It is currently 27 May 2018, 16:13



Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 447 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16 ... 18  Next
 The orwellian world of the tech giants 
Author Message
Metal Guru
User avatar

Joined: 19 Mar 2007, 11:29
Posts: 39800
Location: off somewhere fighting the world
Post Re: The orwellian world of the tech giants
Blasphomet wrote:
phencyclidine wrote:
Image


Was this popular down there? Lol.

sadly, yes

_________________
I steal and kill to stay alive, not for the luxury of glory.

Big Metal Dude wrote:
fālsëpøsê.

Rocky Dennis wrote:
Manowar calls, you fucking answer. No excuses, no regrets. Hail and Kill.


11 Feb 2018, 18:10
Profile
Metal Guru
User avatar

Joined: 24 Feb 2011, 14:26
Posts: 45508
Location: North Haverbrook
Post Re: The orwellian world of the tech giants
deathstalker wrote:
Blasphomet wrote:
phencyclidine wrote:
Image


Was this popular down there? Lol.

sadly, yes


You're welcome.


11 Feb 2018, 19:12
Profile
Metal Guru
User avatar

Joined: 06 Apr 2007, 16:12
Posts: 38950
Location: Canada's Pacific Charnel Pit
Post Re: The orwellian world of the tech giants
The cryptocurrency craze has all sort of people using dirty methods to steal computing power to "mine" it.


Quote:
Hackers hijack government websites to mine crypto-cash


http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-43025788



Quote:
Salon magazine mines crypto-cash with readers' PCs


http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-43053783

:crazy:

_________________
"The truth is unpleasant and therefore unpopular."


14 Feb 2018, 03:30
Profile
Metal Guru
User avatar

Joined: 09 Mar 2002, 21:00
Posts: 72773
Location: Ogdenville
Post Re: The orwellian world of the tech giants
verbalsniper wrote:
Quote:
Salon magazine mines crypto-cash with readers' PCs


http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-43053783

:crazy:


That's what you fucking get for reading Salon.

_________________
Blackjebus wrote:
Yeah, once you have AIDS you don't have to worry about AIDS anymore. Instead you have to worry about colds.


14 Feb 2018, 09:29
Profile
Metal Guru
User avatar

Joined: 12 Dec 2004, 08:29
Posts: 19648
Location: nj
Post Re: The orwellian world of the tech giants
pretty brilliant.

_________________
did that butter churn just move? cause if it did.....


14 Feb 2018, 10:31
Profile
Metal Guru
User avatar

Joined: 30 Aug 2007, 15:41
Posts: 26272
Location: Edmonton, Alberta
Post Re: The orwellian world of the tech giants
verbalsniper wrote:
The cryptocurrency craze has all sort of people using dirty methods to steal computing power to "mine" it.


Since natural gas prices are so low here, there are companies in Alberta starting up who are burning gas to generate electricity to mine and sell cryptocurrencies.

_________________
The True Fortress wrote:
As a true metalhead for almost 30 years, my patience for goofballs of your ilk has become dangerously low...You have no clue what heavy metal is and need to shoot yourself in the face.


14 Feb 2018, 12:13
Profile
Metal Guru
User avatar

Joined: 06 Apr 2007, 16:12
Posts: 38950
Location: Canada's Pacific Charnel Pit
Post Re: The orwellian world of the tech giants
Blackjebus wrote:
verbalsniper wrote:
The cryptocurrency craze has all sort of people using dirty methods to steal computing power to "mine" it.


Since natural gas prices are so low here, there are companies in Alberta starting up who are burning gas to generate electricity to mine and sell cryptocurrencies.



Yeah, I think I posted on that like 2 weeks ago. It's so fucked up. Pure speculation driving people nuts. A cyber ponzi scheme.

They all imagine it will rise forever, when is that ever a good omen in any market ? When that shit crashes, then what will they have? Jack shit, having done that all to generate a big nothing.

Next there will be shady evangelists who are soliciting donations from their flock just so they can mine bitcoin for themselves.

_________________
"The truth is unpleasant and therefore unpopular."


15 Feb 2018, 15:45
Profile
Metal Guru
User avatar

Joined: 24 Feb 2011, 14:26
Posts: 45508
Location: North Haverbrook
Post Re: The orwellian world of the tech giants
*moved to the tech thread. Probably more fitting. And gives it a bump. Not sure how 'Orwellian' it is.


