It is currently 25 May 2018, 15:14

Discovering new music and aging 
Metal Guru

Post Discovering new music and aging
I was reading an online study today, and it says the average person stops looking for new music at around the age of 32-35. I am 32, and turn 33 in two weeks.

I was discussing with my guitar teacher about this not long ago. He is in his early 50s, and Avenged Sevenfold (yes, I know, most people here hate them with a passion) is one of his favorite bands. They didn't release their debut until the early 2000s, and he was beyond that age range at the time. He has come across people who only listen to what they grew up with in other genres, such as country; they'll listen to old school country, but won't touch more recent country with a ten foot pole. I am sure you'll meet people whose preferences lean towards jazz or rap who fall into this category, too.

I doubt it's a genre specific thing, but I was talking to some other metalheads on another board I used to post at years ago, and he had recently been talking to metalheads he knew from high school and college. Most, if not all, people he knew who were into metal when they were growing up still listen to at least some metal, but only the stuff they grew up with. None of them knew anything about what was going on with the world of metal at that time, and even the bands they grew up worshipping, they haven't heard their newer albums, and have no desire to do so. I have no idea if these people listen to newer music in other genres (he didn't say), but in metal, they'll listen only to what they grew up with. (In the cases of some bands, they're better off not knowing what happened, but many of them who are still putting out albums have released some great new music in recent years.)

I wonder if this is why at the local shows by bands that aren't bands who've been around forever, I almost never see people over their 30s? For example, there is a guy who I have seen at stores who I have never introduced myself to, but he is about 60 and I have seen him wearing shirts of Arch Enemy, Megadeth, and Pantera. He would probably have been in his late 30s/early 40s when Arch Enemy released their debut. Yet I've never seen him at the local shows. I have heard people say that they get uncomfortable being around certain crowds, yet the vast majority of metal shows not involving bigger names (Iron Maiden, Metallica, etc.) are 18+/19+/21+, or whatever the drinking age in the area is. But when I have seen more famous bands who've been around for longer, such as Slayer, Judas Priest, etc., I've seen tons of people in their 40s and 50s at their shows.

I can't see myself, when I'm 60 (if I live to be that old, LOL), not wanting to discover new metal bands. Or discover some bands from the past (and/or what is now present) that I may have missed. I listen to largely 80s thrash and 90s death metal, but there's a lot of new stuff I love now. I plan on attending shows (if they come here) by metal bands, whether they be newer bands or older bands when I'm a senior citizen.

Of course, a lot of people when they're 32-35 are parents, and raising children takes away from their time to check out newer bands, or even new releases by bands they regularly listen to. Of course, I'm single, and not a parent, so I do have the time to look more into new bands. Then again, I know people who were parents in their early 20s who still looked into checking out new music. They would be about my age currently, so I have no idea if they'll stop or if they'll continue.

For those of you here, do any of the metalheads you grew up with listen to newer bands, or even the newer albums by the old guard, or do they just stick with what metal albums they grew up with?

Last edited by Required Fields on 16 May 2018, 09:04, edited 2 times in total.

16 May 2018, 08:58
Metal Guru

Post Re: Discovering new music and aging
I'll respond to this when I'm high later.

16 May 2018, 08:59
Metal Guru

i've absolutely slowed down looking for new bands since i've hit 40. can't see ever stopping completely or no longer caring about new bands but there's been an undeniable drop off.

16 May 2018, 09:07
Metal Guru

I'm 37 and I've hunted down more new music in the last couple of years than I have in probably 15 years.

I think it's more of an age thing than a genre thing. You'll find those musically lazy people by their battle cry of "music sucks now". No. Music does not suck now. You got old, fat and lazy. If somebody can't find new music that gets them off in the internet age, that's because of the person, not the quality of music in the world.

If you want a sad, pathetic sight, just go see one of those summer package tours of 80s hair bands and check out the weekend warriors who stopped paying attention to new music after high school. If I ever become that, please kick my ass.

16 May 2018, 09:08
Metal Guru

I'm 37 and I've nver stopped looking for new music. I don't see myself stopping anytime soon. And it also hasn't been confined to just Metal either. Always working on Jazz, Noise, Ambient, experimental/avantgarde, (real) Industrial, Military Pop/Industrial, Breakcore, Drum n Bass, Speedcore, Vaporwave, Punkrock, early electronics, contemporary Classical music.....

16 May 2018, 09:09
Metal Guru

I check out more new music/bands/artists now than ever? Maybe it’s because with stuff like Spotify and YouTube, I can listen to a lot more stuff and easily discover other things without having to worry about money being an issue for the most part.

16 May 2018, 09:11
Metal Guru

The internet has been a blessing and a curse. These days it takes a lot more work to find new music that I like. All the good music is more difficult to find through all the extraneous terrible shit I need to wade through to find it. It never used to be this hard in the 70s, 80s and 90s.

I just have less and less time for it, so when I want to listen to music, I am more likely to listen to something I KNOW I love.

16 May 2018, 09:36
Metal Guru

I can definitely tell I've slowed down. I'm 37, and it's been slowing for the past 5 years for sure. My biggest period of growth was from about 17 to 30, I think.

