It is currently 21 Feb 2018, 09:57



Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 40 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 WATAIN - Trident Wolf Eclipse 
Author Message
Metal Guru
User avatar

Joined: 24 Mar 2002, 17:21
Posts: 13733
Location: Where Metalpunk rules supreme
Post WATAIN - Trident Wolf Eclipse
It's out there, youtube, whatever.

Anyone else gave it a shot? Thoughts?

I guess some don't care anymore (or never did) but initial listen was pleasant, has a darker vibe than the last 2, hints at Sworn to the Dark mostly, but a bit less memorable.

Looking foward to the show next month with D666 and Revenge.

_________________
Tyrannorabbit wrote:
Get a face tattoo, that'll help


http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=leave+the+hall


09 Jan 2018, 20:38
Profile
MetalHead
User avatar

Joined: 29 Sep 2017, 14:39
Posts: 794
Post Re: WATAIN - Trident Wolf Eclipse
I actually just put this on now. It came in the mail today. So far, I'm pleased. It sounds more like mid-period Watain to me so far...which is a good thing.


09 Jan 2018, 20:42
Profile
Metal Guru
User avatar

Joined: 21 Feb 2005, 11:24
Posts: 16726
Post Re: WATAIN - Trident Wolf Eclipse
I thought it was pretty good. :m:


09 Jan 2018, 21:04
Profile
Metal Guru
User avatar

Joined: 03 Jan 2004, 11:53
Posts: 30460
Location: Bridgewater, NS
Post Re: WATAIN - Trident Wolf Eclipse
My copy is on it's way in the mail. I have this band's entire discography, but I'll be damned if I don't listen to them much. I should change that. Everything they've put out is quality.

_________________
Most recent acquisitions:

CAVALERA CONSPIRACY - Psychosis
MAMMOTH GRINDER - Cosmic Crypt
WITCHERY - I Am Legion
EXOTO - Carnival Of Souls (re-issue)
WATAIN - Trident Wolf Eclipse


09 Jan 2018, 21:31
Profile
Metal Guru
User avatar

Joined: 24 Feb 2011, 14:26
Posts: 43344
Location: North Haverbrook
Post Re: WATAIN - Trident Wolf Eclipse
What about this album separates it from their predominantly boring 'norsecore' catalogue that will make me care to listen to it more than once? Orthodox Black Metal? Isn't that what they call the 'norsecore' of bands like this and Marduk these days or something? Or is that something else?

I'll listen to this at some point though... because I'll be going to that show too to see Revenge and D666. Watain I have enjoyed live in the past though, so that's good. I finally listened to The Wild Hunt recently and it seemed wildly more interesting than anything else they've done... which explains why it was generally received quite poorly by fans.


09 Jan 2018, 23:02
Profile
Metal Guru
User avatar

Joined: 17 Apr 2004, 15:51
Posts: 62255
Post Re: WATAIN - Trident Wolf Eclipse
Not interested, to be honest. If a sample changes my mind, I'll be surprised. But I'm not holding out any hopes.

_________________
I could go on and on about this, but I have better things to do. -Hoest


09 Jan 2018, 23:28
Profile
Metal Guru
User avatar

Joined: 07 Oct 2016, 00:50
Posts: 1624
Location: 1986
Post Re: WATAIN - Trident Wolf Eclipse
Nothing special but its a fun little album. Great artwork imo

_________________
Firefarter wrote:
he was still sucking titties when I registered

Reigning Blood wrote:
No excuse. I'm old enough to be ninja's degenerate grandad

Rook wrote:
Get me a time machine so I can not care about this band in the past too


10 Jan 2018, 01:53
Profile
Metal Guru
User avatar

Joined: 09 Mar 2002, 21:00
Posts: 71511
Location: Ogdenville
Post Re: WATAIN - Trident Wolf Eclipse
Ninjazula wrote:
Nothing special but its a fun little album. Great artwork imo


Yup. I doubt it'll make my top 15 this year or even be in the running for it, but it's solid. It there are no real lows on the record, but there aren't any highs, either. It's a really solid 6.5/10.

_________________
Blackjebus wrote:
Yeah, once you have AIDS you don't have to worry about AIDS anymore. Instead you have to worry about colds.


10 Jan 2018, 09:12
Profile
Metal Guru
User avatar

Joined: 15 May 2008, 21:19
Posts: 12786
Location: Dallas, TX USA
Post Re: WATAIN - Trident Wolf Eclipse
I really like the album. It goes back to their roots. It probably could have been released after Rabid Death's Curse.

_________________
I am He!
(The Crowned and Conquering One!)
Conqueror of Fear!


10 Jan 2018, 10:45
Profile
Metal Guru
User avatar

Joined: 12 Dec 2004, 08:29
Posts: 17824
Location: nj
Post Re: WATAIN - Trident Wolf Eclipse
glad to hear it's better than the last one.

