It is currently 20 Jul 2018, 00:11

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 467 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 ... 19  Next
 The orwellian world of the tech giants 
Metal Guru

Post Re: The orwellian world of the tech giants
Yeah that shows with Jobs because Apple didn't appear on the PRISM list until after his death and a year had passed.

"My soul music isn't a style, genre or niche. It's music that is genuine. It's a painful lyric, a dirty bassline, it's a harrowing vocal, it's feedback, it's an anthem, it's a love song, it's anarchy."

13 Jan 2018, 01:01
Profile ICQ
Metal Guru

i appreciate the total data protection with apple as well. may be unfortunate at times but worth it in the long run.

13 Jan 2018, 10:45
Metal Guru

thelostpatrol wrote:
I have always liked Apple's dedication to protecting customer data at any cost. It's currently the number one reason to purchase any Apple product over anything else.

Do you see a connection with the way that people dog-piled onto Blackberry, and the way it happened to have better encryption and privacy for its users (not to mention not being headquartered in the USA)? I always found it odd, that the "aesthetic" / fashionable slagging of BB went hand-in-hand with efforts by many intelligence agencies to throw roadblocks and legal challenges at them. Could be coincidence, but the low-rating of them in the tech media seemed somewhat arbitrary.

It's a moot point now, in any case, since the combination of these things wrecked BB as a device-making business. But with what scant "competition" is left, I don't see how Apple is any more or less guilty of invading its users' privacy (or just allowing it to be invaded) than Google/Android. If they are not letting the government delve too deep, they do it themselves, essentially running privatized intelligence agencies that make phones to basically entice people into letting themselves be spied on.

16 Jan 2018, 14:40
Metal Guru

This is truely orwellian:

Facebook To Start Ranking News Sources, Promote Only The "Most Trustworthy"
https://www.zerohedge.com/news/2018-01- ... rustworthy

20 Jan 2018, 04:29
Metal Guru

Zerohedge probably first on the chopping block though eh?

"My soul music isn't a style, genre or niche. It's music that is genuine. It's a painful lyric, a dirty bassline, it's a harrowing vocal, it's feedback, it's an anthem, it's a love song, it's anarchy."

20 Jan 2018, 06:23
Profile ICQ
Metal Guru

22 Jan 2018, 19:29
Metal Guru

verbalsniper wrote:
thelostpatrol wrote:
I have always liked Apple's dedication to protecting customer data at any cost. It's currently the number one reason to purchase any Apple product over anything else.

Do you see a connection with the way that people dog-piled onto Blackberry, and the way it happened to have better encryption and privacy for its users (not to mention not being headquartered in the USA)? I always found it odd, that the "aesthetic" / fashionable slagging of BB went hand-in-hand with efforts by many intelligence agencies to throw roadblocks and legal challenges at them. Could be coincidence, but the low-rating of them in the tech media seemed somewhat arbitrary.

It's a moot point now, in any case, since the combination of these things wrecked BB as a device-making business. But with what scant "competition" is left, I don't see how Apple is any more or less guilty of invading its users' privacy (or just allowing it to be invaded) than Google/Android. If they are not letting the government delve too deep, they do it themselves, essentially running privatized intelligence agencies that make phones to basically entice people into letting themselves be spied on.

Why are they not less guilty? They've been leading anti-government snooping efforts as far as Silicon Valley goes.

And then be a reflection of their loss

22 Jan 2018, 22:16
Metal Guru

Qualcomm Slapped With €1 Billion EU Fine For Secret Agreement With Apple
https://www.zerohedge.com/news/2018-01- ... -euro-fine

Apple has some good karma right now :lol:

24 Jan 2018, 08:20
Metal Guru

AI Censorship And The Power Of 'Steem' To Preserve Truth
https://www.zerohedge.com/news/2018-01- ... erve-truth

Google Suspends Publisher Fact-Checking After Accusations Of Discrimination
https://www.zerohedge.com/news/2018-01- ... er-feature

Facebook Chief Marketing Officer Resigns "To Help Democratic Party Win Midterms"
https://www.zerohedge.com/news/2018-01- ... n-midterms

24 Jan 2018, 08:22
Metal Guru

thelostpatrol wrote:
verbalsniper wrote:
thelostpatrol wrote:

Why are they not less guilty? They've been leading anti-government snooping efforts as far as Silicon Valley goes.

