It is currently 17 Nov 2018, 09:12

Music Streaming Services 
Metal Guru

Post Music Streaming Services
So, I've never really used anything but checking out stuff like Pandora and Spotify's free versions. Does anyone use the pay versions of any of these?

From what I learned it seems like the top ones are Spotify, Apple Music, Slacker and Amazon. And I guess Pandora. What is everyone's opinions on all these services. Sure, nothing will replace the fun of buying albums, but, you know, it's nice to have easier access, especially since vinyl, which I like to collect, is so goddamn expensive. Also, I guess this goes without saying, what's the best one for metal. And even apart from that, just good music. There's a bunch of them out there and they all seem mostly around the same price.

President Bagel wrote:
Seriously, chill out, everypony. It's not everyone else's fault you're still using a 14.4k modem.

22 Oct 2018, 01:15
Metal Guru

Post Re: Music Streaming Services
I pay 10€ a month for Spotify. Best money I spend. The UI is good, all the good music is on it, I can download music for offline playing, I have it on my phone, tablet, PC and PlayStation etc. I have discovered so much new music through it and I can't imagine going back to a pre-premium streaming service world.

It has of course meant that I buy less CDs and almost no digital purchases but that means I spend more on tshirts when the bands come out on tour.

22 Oct 2018, 05:26
Profile WWW
Metal Guru

My iPhone died a few months ago so I bought an Android phone. Now the Apple music app doesn't want to authentify me and it says I need and Apple device to get an authentification code. :mad: All this because I didn't update my billing info on time. Looks like I'll be switching to Spotify..

22 Oct 2018, 07:13
Metal Guru

We have google play (and now youtube premium) at work and I like it because it lets you upload your own digital albums. They have pretty much everything I could possibly want anyway, but there's still a few holes here and there so I find it useful just for that.

22 Oct 2018, 07:58
Metal Guru

Spotify is amazing. It's got almost everything, and everything else is on Bandcamp. Clean UI, fairly bugfree, and relatively cheap. I do think Pandora's radios are better than spotifys but that's okay, I rarely do the radio thing

Reigning Blood wrote:
No excuse. I'm old enough to be ninja's degenerate grandad

Rook wrote:
Get me a time machine so I can not care about this band in the past too

22 Oct 2018, 09:49
Metal Guru

Went with iTunes Match as long as I could and switched over to Apple Music this year. It is nice being able to check anything out that you want to and if it sucks, just delete it and move on. Pretty sure I can still upload my own stuff to the Library as well, but haven’t tried it yet.

I’ve really been digging in to back catalogs of some of the 60’s and 70’s bands that I passsed by. :smokin:

22 Oct 2018, 11:04
Metal Guru

I spent a couple weeks going through all the streaming services and comparing them on price, ease of use and sound quality.

It was not even CLOSE...

TIDAL Hi-Fi is far and away the best.

If sound quality is your thing, TIDAL is the best choice IMHO.

Otherwise, just go for whichever one is easiest for you to use. I found Spotify to be kinda a pain in the ass.

22 Oct 2018, 11:06
Metal Guru

Location: Ottawa (the city that fun forgot but don't tell the bands that)
Spotify by far works for me. Lots of variety and easy to navigate. Though it looks like I'll need to upgrade my current data plan on my phone in order to download the app.

22 Oct 2018, 11:31
Metal Guru

Only youtube and bandcamp

https://bandcamp.com/monos4
https://grandaltarofsatanicwintergoats1.bandcamp.com/

22 Oct 2018, 11:39
Metal Guru

Monos wrote:

yes.

Big Metal Dude wrote:
fālsëpøsê.

Rocky Dennis wrote:
Manowar calls, you fucking answer. No excuses, no regrets. Hail and Kill.

22 Oct 2018, 11:40
Metal Guru

Monos wrote:

same

Malevolent_Croatian wrote:
half the time it feels like he's setting the mood to sell me a persian rug.

'Shall He Hate Even In Death'.

22 Oct 2018, 11:48
Metal Guru

Monos wrote:

Me too. If I really like something, I'll buy it digitally on Bandcamp or Amazon. Then I can listen to it whenever and however I want on my devices. And I feel good knowing a good chunk of the money I pay goes to the artist.