_________________
did that butter churn just move? cause if it did.....


10 Jan 2018, 10:48
Profile
Metal Guru
User avatar

Joined: 24 Mar 2002, 17:21
Posts: 13733
Location: Where Metalpunk rules supreme
Post Re: WATAIN - Trident Wolf Eclipse
I don't get the norsecore tag and the Marduk reference Blaspho. They always had more in common with Mayhem and Dissection than any era of Marduk. They do have some similarities with "orthodox" bands like Malign, Ofermod and Ondskapt, but that's about it. They're as much norsecorse as say, Taake.

But if you never cared for any of their album, even for the brilliant Casus Luciferi, don't bother with this one I guess it won't change your mind.

I really like the guitar tone on this one, and they finally decided to cut on the length, which was my main complaint with Lawless Darkness; that thing had filler and way too much songs on it, making it lose all momentum. Even Sworn was too long if you ask me.

_________________
Tyrannorabbit wrote:
Get a face tattoo, that'll help


http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=leave+the+hall


10 Jan 2018, 13:41
Profile
Metal Guru
User avatar

Joined: 07 Oct 2016, 00:50
Posts: 1624
Location: 1986
Post Re: WATAIN - Trident Wolf Eclipse
Guitar tone definitely rules. I love how this album sounds

_________________
Firefarter wrote:
he was still sucking titties when I registered

Reigning Blood wrote:
No excuse. I'm old enough to be ninja's degenerate grandad

Rook wrote:
Get me a time machine so I can not care about this band in the past too


10 Jan 2018, 18:13
Profile
Metal Guru
User avatar

Joined: 30 Jul 2009, 13:00
Posts: 15522
Location: The Depths of Hell
Post Re: WATAIN - Trident Wolf Eclipse
Just got it in the mail today. Haven't spun it yet.

_________________
Fear causes hesitation, and hesitation will cause your worst fears to come true.


10 Jan 2018, 19:51
Profile
Metal Guru
User avatar

Joined: 24 Feb 2011, 14:26
Posts: 43344
Location: North Haverbrook
Post Re: WATAIN - Trident Wolf Eclipse
ArckAngeLL wrote:
I don't get the norsecore tag and the Marduk reference Blaspho. They always had more in common with Mayhem and Dissection than any era of Marduk. They do have some similarities with "orthodox" bands like Malign, Ofermod and Ondskapt, but that's about it. They're as much norsecorse as say, Taake.

But if you never cared for any of their album, even for the brilliant Casus Luciferi, don't bother with this one I guess it won't change your mind.

I really like the guitar tone on this one, and they finally decided to cut on the length, which was my main complaint with Lawless Darkness; that thing had filler and way too much songs on it, making it lose all momentum. Even Sworn was too long if you ask me.


The Marduk comparison is more just the bland predictability before I even listen. I can't personally consider anything by these guys brilliant. Just not worth it for me.

By everything that's been said, and from the sample track I head back a month ago or so... it's exactly what is to be expected.


10 Jan 2018, 22:17
Profile
Metal Guru
User avatar

Joined: 17 Apr 2004, 15:51
Posts: 62255
Post Re: WATAIN - Trident Wolf Eclipse
This band was considered a Dissection clone for the first three albums. They still might be.

_________________
I could go on and on about this, but I have better things to do. -Hoest


10 Jan 2018, 22:25
Profile
Metal Guru
User avatar

Joined: 24 Feb 2011, 14:26
Posts: 43344
Location: North Haverbrook
Post Re: WATAIN - Trident Wolf Eclipse
Never heard the melody or similar atmosphere personally. But perhaps 'anti-cosmic' is enough for people to consider them as such.


10 Jan 2018, 23:48
Profile
Metal Guru
User avatar

Joined: 17 Nov 2008, 22:32
Posts: 6577
Location: Chicago, IL
Post Re: WATAIN - Trident Wolf Eclipse
thelostpatrol wrote:
This band was considered a Dissection clone for the first three albums. They still might be.


Funny, I always heard Pure Holocaust-era Immortal when I listened to Casus Luciferi.

We all have different reference points with this band.

:lol:

_________________
Image


11 Jan 2018, 10:41
Profile
Metal Guru
User avatar

Joined: 05 May 2003, 18:34
Posts: 12468
Location: London, Canada
Post Re: WATAIN - Trident Wolf Eclipse
I remember the Dissection comparisons when the first couple albums were all they had out.
This new album is great. Love the production.


11 Jan 2018, 11:01
Profile
Metal Guru
User avatar

Joined: 20 Dec 2004, 18:27
Posts: 48636
Location: Attending a Knife Party
Post Re: WATAIN - Trident Wolf Eclipse
ArckAngeLL wrote:
It's out there, youtube, whatever.

Anyone else gave it a shot? Thoughts?

I guess some don't care anymore (or never did) but initial listen was pleasant, has a darker vibe than the last 2, hints at Sworn to the Dark mostly, but a bit less memorable.

Looking foward to the show next month with D666 and Revenge.


I liked only a few songs on STTD (heh), Casus Luciferi was their last great record, and it's an absolute monster.