Remember when everyone talked about how Windows machines always got viruses through backdoors and vulnerability in their programming, but Mac computers never did? With the way governments and intelligence agencies work with these companies we are starting to see why that was the case.

It also blows me away seeing people advocating for things like cars automatically navigated and driven by companies like Google and shit. We should NEVER trust these corporations.

24 Jan 2018, 12:25
Metal Guru

Same. Relinquishing control of something that could kill you if used improperly is not a good idea.

24 Jan 2018, 14:32
Metal Guru

Blackjebus wrote:

Remember when everyone talked about how Windows machines always got viruses through backdoors and vulnerability in their programming, but Mac computers never did? With the way governments and intelligence agencies work with these companies we are starting to see why that was the case.

It also blows me away seeing people advocating for things like cars automatically navigated and driven by companies like Google and shit. We should NEVER trust these corporations.

What I remember at the time was the actual experts' opinions, namely that the main reason Macs (and Linux safer still) were safer is that that fewer viruses were being coded to affect those systems, since they were not as widespread. Basically, criminal hackers were opportunists who usually couldn't be bothered. (Intelligence agencies, on the other hand, never want to leave anything beyond their reach.)

But yeah, I laugh how people just think it's great that they will have cars drive for them (and record interactions with every vehicle and building they pass by), Google or Amazon devices in their home listening or viewing what goes on in there, and recording all they do "for consumer convenience".

Sell their privacy so they don't have to flip the lights on by hand anymore? That's like selling your soul for a donut, for real.

25 Jan 2018, 15:07
Metal Guru

and then you end up looking like this

Malevolent_Croatian wrote:
half the time it feels like he's setting the mood to sell me a persian rug.

25 Jan 2018, 15:53
Metal Guru

^^^ :lol: :cry: :lol:

25 Jan 2018, 19:38
Metal Guru

Soros talks about the giants of the web, including Facebook and Google, at the Davos forum. And he's not wrong. https://www.theguardian.com/business/20 ... to-society

Quote:
This is particularly nefarious because social media companies influence how people think and behave without them even being aware of it. This has far-reaching adverse consequences on the functioning of democracy, particularly on the integrity of elections.

We already know Facebook conducted a study on over 700,000 to shape their emotion and mood, and were able to pursuade people to be unhappy simply by changing their feed. And we know that algorithms create filter bubbles and prevent people from seeing the whole picture, they are being artificially limited by technology from being exposed to alternate ideas and facts.

Quote:
Soros warned of an “even more alarming prospect” on the horizon if data-rich internet companies such as Facebook and Google paired their corporate surveillance systems with state-sponsored surveillance – a trend that’s already emerging in places such as the Philippines.

And we've already seen this in the US with Snowden's leaks, with the US surveillance agencies piggy backing on the vast swathes of data these internet behemoths swallow up. You don't need to travel to the Philippines to see it happening.

25 Jan 2018, 20:22
Profile ICQ
Metal Guru

verbalsniper wrote:
Blackjebus wrote:

What I remember at the time was the actual experts' opinions, namely that the main reason Macs (and Linux safer still) were safer is that that fewer viruses were being coded to affect those systems, since they were not as widespread. Basically, criminal hackers were opportunists who usually couldn't be bothered. (Intelligence agencies, on the other hand, never want to leave anything beyond their reach.)

But yeah, I laugh how people just think it's great that they will have cars drive for them (and record interactions with every vehicle and building they pass by), Google or Amazon devices in their home listening or viewing what goes on in there, and recording all they do "for consumer convenience".

Sell their privacy so they don't have to flip the lights on by hand anymore? That's like selling your soul for a donut, for real.

