It is currently 20 Nov 2017, 00:49

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 692 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 24, 25, 26, 27, 28
 Stop Whining!: Arny in an Action Comedy Edition. 
Metal Guru

Post Re: Stop Whining!: Arny in an Action Comedy Edition.
Rook , you still chasing the dream? Or just for exercise and fun? I should know this.

14 Nov 2017, 14:15
Metal Guru

Rook wrote:
I like how youtube now interrupts videos to play fucking ads :byhatw:

What the pustulent fuck ?

Are they actively trying to drive away every customer they have ?

14 Nov 2017, 15:32
Metal Guru

Rock, you mean playing hockey? god no :lol: I played for my high school team but that was it, never at any serious level and after high school I pretty much stopped for a few years. I'm back up to playing 3-5 nights a week but it's for fun at my own expense.

plus if I was playing at any serious level I'd be spending 350-400 bucks per stick :lol:

Malevolent_Croatian wrote:
half the time it feels like he's setting the mood to sell me a persian rug.

14 Nov 2017, 15:35
Metal Guru

That's a lot of money. Hockey is expensive, isn't it?

14 Nov 2017, 17:49
Metal King

Rocky Dennis wrote:
Hockey is expensive, isn't it?

Fuck an A it is. Try having a son that plays on a team @ $3800 just to sign him up on the team. Then, you have to pay about $150 PER tournament. Then, you gotta buy the gear. Then, the tournaments are usually out of state.....that means hotel rooms/gas/food.....

I don't miss those days at all.

Exorcist wrote:
I once deliberately crop dusted a child at a Walmart and I will fucking well do it again if the opportunity arises

14 Nov 2017, 17:54
Metal Guru

Hockey is not only expensive, but ice time is ridiculously hard to get, so practices and games are at stupid late times on weeknights or stupid early times on weekend/holidays.

And it doesn't matter how many rinks your city/town has. In Edmonton you can't swing a dead cat without hitting an indoor rink, but you have to sell a kidney to afford ice time at a regular hour.

14 Nov 2017, 18:44
Metal Guru

i take the bus into the city from the local rink, and all i see is super tired hockey and figure skating parents at ungodly hours

14 Nov 2017, 20:54
Metal Guru

oh yeah, hockey is retarded expensive. even more so for kids I think as M_K can vouch for, but I drop a ton of cash on it too.

just for this fall/winter season (September-April[ish]) I've spent

- $425 to play Monday nights (excluding holidays) every week @ 9:30,
- $520 to play ~25 beer league games,
- $250 to play every Friday @ 11:00PM including holidays (it was $350 but I get a discount for helping to organize that one, our total cost for the ice for the ~35 games or so is $5,200+insurance)
- and then pay per game pickup games the going rate is $15/game here (used to $5-10 back home, but more expensive here) and I usually do 3-5 of those per month.

and all of these games are generally between 9 and 11 PM on mostly weeknights because ice time any earlier than that is considered "prime" and much more expensive ("prime" ice time is ~$380/hour to rent the rink, non prime is ~$220)

and that's not even getting into the gear. you can buy a cheap stick for ~$60 but those are low end and don't hold up very well, so i generally aim for the $160-180 price point and just wait for a 50% off sale to buy 2. ended up getting a pro stock stick from a buddy who buys snapped ones and repairs them for $80, next I need to replace my $400 skates I bought last summer because they're beat to hell already.

at least it'll be winter soon and the outdoor rinks will be open soon so i'll be able to get in some free skates

15 Nov 2017, 09:52
Metal Guru

What this sounds like to me is that I need to get into the rink-renting and hockey stick-building business.

Burst Command Til War wrote:
You are never allowed in my house.

15 Nov 2017, 09:57
Profile ICQ WWW
Metal Guru

Clad In Shadows wrote:
What this sounds like to me is that I need to get into the rink-renting and hockey stick-building business.

It makes me look at buying music gear and think "shit, that ain't so bad!"

15 Nov 2017, 10:16
Metal Guru

Holy fuck and I feel bad paying more than $40 bucks for a round of golf. It's probably illegal to make your own rink on your property. True? Honest inquiry.

15 Nov 2017, 11:15
Metal Guru

I dunno, probably.

if you mean an outdoor one I'd imagine it probably falls into the "you're not allowed but if nobody says anything it's fine" kind of thing. my dad used to make one in the backyard when i was a kid and i'd skate from when i got home to when it was time to go to bed, plus there was a pond at the local park we'd skate every winter.

i have heard of neighbours complaining about them and people being forced to get rid of them though, every year.

there are 200+ municipally maintained outdoor rinks in Ottawa though, so there's no shortage of them, but it's weather dependent obviously. when we get these semi-green winters where it keeps warming up, it's difficult to get them made and keep them frozen, plus the ice quality suffers. in general an ODR is going to be more like skating an old chewed up road than a nice smooth new one, but puck is puck so you do it anyway.

an indoor one you pretty much would have to be rich to build your own with all the refrigeration costs it would take to maintain it.

15 Nov 2017, 11:27
Metal Guru

Rocky Dennis wrote:
Holy fuck and I feel bad paying more than $40 bucks for a round of golf. It's probably illegal to make your own rink on your property. True? Honest inquiry.

Not sure about the legality, but there are so many folks that floor their back yards to make outdoor rinks. I'm guessing that you're probably fine to do that until you start inviting other kids over and inviting the risk of being sued. And you definitely couldn't charge anyone to use it.

Growing up, we'd just skate on the ocean, because Canada.

Burst Command Til War wrote:
You are never allowed in my house.

15 Nov 2017, 12:43
Profile ICQ WWW
Metal Guru

ice rinks are like mini-ramps, waiver city before play.

15 Nov 2017, 12:45
Metal Guru

there is no bylaw against it that I am aware of. Lots of kids I knew had backyard rinks and we used to play shinny on them all the time. Pretty easy to make in Edmonton - as long as you have a thawed-out garden hose, just hose down your backyard in November.

16 Nov 2017, 18:48
Metal Guru

WTF, Firefox. What is with this new look and where did my NoScript go ?!

Don't make me switch browsers you fucks. :mad:

17 Nov 2017, 14:44
Metal Guru

I like the new look.

18 Nov 2017, 10:15
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 692 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 24, 25, 26, 27, 28