It is currently 19 Oct 2018, 07:19

Any quality music books lately? 
Headbanger

Post Any quality music books lately?
Read the Bruce Dickinson and was pretty disappointed with it since not much music dirt in it. Got my eye on the Wayne Kramer and the Kk book sounds amusing from all that I see in the board. Any out this year that you would recommend?

15 Oct 2018, 18:55
Metal Guru

Post Re: Any quality music books lately?
Last one I read was Lita Ford’s book. Lots of dirt in it, really paints Tony Iommi in a bad light :o :(

15 Oct 2018, 19:20
Metal Guru

currently reading the recent Faith No More book,excellent comprehensive read.

gonna get the new Beastie Boys book that comes out at the end of the month next.

Martin Popoff just released an Alice Cooper book and has one on Maiden coming out in the next few weeks.the guy is putting out books faster than I can keep up. :lol:

15 Oct 2018, 19:45
Metal Guru

Location: St. Catharines, Ontario, Canada, Earth, Solar System, Orion Spur, Milky Way, Virgo Supercluster
I read "For the Sake of Heaviness: The History of Metal Blade Records" (2017) last month. It was a quick read, but holy shit, I wish that book went on forever. Great stories and an incredible history of that label. Definitely worth picking up. Written by Brian Slagel - the founder of Metal Blade.

I'm currently reading "The Show that Never Ends: The Rise and Fall of Prog Rock" (2017) which I'm enjoying right now. It's written by David Weigel, a journalist from the Washington Post. It goes through the history of prog rock - from its beginnings into the heyday of the seventies. I'm currently breaching the eighties with it. It was a dry start to the book, but by the third chapter it picks right up and I found myself really enjoying the depth of his research.

Another book I'd recommend is "Black Metal: Evolution of the Cult" (2013) by Dayal Patterson - an in-depth historical analysis on the formation of black metal with a forward-thinking approach on where it's heading next.

For a more straight-forward book on heavy metal, I'd suggest "Louder Than Hell: The Definitive Oral History of Metal" (2014) which compiles interviews from bands, producers, roadies, etc, and creates what the book title says - an oral history of heavy metal. There were some neat little anecdotes in the book ranging anywhere from Rush to Motley Crue, to Metallica and Fear Factory. It's kind of all over the place.

Website My book Twitter Instagrim

Image Image
Metal_King wrote:
Sorry, I don't have a shit fetish.

15 Oct 2018, 20:15
Profile WWW
Metal Guru

I enjoy Dayal's books, including the smaller sequels to Evolution of the Cult. His latest book is the history of Rotting Christ, written with Sakis Tolis. But I didn't care for Louder than Hell, the several times I looked at it at Barnes & Noble. It seemed to be full of trash talking and seediness, rather than useful information.

I'm not a big AC/DC fan, but I bought the recent biography of Bon Scott for my friend Odinn, and he really enjoyed it.

I'm currently reading The Devil's Cradle: The Story of Finnish Black Metal, and learning a lot from it. I'm also discovering new-to-me bands to check out.

16 Oct 2018, 01:02
Metal Guru

Location: St. Catharines, Ontario, Canada, Earth, Solar System, Orion Spur, Milky Way, Virgo Supercluster
Speelie wrote:
But I didn't care for Louder than Hell, the several times I looked at it at Barnes & Noble. It seemed to be full of trash talking and seediness, rather than useful information.

That's a fair assessment of the book. I still felt it was a light read that sheds some light on the music scene in LA and shares some interesting band stories.

Website My book Twitter Instagrim

Image Image
Metal_King wrote:
Sorry, I don't have a shit fetish.

16 Oct 2018, 06:17
Profile WWW
Metal Guru

Quote:
For a more straight-forward book on heavy metal, I'd suggest "Louder Than Hell: The Definitive Oral History of Metal" (2014) which compiles interviews from bands, producers, roadies, etc, and creates what the book title says - an oral history of heavy metal. There were some neat little anecdotes in the book ranging anywhere from Rush to Motley Crue, to Metallica and Fear Factory. It's kind of all over the place.

Good one. I remember reading this one on speed in about 2 days.

Currently on Frederic delavier last book and Oscar Wilde is next. Music wise i think i'll go with the Nergal book

https://bandcamp.com/monos4
https://grandaltarofsatanicwintergoats1.bandcamp.com/

16 Oct 2018, 11:05
Metal Guru

Monos wrote:
Music wise i think i'll go with the Nergal book

I might need to re-read it, but I didn't care for his book very much at all. It felt like it was just page after page of Nergal sucking his own cock.

16 Oct 2018, 11:08
Metal Guru

Exorcist wrote:
Monos wrote:

I might need to re-read it, but I didn't care for his book very much at all. It felt like it was just page after page of Nergal sucking his own cock.

Really? I might reconsider so

https://bandcamp.com/monos4
https://grandaltarofsatanicwintergoats1.bandcamp.com/

16 Oct 2018, 11:09
Metal Guru

Check out the Noise Records book (Damn the Machine) if you haven't already, it's an awesome read.

The KK book is pretty interesting but the summation is that he basically hates Glenn Tipton.

Got the new Popoff Maiden book on the way but am kind of expecting it to be a regurgitation of his other Maiden books.

16 Oct 2018, 11:32
Metal Guru

Monos wrote:
Exorcist wrote:
Monos wrote:

Really? I might reconsider so

I thought so, yeah. The book just felt like one giant case of verbal diarrhea for the sole purpose of feeding his ego. I haven't read any other reviews, though, so I'd read up on it a bit before taking my word for it.

16 Oct 2018, 12:35
Metal Guru

oceanmachine wrote:
Read the Bruce Dickinson and was pretty disappointed with it since not much music dirt in it.

That's actually what I liked the most about it. :lol:

16 Oct 2018, 12:43
Metal Guru

oceanmachine wrote:
Read the Bruce Dickinson and was pretty disappointed with it since not much music dirt in it. Got my eye on the Wayne Kramer and the Kk book sounds amusing from all that I see in the board. Any out this year that you would recommend?

Did you know Bruce is a pilot :) :) :) He only tells you about it a 10000 times :)

16 Oct 2018, 14:51
Headbanger

Klschmann wrote:
Check out the Noise Records book (Damn the Machine) if you haven't already, it's an awesome read.

The KK book is pretty interesting but the summation is that he basically hates Glenn Tipton.

Got the new Popoff Maiden book on the way but am kind of expecting it to be a regurgitation of his other Maiden books.

The Noise book is really good. I liked the KK biography, and that's a good one line summary. He also kind of hates Maiden.
I was surprised at the lack of communication within the Priest camp. He says he basically never reallly knew Tipton - eventhough they spent 30 years in the same banda and even for vacation alone for a month-, knew the bare minimum of Halford's personal life and was surprised when he went in rehab, etc. I didn't know that Dave Holland quit, I always thought he was fired.
KK doesn't seem to be a happy man, overall.

16 Oct 2018, 16:36
Headbanger

jermeister wrote:
oceanmachine wrote:

Did you know Bruce is a pilot :) :) :) He only tells you about it a 10000 times :)

I hear he likes fencing also! :)

17 Oct 2018, 18:55
Metal Guru

I read a Slayer bio last year. It was terribly written but great content otherwise. Learned a lot about them.

18 Oct 2018, 19:45