrote:
My post was obviously about teachers being given the tools to protect students. It wasn't about guns, or the NRA. Stop injecting your nonsense into my statements. Both of you.


But guns are the tools Trump wants to give them.

China has knife attacks too, why don't they bring guns to the classroom?

And ultimately, how does anything Trump has said so far actually address or move to resolve the problem of people being so mentally unstable they think this is an option? The culture openly supports guns, Japan has a different culture as you've just pointed out. When is the US going to undertake a structured, meaningful change to the way it identifies as a nation?

Otherwise the shootings are just gonna keep on happening, and the proposed solution put kids in the crossfire and risks teachers having to live with the fact they shot and killed students. It doesn't address any of the other mass shootings either, outside of schools.

_________________
"My soul music isn't a style, genre or niche. It's music that is genuine. It's a painful lyric, a dirty bassline, it's a harrowing vocal, it's feedback, it's an anthem, it's a love song, it's anarchy."


13 Mar 2018, 20:44
Profile ICQ
Metal Guru
User avatar

Joined: 30 Aug 2007, 15:41
Posts: 26804
Location: Edmonton, Alberta
Post Re: The ROW thread
Rottenrocker wrote:
Do you even own a gun?


Lemme guess - you DON'T own a gun, and have never held, nor shot a gun, therefore nobody else should ever be able to either.

_________________
The True Fortress wrote:
As a true metalhead for almost 30 years, my patience for goofballs of your ilk has become dangerously low...You have no clue what heavy metal is and need to shoot yourself in the face.


13 Mar 2018, 20:55
Profile
Metal Guru

Joined: 20 Sep 2005, 19:44
Posts: 11962
Post Re: The ROW thread
Blackjebus wrote:
Rottenrocker wrote:
Do you even own a gun?


Lemme guess - you DON'T own a gun, and have never held, nor shot a gun, therefore nobody else should ever be able to either.


Why would I? I'm not weak minded enough to buy into having a device whose sole purpose to kill is a good idea to have in my home.

"Self defense" is not an excuse.


13 Mar 2018, 21:17
Profile
Metal Guru
User avatar

Joined: 17 Apr 2004, 15:51
Posts: 63924
Post Re: The ROW thread
xdisciplex wrote:
thelostpatrol wrote:
My post was obviously about teachers being given the tools to protect students. It wasn't about guns, or the NRA. Stop injecting your nonsense into my statements. Both of you.


But guns are the tools Trump wants to give them.

China has knife attacks too, why don't they bring guns to the classroom?


I previously said I disagreed with arming teachers with guns. I do however believe that teachers could be trained in defending against shooters in other ways. This can be done on an opt-in basis to help minimize casualties but not add stress to people if they don't want to participate. And I do also agree with those who say that there could be armed security in schools. There already is in many private schools around the world. It'd be a great way to give jobs to some long-ignored veterans too. Two birds one stone in that instance.

_________________
We would reveal the only truth
We would make them really sorry
We would show them Sovereignty in true fashion
And then be a reflection of their loss


13 Mar 2018, 21:21
Profile
Metal Guru
User avatar

Joined: 17 Apr 2004, 15:51
Posts: 63924
Post Re: The ROW thread
Blackjebus wrote:
Rottenrocker wrote:
Do you even own a gun?


Lemme guess - you DON'T own a gun, and have never held, nor shot a gun, therefore nobody else should ever be able to either.


Heh.

_________________
We would reveal the only truth
We would make them really sorry
We would show them Sovereignty in true fashion
And then be a reflection of their loss


13 Mar 2018, 21:21
Profile
Metal Guru

Joined: 20 Sep 2005, 19:44
Posts: 11962
Post Re: The ROW thread
thelostpatrol wrote:
Blackjebus wrote:
Rottenrocker wrote:
Do you even own a gun?


Lemme guess - you DON'T own a gun, and have never held, nor shot a gun, therefore nobody else should ever be able to either.


Heh.


So? Do you own a gun or not? Simple question.

Of course you didn't quote my response. Wouldn't want to disrupt your pro-gun narrative now would we? :)


13 Mar 2018, 21:22
Profile
Metal Guru
User avatar

Joined: 02 Apr 2002, 18:43
Posts: 8688
Location: Brisbane, Queensland
Post Re: The ROW thread
Blatantly racist Australian minister responsible for immigration is now considering fast tracked refugee status approvals for white South African farmers. The same minister who has sent countless Rohingyans back to Myanmar and Tamils back to Sri Lanka, and just had his department raid a family home at 5am to arrest a Tamil family who were just denied refugee status.

South Africa story - https://www.theguardian.com/australia-n ... an-farmers

Tamil story - http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-03-14/b ... on/9544860

Peter Dutton is the ultimate cunt of Aussie politics and this is blatant racism, without a doubt. He complained about population growth and migrants not going out to rural communities, then turns around and goes after a Tamil family living in a rural community... :byhatw:

_________________
"My soul music isn't a style, genre or niche. It's music that is genuine. It's a painful lyric, a dirty bassline, it's a harrowing vocal, it's feedback, it's an anthem, it's a love song, it's anarchy."


14 Mar 2018, 05:41
Profile ICQ
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 763 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20 ... 31  Next


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Jump to:  


Google
 
Web www.bravewords.com

Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group.
Designed by Vjacheslav Trushkin for Free Forums/DivisionCore.