16 Feb 2018, 11:30
Profile
Metal Guru
User avatar

Joined: 05 Nov 2005, 15:09
Posts: 13111
Post Re: The orwellian world of the tech giants
Exorcist wrote:
verbalsniper wrote:
Quote:
Salon magazine mines crypto-cash with readers' PCs


http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-43053783

:crazy:


That's what you fucking get for reading Salon.



Who reads Salon anyway :lol: That's why they need others to mine their cryptos, because they don't earn any more money :roll:


17 Feb 2018, 05:56
Profile
Metal Guru
User avatar

Joined: 05 Nov 2005, 15:09
Posts: 13111
Post Re: The orwellian world of the tech giants
George Soros To EU: Fight Populism, Regulate Social Media
https://www.zerohedge.com/news/2018-02- ... cial-media


Apple Employees Keep Walking Into Plate Glass At Company's 'Spaceship' Campus
https://www.zerohedge.com/news/2018-02- ... hip-campus


17 Feb 2018, 17:38
Profile
Metal Guru
User avatar

Joined: 09 Mar 2002, 21:00
Posts: 72773
Location: Ogdenville
Post Re: The orwellian world of the tech giants
Domsen wrote:
Exorcist wrote:
verbalsniper wrote:
Quote:
Salon magazine mines crypto-cash with readers' PCs


http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-43053783

:crazy:


That's what you fucking get for reading Salon.



Who reads Salon anyway :lol: That's why they need others to mine their cryptos, because they don't earn any more money :roll:


Oh they've got an audience, don't fool yourself. I just think they're generally pretty piss poor in terms of journalism. It feels more like a blog than a news site. That can be said for quite a lot of the internet, though, so they're not really unique in that regard.

_________________
Blackjebus wrote:
Yeah, once you have AIDS you don't have to worry about AIDS anymore. Instead you have to worry about colds.


18 Feb 2018, 11:04
Profile
Metal Guru
User avatar

Joined: 30 Aug 2007, 15:41
Posts: 26272
Location: Edmonton, Alberta
Post Re: The orwellian world of the tech giants
Journalism as a whole is circling the drain. They don't investigate anything anymore. Rushing to get things published quickly is more important that checking to see if they are correct first. Headlines need to get clicks for advertising revenue, so the more sensationalist and attention-grabbing they are, the "better" the article.

We are living in a world with a huge information gap right now, and I think too few people really realize it.

_________________
The True Fortress wrote:
As a true metalhead for almost 30 years, my patience for goofballs of your ilk has become dangerously low...You have no clue what heavy metal is and need to shoot yourself in the face.


18 Feb 2018, 11:21
Profile
Metal Guru
User avatar

Joined: 09 Mar 2002, 21:00
Posts: 72773
Location: Ogdenville
Post Re: The orwellian world of the tech giants
Blackjebus wrote:
Journalism as a whole is circling the drain. They don't investigate anything anymore. Rushing to get things published quickly is more important that checking to see if they are correct first. Headlines need to get clicks for advertising revenue, so the more sensationalist and attention-grabbing they are, the "better" the article.

We are living in a world with a huge information gap right now, and I think too few people really realize it.


That's a big, big problem for sure. The 24/7 news cycle that networks like CNN and Fox News started was bad enough, but the internet's popularity explosion really exasperated the issue. Everybody wants to be first, to get the ad revenue and to continue to be able to pay the bills, journalistic ethics be damned.

Then you factor in a public who gets their "facts" from fucking memes that are complete bullshit most times anyways, never bothering to fact check anything so long as they like what the meme is saying.

The open access to information on the internet is incredibly valuable. The deluge of absolute horseshit that it's unleashed, however, is something that there isn't any going back from.

_________________
Blackjebus wrote:
Yeah, once you have AIDS you don't have to worry about AIDS anymore. Instead you have to worry about colds.


18 Feb 2018, 11:42
Profile
Metal Guru
User avatar

Joined: 06 Apr 2007, 16:12
Posts: 38950
Location: Canada's Pacific Charnel Pit
Post Re: The orwellian world of the tech giants
Exorcist wrote:
Blackjebus wrote:
Journalism as a whole is circling the drain. They don't investigate anything anymore. Rushing to get things published quickly is more important that checking to see if they are correct first. Headlines need to get clicks for advertising revenue, so the more sensationalist and attention-grabbing they are, the "better" the article.

We are living in a world with a huge information gap right now, and I think too few people really realize it.