Problem is there's so much new shit that it gets tiring trying to keep up with it all.

Burst Command Til War wrote:
You are never allowed in my house.

16 May 2018, 09:39
Profile ICQ WWW
Metal Guru

Thanks to Rocky, Anhur, Voodoo & about a half dozen more of you, this 50 year old discovers new bands weekly.

16 May 2018, 09:40
Metal Guru

DapperDan wrote:
I'll respond to this when I'm high later.

+1

16 May 2018, 09:57
Profile WWW
Metal Guru

Over 50, always looking for new music.
8)

16 May 2018, 10:04
Metal Guru

Been checking out new stuff since forever with no sign of stopping anytime soon.

If you're fine and comfortable with what you already know, then more power to you. Some people get off listening to music that takes them back, some people get off being amazed at new sounds.

16 May 2018, 10:18
MetalHead

I listen and look for new bands all the time, keeps music going and better all the time although nothing will beat the classics

16 May 2018, 10:19
Metal Guru

I always avoided wading through all the shit myself and focused more on the lists of good new music of people and publications I trust. That's the main reason I'm on this board, for example. I've not so much slowed in recent years as simply expanded my interests to include many non-metal and non-music endeavors.

And then be a reflection of their loss

16 May 2018, 10:22
Metal Guru

I'm 46 and buy at least 3-4 new albums a week.

Almost all of bands I have no idea who they are.

I'm constantly listening to music outside my normal Metal comfort zones now, more than ever.

BUT, this is because I prioritize music over almost everything else. I have music playing constantly all day long.

And I think it comes down to priorities, as someone alluded to earlier in the thread. If your job is your priority, and you can't easily listen to the music you want to at work, then I believe you'll tend to listen to stuff you know you like to "wind down" at the end of the day or weekend. This would preclude you from looking for new music.

16 May 2018, 11:28
Metal Guru

Always questing, never gonna stop.

16 May 2018, 11:31
Metal Guru

Clad In Shadows wrote:
I can definitely tell I've slowed down. I'm 37, and it's been slowing for the past 5 years for sure. My biggest period of growth was from about 17 to 30, I think.

Problem is there's so much new shit that it gets tiring trying to keep up with it all.

This, plus when you're in your teens, you have a lot of disposable time. Not so much in your thirties.

I'm still looking for new bands all the time, but I don't have the time to sit at my computer and devote hours to it like I used to.

EDIT: I think it also speaks to how passionate they are about the music. If they like metal (or whatever genre), they'll probably find what they like and stick to it. But I think someone who's more passionate about it will make the time to keep up with newer stuff, even if it isn't as much time as it used to be.

16 May 2018, 11:32
Profile ICQ
Metal Guru

I’d say I found 4-5 artists I really like in the last 5-10 years.
Personnally, music I like has to hit me emotionally at just the right spot for me to get into an artist. I guess that is why I tend to go back to my old records, since many of them connect to that sweet spot for various reasons (period of my life, single moment, person, etc.)
It still happens, but not as often as before, and not necessarily with metal.
I’ve tried many times in the last years to give the Braveboard year end list albums a shot and it usually ends up with a « meh.. »
I get the musicianship and quality of the recordings, but usually it’s not enough.

16 May 2018, 11:42
Metal Guru

Rocky Dennis wrote:

Damn straight. This shit is my hobby.

Big Metal Dude wrote:
fālsëpøsê.

Rocky Dennis wrote:
Manowar calls, you fucking answer. No excuses, no regrets. Hail and Kill.

16 May 2018, 11:55
Metal Guru

Rocky Dennis wrote:

https://bandcamp.com/monos4
https://grandaltarofsatanicwintergoats1.bandcamp.com/

16 May 2018, 12:04
Metal Guru

I'm always getting new stuff. It's certainly "needle in a haystack" these days though, like Jebus said it's both a blessing and a curse. It has given anyone with more computer skills than musical skills a way to let everyone hear what they've made. In a way though it makes finding those needles that much more rewarding. I still like to buy stuff online blindly just for that old feeling of discovery.

The problem with old bands is that more often than not, anything they release now isn't half as good as what they used to make. New bands are hungry and angry. Old bands are fat and happy. Hunger and anger make good art. And addicts.

16 May 2018, 13:13
Metal Guru

Blackjebus wrote:

I just have less and less time for it, so when I want to listen to music, I am more likely to listen to something I KNOW I love.

This sums it up for me. Time is precious :idea: 8)

16 May 2018, 14:38
Metal Guru

57 and still on the hunt

16 May 2018, 14:47
Metal Guru

Location: Ottawa (the city that fun forgot but don't tell the bands that)
Since I normally review new bands as a hobby it's difficult to suddenly say I've given up on new music at 43. I still have my core preferences but over time I've found that I've expanded my tastes a bit more from what I normally listen to. And I'd say that blues makes up a lot of my new listening pleasures as of late.

16 May 2018, 14:50
Metal Guru

Thanks to Youtube :) :)I'm always finding new bands to listen to :cheers: :cheers:
I'll never stop finding new bands :) :) :)

16 May 2018, 14:52