It is currently 22 Jan 2018, 22:49

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 163 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Rob Flynn throws a hissy fit 
Metal Guru

Post Re: Rob Flynn throws a hissy fit
thelostpatrol wrote:
I can get behind giving a band a good shot despite some shenanigans but I lose all interest when the shit the band does outside of the music is so obnoxious that it overshadows any potential enjoyment of the material. Especially here, where the material is already "okay at best" and not much more.

Saying BME is their best album, while true, is basically saying they were at their best when they were following that trend and not another one. Hard pass on this type of band from me.

I get what you're saying about BME, but nobody was getting on Flynn about that shit when it came out. He was just a dude from Vio-Lence that was releasing some new material. That album is very definitive of the 90s for me. Just a killer effort all around. IMO, the trend-hopping really started with The Burning Red. Taking such a hard left turn to jump on the nu-wagon was terribly obvious and that band lost a shit ton of their fanbase because of it. Yes, they gained a ton of newer, younger nu-dorks that pretty much have stuck with them throughout their pathetic, fake-ass career. the old guard of metalheads was hell and gone at that point as far as I'm concerned.

I'll always stand up for BME because even though it's sound is indicative of the 90s it really is an awesome album. Don't feel as if they were jumping any trends at that point, although the argument that you make about it is certainly viable.

01 Jan 2018, 12:47
Metal Guru

voodoo dust wrote:
thelostpatrol wrote:
I can get behind giving a band a good shot despite some shenanigans but I lose all interest when the shit the band does outside of the music is so obnoxious that it overshadows any potential enjoyment of the material. Especially here, where the material is already "okay at best" and not much more.

Saying BME is their best album, while true, is basically saying they were at their best when they were following that trend and not another one. Hard pass on this type of band from me.

I get what you're saying about BME, but nobody was getting on Flynn about that shit when it came out. He was just a dude from Vio-Lence that was releasing some new material. That album is very definitive of the 90s for me. Just a killer effort all around. IMO, the trend-hopping really started with The Burning Red. Taking such a hard left turn to jump on the nu-wagon was terribly obvious and that band lost a shit ton of their fanbase because of it. Yes, they gained a ton of newer, younger nu-dorks that pretty much have stuck with them throughout their pathetic, fake-ass career. the old guard of metalheads was hell and gone at that point as far as I'm concerned.

I'll always stand up for BME because even though it's sound is indicative of the 90s it really is an awesome album. Don't feel as if they were jumping any trends at that point, although the argument that you make about it is certainly viable.

Everybody was doing something like Burn My Eyes at that time, and Pantera were not even the reason why. Was happening to all the old thrash bands, slower and more groove was the order of the day. Hard to single Flynn out, especially when he was better at it than most.

01 Jan 2018, 12:51
Metal Guru

Anhur wrote:
voodoo dust wrote:
thelostpatrol wrote:

Everybody was doing something like Burn My Eyes at that time, and Pantera were not even the reason why. Was happening to all the old thrash bands, slower and more groove was the order of the day. Hard to single Flynn out, especially when he was better at it than most.

You're right. Hell, Forbidden, Sacred Reich, Sepultura, Overkill, etc. The list goes on and on. So many older thrash bands that were recording albums in that style. Flynn did it the best at that point.

01 Jan 2018, 12:54
Metal Guru

voodoo dust wrote:
thelostpatrol wrote:

I have no beef with that album or the second one, really. But when it became clear that this was just a short term thing because the band was more interested in keeping up with trends, that's when I stopped paying attention. And then when the guy started mouthing off in the press about this and that... that pretty much sealed the deal for me.

01 Jan 2018, 12:56
Metal Guru

thelostpatrol wrote:
voodoo dust wrote:
thelostpatrol wrote:

I have no beef with that album or the second one, really. But when it became clear that this was just a short term thing because the band was more interested in keeping up with trends, that's when I stopped paying attention. And then when the guy started mouthing off in the press about this and that... that pretty much sealed the deal for me.

