It is currently 17 Aug 2017, 06:40

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 116 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
 Wings of Metal 2017 - Sept 8-9 - Katacombes - Montreal 
Metal Guru

Post Re: Wings of Metal 2017 - Sept 8-9 - Katacombes - Montreal

Wings of Metal are proud of announcing their second co-headliner for its sold-out 2017 final edition... Time Lord!

Time Lord is a humble homage to the one and only Terry Jones of Pagan Altar. Featuring the founding guitarist Alan Jones, past PA members as well as true Pagan Altar fanatics, they will be playing a rare and magical performance for the last edition of WOM festival. The musicians Diccon Harper (bass) and Andy Green (drums) were active in the early incarnation of the Pagan Altar reunion and will be joined by die hard PA worshippers Brendan Radigan (vocals - Magic Circle) and Andres Arango (rhythm guitar - Cauchemar, Metalian).

This 75-minute set will consist of all eras of Pagan Altar, including one track from the final record, "The Room of Shadows". It will be the first time these songs would be performed live since Terry’s tragic passing. The show will also be the record release for "The Room of Shadows", set to be released on August 24th, 2017 on Temple of Mystery records.

Join us to celebrate the legendary Pagan Altar and its glowing late frontman Terry Jones on September 9th at Wings of Metal festival. It is set to be a special night that we are bound never to forget...

01 Jun 2017, 11:29
Metal Guru

Boner has reached an festival high with this announcement.

01 Jun 2017, 11:32
Metal Guru

Ok, now I really wish I could go
:(

03 Jun 2017, 09:18
Metal Guru

Unfortunately, as it happens at every edition, a band has to drop out of the line-up. This year, the band is Spell - and due to some commitments, they have no choice but to cancel their appearance at the fest. It’s a shame because we really love their last LP! But they will surely be back in the area sometime in the next few years.
Now, we want to introduce you to their replacement band - Olympia/Washington-based Quayde LaHüe! They are an upcoming and relatively new band sharing three members with Christian Mistress (everyone but their singer - who is another kick-ass front woman by the name of Jenna!). Their riff-heavy super-catchy but melancholic heavy metal rock caught our full attention a few months ago, and we more than happy to have them on board. They will be playing second on Friday, after Starlight Ritual. Make sure not to miss their high energy heavy rock!

Bummer. I was looking forward to Spell. Will check out this band though. Christian Mistress are aiight.

06 Jun 2017, 13:53
Metal Guru

This is pretty awesome right here:

This year, our sponsor the devil's hole makes a very limited "Wings of metal" Edition of the bite - one of the best ipa in Quebec!!!!!! Beers will be available from mid-August (we will let you know) in 3 Montreal convenience stores and aux!

Hopefully it's available at the festival itself too.

20 Jul 2017, 11:24
Metal Guru

Hotel and train booked.

08 Aug 2017, 18:15
Metal Guru

As always, there is a Thursday Night Warm-Up Party, and it's pretty fucking cool this year...

"Right around the time Emperor and Burzum were torching churches in their native Norway, a trio of Mexican teenagers lit their own black metal inferno in Mexico City. Guitarist/vocalist Marco Ek Balam, drummer Jorge Ah Ektenel and bassist Jose Ortiz started in 1992 with their first demo Lucescitae Tristis Hiei. Naming themselves after the Mayan underworld detailed in the ancient K’iche’ mythological text Popol Vuh, Xibalba had broken up in 1997, but returned in 2008 - and they now often considered to be one of the best live black metal bands, conjuring ritualistic evil from far below the underworld…"

09 Aug 2017, 11:20
Metal Guru

I have never gone to the Thursday night pre-show, but kind of wish I was this year. Xibalba would be cool as fuck to see. Would get a little pricey for a trip to Montreal though... the hotels are quite a bit more expensive this year it seems too. Usually I'm in for about $200 for the weekend for a room. This year it will be well over $300 to stay at the Fest hotel.