That's a big, big problem for sure. The 24/7 news cycle that networks like CNN and Fox News started was bad enough, but the internet's popularity explosion really exasperated the issue. Everybody wants to be first, to get the ad revenue and to continue to be able to pay the bills, journalistic ethics be damned.

Then you factor in a public who gets their "facts" from fucking memes that are complete bullshit most times anyways, never bothering to fact check anything so long as they like what the meme is saying.

The open access to information on the internet is incredibly valuable. The deluge of absolute horseshit that it's unleashed, however, is something that there isn't any going back from.



Yeah, and they all go on to complain about "fake news", as if it isn't them. The bloggers aren't getting better, the pros are getting worse.

"Here's the story our owners say we're going to spin, now go out there and cherry pick some unsourced info out of context, to make it fit."


And to top it off, there constant are announcements that the media companies keep laying off more editors, directors, and so on - all the "make sure that shit isn't fucked up" people.

In today's paper, the stats guys and writers had a couple of discrepancies, clearly not looking at each others' work at all. Or even their own. (A guy is American, or is he Czech? China has 5 medals ... or zero?)

_________________
"The truth is unpleasant and therefore unpopular."


18 Feb 2018, 14:40
Profile
Metal Guru
User avatar

Joined: 02 Apr 2002, 18:43
Posts: 8312
Location: Brisbane, Queensland
Post Re: The orwellian world of the tech giants
Blackjebus wrote:
Journalism as a whole is circling the drain. They don't investigate anything anymore. Rushing to get things published quickly is more important that checking to see if they are correct first. Headlines need to get clicks for advertising revenue, so the more sensationalist and attention-grabbing they are, the "better" the article.


And look, let's face it. If you get it right, politicians will intervene and get your article pulled with some lame bullshit excuse. Like they did here last week - https://www.theguardian.com/media/2018/ ... m-turnbull

:duh:

_________________
"My soul music isn't a style, genre or niche. It's music that is genuine. It's a painful lyric, a dirty bassline, it's a harrowing vocal, it's feedback, it's an anthem, it's a love song, it's anarchy."


18 Feb 2018, 16:37
Profile ICQ
Metal Guru
User avatar

Joined: 17 Apr 2004, 15:51
Posts: 63092
Post Re: The orwellian world of the tech giants
xdisciplex wrote:
Blackjebus wrote:
Journalism as a whole is circling the drain. They don't investigate anything anymore. Rushing to get things published quickly is more important that checking to see if they are correct first. Headlines need to get clicks for advertising revenue, so the more sensationalist and attention-grabbing they are, the "better" the article.


And look, let's face it. If you get it right, politicians will intervene and get your article pulled with some lame bullshit excuse. Like they did here last week - https://www.theguardian.com/media/2018/ ... m-turnbull

:duh:


That's shameful.

_________________
We would reveal the only truth
We would make them really sorry
We would show them Sovereignty in true fashion
And then be a reflection of their loss


18 Feb 2018, 16:46
Profile
Metal Guru
User avatar

Joined: 02 Apr 2002, 18:43
Posts: 8312
Location: Brisbane, Queensland
Post Re: The orwellian world of the tech giants
https://www.theverge.com/2017/12/11/167 ... rt-society

Chamath Palihapitiya, former vice president for user growth, slams what Facebook is.

Quote:
He says he tries to use Facebook as little as possible, and that his children “aren’t allowed to use that shit.”


Sean Parker also unleashed last year - https://www.axios.com/sean-parker-unloa ... c2671.html

_________________
"My soul music isn't a style, genre or niche. It's music that is genuine. It's a painful lyric, a dirty bassline, it's a harrowing vocal, it's feedback, it's an anthem, it's a love song, it's anarchy."


24 Feb 2018, 18:25
Profile ICQ
Metal Guru
User avatar

Joined: 17 Apr 2004, 15:51
Posts: 63092
Post Re: The orwellian world of the tech giants
https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2018/03/ ... -pictures/

Facebook asks users if they think it's okay to allow requests for child pornography from minors in survey

Yikes.

_________________
We would reveal the only truth
We would make them really sorry
We would show them Sovereignty in true fashion
And then be a reflection of their loss


05 Mar 2018, 22:17
Profile
Metal Guru
User avatar

Joined: 20 Sep 2005, 19:44
Posts: 11626
Location: Not too Alt-Bright
Post Re: The orwellian world of the tech giants
Facebook trying to crack that elusive NAMBLA demographic I see. Blargh.


