Post Re: WATAIN - Trident Wolf Eclipse
Doesn't make sense to me either.

12 Jan 2018, 13:22
Metal Guru

Blasphomet wrote:
Exorcist wrote:
Blasphomet wrote:
I listened to Casus Luciferi for the first time in years and on the drive home in the rain and actually enjoyed it more than I remember.

I think sometimes I am too hard on bands like this and Marduk... but man, maybe I'm just spoiled with all the most excellent and more unique and interesting black metal of the past decade that people that love stuff like this seem to ignore for some reason.

Just because you're stoked on one thing doesn't mean you can't be stoked on other things :)

If they are lesser, which they are, it hinders things. :)

Like... bands like Lunar Aurora, Cosmic Church, Cult of Fire, Forteresse, Katharsis... the Ukranian bands... just to name a handful that have upped the anti and have just long since surpassed bands like Marduk and Watain as far as I'm concerned.

I try and stress this kind of thing to people who seem to think Marduk and Watain are the be all of nowadays black metal. Seems to fall on def ears. Maybe those bands just aren't 'meat and potatoes' enough or something.

I can listen to those bands and still appreciate what Marduk on doing on their latest record, which I really really liked. I don't really see why it's such a problem

12 Jan 2018, 15:56
Metal Guru

Jammed it a couple times already since gripping it. I dig the album much like all the others. I feel that The Wild Hunt will always remain my fave. That album had some different elements to it and it worked. I'm not sure that this will fare better than a shit ton of other newer BM bands coming outta Europe right now that I feel are FAR better than Watain, but it's a solid effort nonetheless.

13 Jan 2018, 09:57
Metal Guru

Svarog wrote:
Blasphomet wrote:
Exorcist wrote:
Blasphomet wrote:
I listened to Casus Luciferi for the first time in years and on the drive home in the rain and actually enjoyed it more than I remember.

I think sometimes I am too hard on bands like this and Marduk... but man, maybe I'm just spoiled with all the most excellent and more unique and interesting black metal of the past decade that people that love stuff like this seem to ignore for some reason.

Just because you're stoked on one thing doesn't mean you can't be stoked on other things :)

Like... bands like Lunar Aurora, Cosmic Church, Cult of Fire, Forteresse, Katharsis... the Ukranian bands... just to name a handful that have upped the anti and have just long since surpassed bands like Marduk and Watain as far as I'm concerned.

I try and stress this kind of thing to people who seem to think Marduk and Watain are the be all of nowadays black metal. Seems to fall on def ears. Maybe those bands just aren't 'meat and potatoes' enough or something.

I can listen to those bands and still appreciate what Marduk on doing on their latest record, which I really really liked. I don't really see why it's such a problem

I think the problem is that, for me, BM is probably one of the most adventurous genres out there (and in metal, probably the most adventurous subgenre), and sticking specifically to the parts of the iceberg that are visible to Decibel mag is cheating one's self. (obviously not talking about you)

13 Jan 2018, 10:46
Profile WWW
Metal Guru

I think some people approach bands like Watain and Marduk etc. with an inclination to dismiss it because of the popular coverage, unconsciously bugged by the "why are they so well-known when 958 underground bands/albums are better etc" why is probably natural as we'd expect a correlation between quality and popularity. But to me if it's good it's good. And like Voodoo I think it's a solid effort. Something that cannot be said of say, Satyricon in a long time, if we want a comparison coverage-wise.

To me a bunch of bm that was posted in the albums to check out in 2017 (mostly the "atmospheric" ones) were as average and typical as it gets, heard it all before syndrome all the way. But since some of those are living under rocks in eastern europe it gets a bit more credit than they should if you ask me. Seems like the opposite reaction to what bigger bands get. Not that I want to stir shit, just my opinion. Or maybe I just have different tastes bm-wise.

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=leave+the+hall

13 Jan 2018, 12:30
Metal Guru

ArckAngeLL wrote:
I think some people approach bands like Watain and Marduk etc. with an inclination to dismiss it because of the popular coverage, unconsciously bugged by the "why are they so well-known when 958 underground bands/albums are better etc"

I think if someone approaches music this way, they're a douche.

I stay away from Watain because they're just boring. Marduk is legit though. Saw them last summer and they destroyed.

13 Jan 2018, 14:09
Metal Guru

Some good points made. You can all fuck off. :)

I'm going to listen to Cosmic Church in the car today. The one where he's kneeling in the snow.

13 Jan 2018, 14:36
Metal Guru

It must be a long ride then :)

Edit: As for the OP, I've only heard STTD and liked about half of it. Kinda felt samey after a while. I've been meaning to check out their earlier stuff but it hasn't happened yet.