09 Aug 2017, 11:30
Metal Guru

Blasphomet wrote:
I have never gone to the Thursday night pre-show, but kind of wish I was this year. Xibalba would be cool as fuck to see. Would get a little pricey for a trip to Montreal though... the hotels are quite a bit more expensive this year it seems too. Usually I'm in for about $200 for the weekend for a room. This year it will be well over $300 to stay at the Fest hotel.

Have you looked into Air BnB? Usually I save oodles of cash going that route instead of the standard hotels

09 Aug 2017, 15:57
Metal Guru

Svarog wrote:
Blasphomet wrote:

Have you looked into Air BnB? Usually I save oodles of cash going that route instead of the standard hotels

I should maybe look into that. I can cancel my reservation up to 24hrs before I check in... the fest hotels are always fun though. But so is money lol. I've never done the Air BnB thing. I've been skeptical... but I guess it's legit... never had an issue where the place wasn't available when you went or something stupid?

09 Aug 2017, 16:09
Metal Guru

Blasphomet wrote:
Svarog wrote:
Blasphomet wrote:

I should maybe look into that. I can cancel my reservation up to 24hrs before I check in... the fest hotels are always fun though. But so is money lol. I've never done the Air BnB thing. I've been skeptical... but I guess it's legit... never had an issue where the place wasn't available when you went or something stupid?

I've heard about crap like that but I've never encountered it and I use Air BnB all the time... I've used it in Canada, the USA, Iceland, Croatia, etc.

Each host and property has user reviews... so look at them. I understand that sometimes people don't want to leave a negative review per se, but usually in those circumstances, they won't leave a review at all, so the mere presence of several good positive reviews is usually enough to ensure me that everything will be fine, and it usually is.

I was looking into one for Wings of Metal (I was going to go originally but had to pull out a few weeks ago because of other stuff that came looming on the horizon) and I found one like a 5 minute walk to the venue, for cheap. That's the cool thing about it... there's a map function which shows the different properties available during your date range, so you can browse by using the map to ensure that it's as close to where you want to be as possible

10 Aug 2017, 07:24
Metal Guru

We're staying at the fest hotel and it was pretty reasonable if I remember correctly. My buddy booked them so I can remember what he told me the cost was.
I hope they have posters and shirts for the fest. The designs are killer.

10 Aug 2017, 08:49
Metal Guru

Svarog wrote:
Blasphomet wrote:
Svarog wrote:
Blasphomet wrote:

I've heard about crap like that but I've never encountered it and I use Air BnB all the time... I've used it in Canada, the USA, Iceland, Croatia, etc.

Each host and property has user reviews... so look at them. I understand that sometimes people don't want to leave a negative review per se, but usually in those circumstances, they won't leave a review at all, so the mere presence of several good positive reviews is usually enough to ensure me that everything will be fine, and it usually is.

I was looking into one for Wings of Metal (I was going to go originally but had to pull out a few weeks ago because of other stuff that came looming on the horizon) and I found one like a 5 minute walk to the venue, for cheap. That's the cool thing about it... there's a map function which shows the different properties available during your date range, so you can browse by using the map to ensure that it's as close to where you want to be as possible

Going to look into it.

10 Aug 2017, 15:12
Metal Guru

Headquake wrote:
We're staying at the fest hotel and it was pretty reasonable if I remember correctly. My buddy booked them so I can remember what he told me the cost was.
I hope they have posters and shirts for the fest. The designs are killer.

After tax and with the discount it was like $352. That's if I go solo though. I may cancel it and share a room with a couple buddies... but I would rather have my own room to be honest. I am going to look into Air BnB, but the hotel would be good incase of parties and such. Either way, $352 for the weekend isn't going to break the bank... but it's more than I ever spent by quite a bit as far as I remember. She said it is the 275th anniversary of Montreal or something, so that's why.

10 Aug 2017, 15:14
Metal Guru

So have they sold posters or shirts with the poster designs in the past?

10 Aug 2017, 15:38
Metal Guru

Headquake wrote:
So have they sold posters or shirts with the poster designs in the past?

Every year. They already announced the poster. They are usually somewhat limited. So are the shirts. I have a shirt from each year, but no posters. Will buy both this year. I'll buy a shirt when I get there... and then a poster at the end if available still.

10 Aug 2017, 22:38
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 116 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5