It is currently 17 Aug 2017, 06:52

Wings of Metal 2017 - Sept 8-9 - Katacombes - Montreal 
Metal Guru

Post Wings of Metal 2017 - Sept 8-9 - Katacombes - Montreal
This year's Wings of Metal is apparently a farewell to the festival. 4 different festivals over 5 years. Bummer. It's always an excellent fucking time. Barring any unforeseen circumstances, I will absolutely be attending this year festival for one last Wings of Metal party.

:smokin: :shock: :beer:

Thursday Warm-up Party:

Event Page:
https://www.facebook.com/events/364211863949587/

Line-up

Friday

Sacrifice (Co-headliner)

Varathron (Co-headliner)

Communion

Slutvomit

Quayde LaHüe

Starlight Ritual

Saturday

Voivod (Co-headliner)

Time Lord (Pagan Altar)(Co-headliner)

Diamond Head

Crypt Sermon

Slaughtbbath

Outre-Tombe

Last edited by Blasphomet on 09 Aug 2017, 11:27, edited 24 times in total.

05 Jan 2017, 00:40
Metal Guru

Post Re: Wings of Metal 2017 - Sept 8-10 - Katacombes - Montreal
First band announcement.

Slaughtbbath, from Chile. I have one of the demos on tape and the band is indeed vicious as fuck. Nice announcement in the wake of my jealousy of regarding the Blasphemy/Archgoat show in Vancouver. :)

05 Jan 2017, 00:50
Metal Guru

Location: Spitting darts from the tip of a glacier used for my hideout
Post Re: Wings of Metal 2017 - Sept 8-9 - Katacombes - Montreal
I'd feel weird if I never wound up going to any of these before they wind down as I think the fest is super well promoted and organized, not to mention they always have a handful of bands I am interested in. That said I have not made the trip yet, so I am hoping this year when they roll the headliners out I will finally be pushed over the edge!

05 Jan 2017, 03:18
Profile WWW
Metal Guru

ingenting wrote:
I'd feel weird if I never wound up going to any of these before they wind down as I think the fest is super well promoted and organized, not to mention they always have a handful of bands I am interested in. That said I have not made the trip yet, so I am hoping this year when they roll the headliners out I will finally be pushed over the edge!

Will be the best party of the year. :beer:

05 Jan 2017, 12:36
Metal Guru

Fuck I went to the first two and if this is the last one, I'm seriously considering going for the final round. Gonna wait in till a few more bands are announced before I make my decision.

You know what would be a good headliner for this year? Sacrifice playing Forward to Termination in its entirety!

11 Jan 2017, 01:03
Metal Guru

Sacrifice would be cool, but I only just saw them last year as did many others, so I think it would be cool to see someone else. I'd be all for Bulldozer... or Metalucifer. :)

Or Urfaust... but I don't see them on this fest for some reason... although Bolzer were. It's a good mix always so you never know!

11 Jan 2017, 14:50
Metal Guru

Slough Feg would be a amazing fit for this festival.

11 Jan 2017, 22:10
Metal Guru

Big time.

11 Jan 2017, 23:07
Metal Guru

"The second band that we are announcing for Wings this year is SPELL, the mystical heavy metal band from Vancouver! We couldn’t stop listening to their newest record, For None and All, and absolutely wanted them on board for the festival. Expect proper 70’s influenced magical heavy metal with hypnotizing riffs. A real treat."

Heard of them, never heard them. Will be checking out right away. Meant to a while ago but they fell off my radar.

Last edited by Blasphomet on 01 Feb 2017, 14:56, edited 1 time in total.

18 Jan 2017, 18:08
Metal Guru

Ruke wrote:
You know what would be a good headliner for this year? Sacrifice playing Forward to Termination in its entirety!

Add Torment in Fire to that set and it might be kind of good! :)

01 Feb 2017, 14:53
Metal Guru

"One of the best and most intense shows we’ve ever seen was Canadian evil thrash metal legends Sacrifice’s reunion show in 2006. Armed with the four original members, the band proved that they were as deadly if not more powerful as they were back in the 80’s!!!! They will be playing a special set of their two first albums, Torment in Fire and Forward to Termination in their entirety. No more words can describe how insane this show is going to be! One by one, we will take you…"

Last edited by Blasphomet on 22 Mar 2017, 15:07, edited 1 time in total.

01 Feb 2017, 14:55
Metal Guru

Blasphomet wrote:
Sacrifice would be cool, but I only just saw them last year as did many others, so I think it would be cool to see someone else.

This was my sentiment... but in reality, the Sacrifice show sold out in T.O. for the Inertia Anniversary show as far as I remember. It was probably the best show of 2017 for me simply because Sacrifice were so fucking good. This gives Montreal a chance for a show for the first time in 25 years. And while I would have been on board with another band that I know and love, whether I love them is never a guarantee (see The Skull, Holocaust, and Angel Witch... all cool bands, but not personal faves). With this band it is a guarantee... and it also alleviates any concern regarding customer/immigration when it comes to a band getting into Canada.

Torment in Fire and Forward to Termination are both legend, and this means their set will be close to an hour and a half. In the tiny club that is Coop Katacombes, there is no way this won't be one of the best headlining sets at the fest yet. One for the ages.