13 Jan 2018, 15:19
Metal Guru

thelostpatrol wrote:
ArckAngeLL wrote:
I think some people approach bands like Watain and Marduk etc. with an inclination to dismiss it because of the popular coverage, unconsciously bugged by the "why are they so well-known when 958 underground bands/albums are better etc"

I think if someone approaches music this way, they're a douche.

I stay away from Watain because they're just boring. Marduk is legit though. Saw them last summer and they destroyed.

Yeah absolutely. I know it's been a while since it happened, but cleaning house was the best thing to happen to them.

13 Jan 2018, 15:24
Profile WWW
Metal Guru

Feast of Noise wrote:
It must be a long ride then :)

Edit: As for the OP, I've only heard STTD and liked about half of it. Kinda felt samey after a while. I've been meaning to check out their earlier stuff but it hasn't happened yet.

Casus Luciferi is the only mandatory album.

First album has its moment, but it's unpolished but not in a good way. It too rough around the edges and gets borderline death metal at time, but it did set the foundations. Thing is, back then live it made more sense - if you can get your hand on some early live album (like the Stellar Descension Infernal in Budapest, or Black Metal Sacrifice) it carries better.

The song Waters of Ain off Lawless Darkness is a must hear though. Arguably their best song for me along with Stellarvore, even without the Selim Lemouchi (The Devil's Blood) guest solo a the end - the solo is just icing on the cake though. So good. But then I'm a sucker for a cool solo :)

"And so his burning ship departs from these shores
never to return
and so he sets his sail towards the setting sun
at the end of the world"
:guitar:

13 Jan 2018, 17:44
Metal Guru

ARSEFACE. wrote:
Svarog wrote:

I think the problem is that, for me, BM is probably one of the most adventurous genres out there (and in metal, probably the most adventurous subgenre), and sticking specifically to the parts of the iceberg that are visible to Decibel mag is cheating one's self. (obviously not talking about you)

I see BM as you do. I always considered it to be the most artistic and aesthetically compelling subgenre. Guess it came a long way. Hence why it's the metal subgenre I spent so muchtime with and haven't burned out on yet. I think it has to works in a finite frame to be considered as such, but at the same time it allows so much. Even after more than 20 years listening to this genre it continues to surprise me (obviously I'm not taking about Watain here). And the rampant elitism inherent to the genre doesn't bother me because I always consider it as a sign of a genre that is not prone to comprise, which is a quality I often look for in art - even in movies or visual arts. Which makes sense that NSBM came out and not NSDM - it's this absence of compromise, this radical approach that is essential to the genre that spawned this I guess.

But back to your post, that doesn't prevent me from enjoying a Decibel approved band if I enjoy the album :)

To me it's like movies on that regard. Even if objectively, I can have a lot of fun with a 5/10 album/movie and consider another a 9/10 yet cannot listen to/watch it in one sitting.

13 Jan 2018, 18:19
Metal Guru

I think Decibel is a great starting point for people who are still looking at metal with fresh eyes, and want to discover a lot of things that the mainstream will never cover. It's that first layer beyond the surface kind of thing. But after you've completed that stage of exploration, you do have to move beyond.

I really liked your post on this, Arck. Really nails it for me as well.

13 Jan 2018, 18:33
Metal Guru

Blasphomet wrote:
Exorcist wrote:
Blasphomet wrote:

You know my previous reply wasn't aimed at you Blaspho, I was just talking generally.

I don't interact in real life with people into black metal a lot other than people in bands I know so it's not a problem I encounter, but I can see your point and I'd react the same way.

I agree that the bands you name did upped the ante compared to say Marduk - who haven't in my opinion released anything genre-defining or special since Panzer - yet do we expect Marduk to do so? :) They're like the Motorhead or Pro-pain of Black Metal. But we need this too. I wouldn't like my Marduk any different.

But I see your point, I mean why not explore The Ruins of Beverast, mgla, Clandestine Blaze, etc. So much to discover. But as the seasoned bm afficionados that we are, I think we have no problem enjoying an album from newer Darkthone (Arctic Thunder, The Underground Resistance) and an album from say Cripta Oculta.

13 Jan 2018, 19:08
Metal Guru

The drive didn't cover the whole album. There were two left when I pulled back in.

14 Jan 2018, 00:52
Metal Guru

ArckAngeLL wrote:
But back to your post, that doesn't prevent me from enjoying a Decibel approved band if I enjoy the album :)

Absolutely; I mean, you're takling to a guy who will happily bump Charli XCX given the chance, I'm not saying one should shun mainstream bands, but should be adventurous, because the rewards are high in this subgenre. :)

17 Jan 2018, 12:03
Profile WWW