_________________
Rocky Dennis wrote:
All hopped up on DHMO, can't see the obvious evil power grab.


11 Jan 2018, 16:22
Profile WWW
Metal Guru
User avatar

Joined: 01 Nov 2009, 22:51
Posts: 18625
Location: Austin, TX
Post Re: WATAIN - Trident Wolf Eclipse
Heard the first two tracks this morning. Pretty good but not too different than anything they've been doing. Which is fine.

_________________
Rook wrote:
poop


11 Jan 2018, 17:02
Profile
Metal Guru
User avatar

Joined: 24 Feb 2011, 14:26
Posts: 43344
Location: North Haverbrook
Post Re: WATAIN - Trident Wolf Eclipse
I listened to Casus Luciferi for the first time in years and on the drive home in the rain and actually enjoyed it more than I remember.

I think sometimes I am too hard on bands like this and Marduk... but man, maybe I'm just spoiled with all the most excellent and more unique and interesting black metal of the past decade that people that love stuff like this seem to ignore for some reason.


11 Jan 2018, 23:33
Profile
Metal Guru
User avatar

Joined: 09 Mar 2002, 21:00
Posts: 71511
Location: Ogdenville
Post Re: WATAIN - Trident Wolf Eclipse
Blasphomet wrote:
I listened to Casus Luciferi for the first time in years and on the drive home in the rain and actually enjoyed it more than I remember.

I think sometimes I am too hard on bands like this and Marduk... but man, maybe I'm just spoiled with all the most excellent and more unique and interesting black metal of the past decade that people that love stuff like this seem to ignore for some reason.


Just because you're stoked on one thing doesn't mean you can't be stoked on other things :)

_________________
Blackjebus wrote:
Yeah, once you have AIDS you don't have to worry about AIDS anymore. Instead you have to worry about colds.


12 Jan 2018, 09:27
Profile
Metal Guru
User avatar

Joined: 14 May 2003, 00:44
Posts: 15670
Location: Kalispell MT
Post Re: WATAIN - Trident Wolf Eclipse
I dig it. If it ain't broke don't fix it. 8)

_________________
Current Favorites:

Inquisitor - Stigmata Me, I'm in Misery
Morbid Angel - Kingdoms Disdained
Clamfight - III


12 Jan 2018, 11:43
Profile
Metal Guru
User avatar

Joined: 24 Feb 2011, 14:26
Posts: 43344
Location: North Haverbrook
Post Re: WATAIN - Trident Wolf Eclipse
Exorcist wrote:
Blasphomet wrote:
I listened to Casus Luciferi for the first time in years and on the drive home in the rain and actually enjoyed it more than I remember.

I think sometimes I am too hard on bands like this and Marduk... but man, maybe I'm just spoiled with all the most excellent and more unique and interesting black metal of the past decade that people that love stuff like this seem to ignore for some reason.


Just because you're stoked on one thing doesn't mean you can't be stoked on other things :)


If they are lesser, which they are, it hinders things. :)

Like... bands like Lunar Aurora, Cosmic Church, Cult of Fire, Forteresse, Katharsis... the Ukranian bands... just to name a handful that have upped the anti and have just long since surpassed bands like Marduk and Watain as far as I'm concerned.

I try and stress this kind of thing to people who seem to think Marduk and Watain are the be all of nowadays black metal. Seems to fall on def ears. Maybe those bands just aren't 'meat and potatoes' enough or something.


12 Jan 2018, 13:13
Profile
Metal Guru
User avatar

Joined: 09 Mar 2002, 21:00
Posts: 71511
Location: Ogdenville
Post Re: WATAIN - Trident Wolf Eclipse
Blasphomet wrote:
Exorcist wrote:
Blasphomet wrote:
I listened to Casus Luciferi for the first time in years and on the drive home in the rain and actually enjoyed it more than I remember.

I think sometimes I am too hard on bands like this and Marduk... but man, maybe I'm just spoiled with all the most excellent and more unique and interesting black metal of the past decade that people that love stuff like this seem to ignore for some reason.


Just because you're stoked on one thing doesn't mean you can't be stoked on other things :)


If they are lesser, which they are, it hinders things. :)

Like... bands like Lunar Aurora, Cosmic Church, Cult of Fire... Katharsis... just to name a few are bands that have upped the anti and have just long since surpassed bands like Marduk and Watain as far as I'm concerned.

I try and stress this kind of thing to people who seem to think Marduk and Watain are the be all of nowadays black metal. Seems to fall on def ears. Maybe those bands just aren't 'meat and potatoes' enough or something.


I've never understood people having resistance to new music. If I say that I like Marduk and you offer me up some other bands that I might like, chances are that I'll get to checking them out rather than just getting defensive about why I love Marduk :lol:

_________________
Blackjebus wrote:
Yeah, once you have AIDS you don't have to worry about AIDS anymore. Instead you have to worry about colds.


12 Jan 2018, 13:21
Profile
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 40 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Derk and 19 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Jump to:  


Google
 
Web www.bravewords.com

Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group.
Designed by Vjacheslav Trushkin for Free Forums/DivisionCore.