Macs are safer because of the fact that they run UNIX, not because of abovementioned expert opinions on how many viruses are coded. The way that programs are run, how they are sandboxed away from critical areas of the OS, and the amount of protections that UNIX offers to end users is vastly superior to what is offered on NT-based systems as a general rule.

25 Jan 2018, 23:56
Metal Guru

xdisciplex wrote:
Soros talks about the giants of the web, including Facebook and Google, at the Davos forum. And he's not wrong. https://www.theguardian.com/business/20 ... to-society

Quote:
This is particularly nefarious because social media companies influence how people think and behave without them even being aware of it. This has far-reaching adverse consequences on the functioning of democracy, particularly on the integrity of elections.

We already know Facebook conducted a study on over 700,000 to shape their emotion and mood, and were able to pursuade people to be unhappy simply by changing their feed. And we know that algorithms create filter bubbles and prevent people from seeing the whole picture, they are being artificially limited by technology from being exposed to alternate ideas and facts.

Quote:
Soros warned of an “even more alarming prospect” on the horizon if data-rich internet companies such as Facebook and Google paired their corporate surveillance systems with state-sponsored surveillance – a trend that’s already emerging in places such as the Philippines.

And we've already seen this in the US with Snowden's leaks, with the US surveillance agencies piggy backing on the vast swathes of data these internet behemoths swallow up. You don't need to travel to the Philippines to see it happening.

Soros is afraid that the data will be used against his aims. He's not worried that the US is doing it just as much because that case is in line with his agenda.

25 Jan 2018, 23:57
Metal Guru

xdisciplex wrote:

Quote:

So it's just exactly like all other forms of media (books, TV, news, movies, etc.)

The only thing that control freaks like Soros hate about the internet and social media is that he cannot control the messages in it.

26 Jan 2018, 00:03
Metal Guru

This is why it's particularly disconcerting when you see government and corporations align on matters like net neutrality. Neither one is your friend, neither one stands to gain from you having access to alternative sources of information.

26 Jan 2018, 00:06
Metal Guru

Blackjebus wrote:
xdisciplex wrote:

Quote:

So it's just exactly like all other forms of media (books, TV, news, movies, etc.)

The only thing that control freaks like Soros hate about the internet and social media is that he cannot control the messages in it.

Except none of those other forms of media have algorithms that directly control what you see and how it influences you, you have far more control. Honestly, read up on how the algorithms and filter bubbles work before making such comments.

26 Jan 2018, 01:16
Profile ICQ
Metal Guru

xdisciplex wrote:
Except none of those other forms of media have algorithms that directly control what you see and how it influences you, you have far more control.

Uh, no you don't. With the internet you can seek whatever knowledge you want.

Everything that is presented on TV, newspapers, movies, magazines, etc. is pre-chosen. But you can search and find whatever you want on YouTube.

26 Jan 2018, 10:15
Metal Guru

thelostpatrol wrote:
xdisciplex wrote:

Quote:

Quote:

Soros is afraid that the data will be used against his aims. He's not worried that the US is doing it just as much because that case is in line with his agenda.

+1 Hearing Soros talk about someone improperly influencing politics in other nations is a laugh.
He just doesn't like competition.

26 Jan 2018, 15:02
Metal Guru

Blackjebus wrote:
xdisciplex wrote:
Except none of those other forms of media have algorithms that directly control what you see and how it influences you, you have far more control.

Unless they kill of net neutrality. Then your potential sources are artificially restricted.

26 Jan 2018, 15:03
Metal Guru

Blackjebus wrote:
xdisciplex wrote:

Everything that is presented on TV, newspapers, movies, magazines, etc. is pre-chosen. But you can search and find whatever you want on YouTube.

Not with Google or Facebook dude. Come up with a variety of things you want to search Google for. Send that list to 5 random people. You will not get the same results.

Like I said, look into these things first instead of commenting like a dumbass.

26 Jan 2018, 18:00
Profile ICQ
Metal Guru

There is a lot on offer beyond Google and Facebook.

27 Jan 2018, 12:27
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 467 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 ... 19  Next