His obnoxious bullshit and shitty albums were a one-two punch that killed any interest I had in that band forever. Dude is such a bitch. Hard to believe he was the same guy on Eternal Nightmare and Oppressing the Masses. Sheesh.

01 Jan 2018, 12:59
Metal Guru

Played the hell out of Burn My Eyes when I first got it. Still probably enjoy it, especially the drumming, but I'm OK with never hearing it again because Rob Flynn is such an insufferable tool.

01 Jan 2018, 13:54
Headbanger

I loved the first two albums back in the day, and I still think they're good. In hindsight, Machine Head may have been chasing trends somewhat on those albums, but it certainly didn't feel that way at the time. Like someone else said, it was just a new project and didn't feel insincere.

Burning Red is where it all changed for me. That album felt like a betrayal. I dropped Machine Head after that and ignored them entirely until The Blackening was released. I kept hearing great things about it, so I checked it out. The Blackening was surprisingly good, and I actually like it for what it is...BUT, I can't shake the feeling that it's all "fake." The nu-metal well had dried up, and Machine Head came crawling back to "regular" metal fans. Supposedly, Unto the Locust is just as good of an album, but I never bothered with it. When something feels fake, I have a hard time going "all in" when listening to it.

To sum it up, I like the first two albums, but I doubt that they can ever do anything to win me over again. The changing of styles and Flynn's general attitude have killed it for me.

01 Jan 2018, 16:06
Metal Guru

I love the first album, and saw them in support of it. The second album was alright, kind of a less good version of Burn My Eyes, but respectable. I had seen them a couple of more times prior to The Burning Red though, and they were at their best live. So much so, that I still went and saw them in support of the Burning Red, even though I hated that fucking album. It was such a shit show that I was just plain done with them after that. Gross old thrash guys with bleached hair hopping around in tacky track suits. Well, fuck me twice I guess. I happened to see them headline a festival in support of Through the Ashes of Empires, and they smoked again. Played maybe 2 tunes from the two shit albums and the new material was good. I got back on board. Bought Ashes, liked more than half of it, loved The Blackening. After that though shit stared getting really dull, and Flynn started running his stupid mouth, and quickly started saying things that marked him as a giant attention whoring tool bag. So, now the guy's a dipshit, and his current music is dull, I checked out again. This new stuff though, wow. It's not just dull, it's actively embarrassing. Done with them forever as a current band, but I am sure I will still return to Burn My Eyes and maybe The Blackening again. Albums are good, and I can separate them from the jackass.

01 Jan 2018, 21:41
Metal Guru

i am honestly shocked so many people here know so much about this band and even like an album.

Big Metal Dude wrote:
fālsëpøsê.

Rocky Dennis wrote:
Manowar calls, you fucking answer. No excuses, no regrets. Hail and Kill.

01 Jan 2018, 22:03
Metal Guru

deathstalker wrote:
i am honestly shocked so many people here know so much about this band and even like an album.

If you were listening to metal when the first album came out, than you probably liked it. If you saw them live before the Burning Red came out you probably liked them a lot. Lots of people on this board are in the right age range to meet that criteria. You are too, but if I recall you were more of a hardcore punk fan until pretty late in the 90's. Keeping up on it at this point is a little bit like rubbernecking at an accident.

01 Jan 2018, 22:10
Metal Guru

Anhur wrote:
deathstalker wrote:

If you were listening to metal when the first album came out, than you probably liked it. If you saw them live before the Burning Red came out you probably liked them a lot. Lots of people on this board are in the right age range to meet that criteria. You are too, but if I recall you were more of a hardcore punk fan until pretty late in the 90's. Keeping up on it at this point is a little bit like rubbernecking at an accident.

you may be right. but after listening to about 10 minutes of the first album that people like, i vomited out of my dick.

Big Metal Dude wrote:
fālsëpøsê.