I wonder of Required Fields will make the trip for this one. If not... falsepose. :)

01 Feb 2017, 15:09
Metal Guru

Sacrifice is doing a Torment In Fire / Forward to Termination set, but aren't doing the albums in their entirety. They changed the wording on the Wings of Metal facebook page:

"They will be playing a special set of their two first albums, Torment in Fire and Forward to Termination. "

01 Feb 2017, 20:59
Metal Guru

Close enough. :)

01 Feb 2017, 23:08
Headbanger

Blasphomet wrote:
Sacrifice would be cool, but I only just saw them last year as did many others, so I think it would be cool to see someone else. I'd be all for Bulldozer... or Metalucifer. :) !

A few years back SACRIFICE played a "One time only" reunion show in Toronta, for $50 fuckin bucks or sumthing crazy expensive.

I KNEW it was BS and that they were back and would be playing many many more gigs afterwards. I was correct and since then haven't listened to nor paid much attention to this highly over rated band.

02 Feb 2017, 13:17
Metal Guru

witchmark666 wrote:
Blasphomet wrote:
Sacrifice would be cool, but I only just saw them last year as did many others, so I think it would be cool to see someone else. I'd be all for Bulldozer... or Metalucifer. :) !

A few years back SACRIFICE played a "One time only" reunion show in Toronta, for $50 fuckin bucks or sumthing crazy expensive.

I KNEW it was BS and that they were back and would be playing many many more gigs afterwards. I was correct and since then haven't listened to nor paid much attention to this highly over rated band.

You showed them!

02 Feb 2017, 14:53
Metal Guru

Possible road trip for this

02 Feb 2017, 15:30
Metal Guru

"Relatively new-comers in the american Doom Metal scene, Crypt Sermon has been impressing us with their heavy as hell massive riffs and Dio-esque vocals. They have released a demo in 2014 and their debut full length Out of the Garden in 2015 - both on Dark Descent Records. This will be their first ever gig in Canada. For fans of Solitude Aeturnus, Candlemass and Trouble."

15 Feb 2017, 13:11
Metal Guru

Wings of Metal are proud to present the filthy old-style Death Metal band OUTRE-TOMBE from Quebec City! The province of Quebec has been spewing forth hundreds of Death Metal bands for years, but rarely have they impressed us this much. This is ANCIENT straightforward 90’s style metal in the haunting Swedish style, with French horror lyrics. The songs are well written and full of hooks, and their gigs always fill you up with adrenaline and a sore neck, haha! They only released one album up to now - Répurgation, in 2015, but it’s perfect from beginning to end. Worship!

22 Feb 2017, 12:40
Metal Guru

Nice looks tempting. I haven't heard of any of these bands but am prob gonna check em out.

24 Feb 2017, 15:31
Metal Guru

damn gurl

24 Feb 2017, 16:01
Metal Guru

RyanJD wrote:
Nice looks tempting. I haven't heard of any of these bands but am prob gonna check em out.

Get on it. All are excellent. The only one I didn't know was Spell but now I can't stop listening to their most recent album. It's great.

If you're do consider actually going though I suggest making sure you get tickets right away when they go on sale. It will sell out, and very quickly. Last fest the tickets went on sale at 8am and the weekend passes were gone in 20 minutes. I slept in and ended up having to buy tickets for each day... I literally snoozed and losed.

25 Feb 2017, 17:15
Metal Guru

Blasphomet wrote:

"Relatively new-comers in the american Doom Metal scene, Crypt Sermon has been impressing us with their heavy as hell massive riffs and Dio-esque vocals. They have released a demo in 2014 and their debut full length Out of the Garden in 2015 - both on Dark Descent Records. This will be their first ever gig in Canada. For fans of Solitude Aeturnus, Candlemass and Trouble."

I completely forgot I own their album "Out of the Garden", was going through my Ipod and was like who the fuck are these guys? Forgot I received it in the MetalHead Box.

I dig the CD. Check em out.

25 Feb 2017, 18:44
Profile WWW
Metal Guru

herra_af_lik wrote:
Blasphomet wrote:

I completely forgot I own their album "Out of the Garden", was going through my Ipod and was like who the fuck are these guys? Forgot I received it in the MetalHead Box.

I dig the CD. Check em out.

Yeah it's a rad album. Looking forward to the set.

27 Feb 2017, 15:51
Metal Guru

An obscure dream came true! We at Wings of Metal are huge fans of the late 80’s, early 90’s wave of Black Metal, and so we are more than happy to present you the first ever Canadian show by Greek legends VARATHRON!! Having formed in 1988, this greek cult band’s cavernous sound is based around atmosphere, with hypnotic guitar work, slower doomy/death moments and bursts of chaos so typical of this very special, southern European type of Black Metal. They have stayed strong over the years, having released 5 LPs, as well as multiple demos, EPs and splits - most of them are considered absolute classics in the genre. One of the best BM bands we have ever witnessed. It is an absolute luck that we have to witness them in an environment as intimate as the Katacombes. Worship!

01 Mar 2017, 12:52