05 Mar 2018, 23:03
Profile
Metal Guru
User avatar

Joined: 05 Nov 2005, 15:09
Posts: 13111
Post Re: The orwellian world of the tech giants
"Private Sector Stasi" - Should Facebook, Google, And Twitter Be Public Utilities?
https://www.zerohedge.com/news/2018-03- ... -utilities


07 Mar 2018, 08:24
Profile
Metal Guru
User avatar

Joined: 06 Apr 2007, 16:12
Posts: 38950
Location: Canada's Pacific Charnel Pit
Post Re: The orwellian world of the tech giants
Domsen wrote:
"Private Sector Stasi" - Should Facebook, Google, And Twitter Be Public Utilities?
https://www.zerohedge.com/news/2018-03- ... -utilities



A simple +1 would have sufficed. :)

viewtopic.php?f=13&t=154186&p=3569966&hilit=stasi#p3569966

_________________
"The truth is unpleasant and therefore unpopular."


07 Mar 2018, 16:58
Profile
Metal Guru
User avatar

Joined: 02 Apr 2002, 18:43
Posts: 8312
Location: Brisbane, Queensland
Post Re: The orwellian world of the tech giants
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-03-09/y ... rt/9510368

Quote:
If that smart new home device in your bedroom is voice activated, then it's always listening.

That also means it's probably often recording, and sending information to the cloud.

So what happens when a judge or prosecutor thinks some of those recordings might be pertinent to a case?

Or perhaps they want to check information from your Fitbit to see if you were near a crime scene?

It might sound dramatic, but experts believe data collected from our devices will increasingly find its way into Australian courts.

_________________
"My soul music isn't a style, genre or niche. It's music that is genuine. It's a painful lyric, a dirty bassline, it's a harrowing vocal, it's feedback, it's an anthem, it's a love song, it's anarchy."


08 Mar 2018, 19:59
Profile ICQ
Metal Guru
User avatar

Joined: 05 Nov 2005, 15:09
Posts: 13111
Post Re: The orwellian world of the tech giants
The Latest Bezos Casualty: Claire's To File For Bankruptcy
https://www.zerohedge.com/news/2018-03- ... bankruptcy
Toys "R" Us Preparing To Liquidate
https://www.zerohedge.com/news/2018-03- ... -liquidate



New tech... Those FANG companies are doing so great to others...


Hey Google! Who Should The US Government Kill Today?
https://www.zerohedge.com/news/2018-03- ... kill-today


09 Mar 2018, 09:00
Profile
Metal Guru
User avatar

Joined: 06 Apr 2007, 16:12
Posts: 38950
Location: Canada's Pacific Charnel Pit
Post Re: The orwellian world of the tech giants
Domsen wrote:
The Latest Bezos Casualty: Claire's To File For Bankruptcy
https://www.zerohedge.com/news/2018-03- ... bankruptcy
Toys "R" Us Preparing To Liquidate
https://www.zerohedge.com/news/2018-03- ... -liquidate


Yeah, Toys R US worldwide is in trouble. Apparently, the corporate raiding firm KKR managed to load them up with massive debts (I don't know why), and now they are snuffing out their brand country by country. Like Sears, I suppose.

Claires? Who cares. They peddle toxic jewelry to tween girls, so I cannot feel too sorry for them. Then again, the girls will still get the same cheap & toxic Chinese costume jewelry, only now they'll order it online with little or no quality control.

Progress?


Domsen wrote:
Hey Google! Who Should The US Government Kill Today?
https://www.zerohedge.com/news/2018-03- ... kill-today



Ah, more important:
Google and Twitter and Facebook - helping send a drone attack towards anyone who denounces the Deep State and its record of ... well, its record of doing things just like this.

_________________
"The truth is unpleasant and therefore unpopular."


09 Mar 2018, 15:00
Profile
Metal Guru
User avatar

Joined: 05 Nov 2005, 15:09
Posts: 13111
Post Re: The orwellian world of the tech giants
verbalsniper wrote:


Domsen wrote:
Hey Google! Who Should The US Government Kill Today?
https://www.zerohedge.com/news/2018-03- ... kill-today



Ah, more important:
Google and Twitter and Facebook - helping send a drone attack towards anyone who denounces the Deep State and its record of ... well, its record of doing things just like this.




All the FANG companies are Skynet. No doubt.


10 Mar 2018, 07:53
Profile
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 447 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16 ... 18  Next


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: deathstalker and 6 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Jump to:  


Google
 
Web www.bravewords.com

Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group.
Designed by Vjacheslav Trushkin for Free Forums/DivisionCore.