Rocky Dennis wrote:
Manowar calls, you fucking answer. No excuses, no regrets. Hail and Kill.

01 Jan 2018, 23:06
Metal Guru

You came? Glad you liked it.

02 Jan 2018, 00:18
Headbanger

Anhur wrote:
deathstalker wrote:

If you were listening to metal when the first album came out, than you probably liked it. If you saw them live before the Burning Red came out you probably liked them a lot. Lots of people on this board are in the right age range to meet that criteria.

Yep. I saw them tour for The More Things Change, and I liked them a lot. :)

02 Jan 2018, 01:17
Metal Guru

Deathstalker-- you really need to check out Skinlab and Pissing Razors-- they will be right in your wheelhouse.

02 Jan 2018, 05:16
Metal Guru

"Burn my Eyes" is better than most music praised here.

They lost a lot when Kontos left, although I really liked McClain in Sacred Reich.

02 Jan 2018, 10:05
Metal Guru

zekeyou wrote:
Deathstalker-- you really need to check out Skinlab and Pissing Razors-- they will be right in your wheelhouse.

:roll:

02 Jan 2018, 10:25
Metal Guru

Rottenrocker wrote:
Machine Head is a classic album from Deep Purple. That's all I need to know.

https://bandcamp.com/monos4
https://grandaltarofsatanicwintergoats1.bandcamp.com/

02 Jan 2018, 10:59
Metal Guru

Rocky Dennis wrote:

This girl is Hot AF and worth like 18 loads in the face.

02 Jan 2018, 12:20
Metal Guru

She's a UFC fighter too so she'd smash your buckethead in.
Edit: At least I think she's Paige VanZant

02 Jan 2018, 12:47
Metal Guru

Anhur wrote:
voodoo dust wrote:
thelostpatrol wrote:

To be honest, you can hear where the groove metal/post-thrash sound Flynn is most famous for was starting to develop on the last Vio-lence album, Nothing to Gain. It was released in 1993, when thrash was pretty much starting to become dormant, but was recorded in 1991, before Pantera's breakthrough album, Vulgar Display of Power. A few tracks on that album are not all that far removed from Machine Head stylistcally.

02 Jan 2018, 14:48
Metal Guru

DaTroof wrote:
JCVD is always great when he dances

LOOOOL

02 Jan 2018, 16:21
Metal Guru

Alabama_ThunderFetus wrote:
DaTroof wrote:
JCVD is always great when he dances

LOOOOL

That little bit where he quasi-air guitars combined with that double humping, those are MOVES!

03 Jan 2018, 09:47
Metal Guru

Required Fields wrote:
Anhur wrote:
voodoo dust wrote:
thelostpatrol wrote:

To be honest, you can hear where the groove metal/post-thrash sound Flynn is most famous for was starting to develop on the last Vio-lence album, Nothing to Gain. It was released in 1993, when thrash was pretty much starting to become dormant, but was recorded in 1991, before Pantera's breakthrough album, Vulgar Display of Power. A few tracks on that album are not all that far removed from Machine Head stylistcally.

Agreed.

03 Jan 2018, 11:20
Metal Guru

I still listen to Burn My Eyes, The More Things Change, and select tracks from The Burning Red, Through the Ashes of Empires and The Blackening quite a bit, but I've probably given this band more chances than they deserve considering the equal amount of poor material and my distaste for Robb's constant attention seeking.

Sanctuary - The Year the Sun Died
Audrey Horne - Blackout
Watain - Trident Wolf Eclipse
Neurosis - Times of Grace

03 Jan 2018, 13:27
Metal Guru

Headquake wrote:
She's a UFC fighter too so she'd smash your buckethead in.
Edit: At least I think she's Paige VanZant

It is, and if she was taking 18 of my loads in her face she'd either be dead already or alive and totally down, so she would never smash my buckethead.

03 Jan 2018, 18:27
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 163 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next