22 Oct 2018, 11:48
Metal Guru

Feast of Noise wrote:
We have google play (and now youtube premium) at work and I like it because it lets you upload your own digital albums. They have pretty much everything I could possibly want anyway, but there's still a few holes here and there so I find it useful just for that.

This. I buy CDs and upload the MP3s for streaming. Or you can pay a monthly fee to stream everything.

Blasphomet wrote:
Give it a googy.

22 Oct 2018, 11:55
Profile ICQ WWW
Metal Guru

I use iTunes. Costco sells $100 iTunes gift cards for $80. So I save on my monthly fees by using them.

Last edited by Crazy from the Heat on 22 Oct 2018, 14:35, edited 1 time in total.

22 Oct 2018, 12:35
Metal Guru

Solomon Grundy wrote:

Same here. TIDAL sounds noticeably better than anything else I've tried on my home system and with headphones.

I found that Spotify's controls didn't integrate well with streaming music on my home equipment, but TIDAL works fantastic. I hate Apple products and hate Itunes. I think Amazon and Google are the antichrist (all their products wiretap your home into the internet), so i don't even consider those.

22 Oct 2018, 14:29
Metal Guru

Blackjebus wrote:
Solomon Grundy wrote:

Same here. TIDAL sounds noticeably better than anything else I've tried on my home system and with headphones.

I found that Spotify's controls didn't integrate well with streaming music on my home equipment, but TIDAL works fantastic. I hate Apple products and hate Itunes. I think Amazon and Google are the antichrist (all their products wiretap your home into the internet), so i don't even consider those.

So, do you have to pay the 20$ fee to get the better sound quality or the basic fee is also better sounding? Also, is the music selection comparable to the others?

22 Oct 2018, 15:10
Metal Guru

Their music library is my main concern with them. We were asked if we'd prefer to have tidal at work and I said I'd rather not because I was worried they would miss a lot of what I want to hear outside of the big names.

22 Oct 2018, 15:32
Metal Guru

Spotify has most of what I want to hear. Bandcamp covers whatever Spotify doesn't. Its an incredible resource for checking out new music. That aspect alone makes it worth my ten bucks per month.

22 Oct 2018, 15:55
Metal Guru

Feast of Noise wrote:
Their music library is my main concern with them. We were asked if we'd prefer to have tidal at work and I said I'd rather not because I was worried they would miss a lot of what I want to hear outside of the big names.

I find 90% of everything I'm looking for on TIDAL.

I pay $20 and have the highest sound quality possible. However, the $10 option also has sound quality higher than Spotify.

22 Oct 2018, 17:40
Metal Guru

Used spotify for awhile before I left for Europe trip in July, but found I just kept going back to my Ipod because I can't find certain things on it.

22 Oct 2018, 19:55
Profile WWW
Metal Guru

YT Premium is amazing with Google Play Music. The two together are worth the money.

And then be a reflection of their loss

22 Oct 2018, 21:34
Metal Guru

What sucks is that Google Play Music is supposed to be merging with Youtube Music and I'm not sure what will happen with the sound quality. GPM is currently at 320 and YTM at 128. AAC apparently but still.

22 Oct 2018, 22:09
Metal Guru

Thanks everyone. I think I might just mess around with a few. I see that some of them give you free trials anyway. I'll have to check out this Tidal. That's one I've actually never heard of.

President Bagel wrote:
Seriously, chill out, everypony. It's not everyone else's fault you're still using a 14.4k modem.

22 Oct 2018, 23:29
Metal Guru

i imagine i'll start using apple music at some point when itunes stops selling.

right now i have amazon music but only for my echo dot, can't play it on any other device. only 3.99/month

every month i use the credit card rewards points i've earned to get a $50 itunes gift card so that's usually all i buy now.

23 Oct 2018, 08:33
Metal Guru

Feast of Noise wrote:
What sucks is that Google Play Music is supposed to be merging with Youtube Music and I'm not sure what will happen with the sound quality. GPM is currently at 320 and YTM at 128. AAC apparently but still.

I can't imagine they'd make their service worse, but you never know.

Blasphomet wrote:
Give it a googy.

23 Oct 2018, 10:08
Profile ICQ WWW