It is currently 21 Feb 2018, 21:42

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 1228 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43 ... 50  Next
 Random Metal Thoughts - Epica Vespa Edition 
Metal Guru

Post Re: Random Metal Thoughts - Epica Vespa Edition
Rook wrote:
I wasted a number of good years not wearing nylons :(

I hear ya my friend

16 Jan 2018, 12:32
Metal Guru

So far... kinda weird what are considered around here to be the best albums post-90... in my opinion.

16 Jan 2018, 13:49
Metal Guru

To the surprise of fucking no one

16 Jan 2018, 15:36
Metal Guru

should have submitted a list

Malevolent_Croatian wrote:
half the time it feels like he's setting the mood to sell me a persian rug.

16 Jan 2018, 15:42
Metal Guru

Rook wrote:
should have submitted a list

But I'm just... one man.

16 Jan 2018, 18:12
Metal Guru

A dangerously catchy pop song from Norway's WigWam. They were kind of like Norway's answer to Steel Panther before there was a Steel Panther.

The Best Song in the World

17 Jan 2018, 12:56
Metal Guru

Xerxes wrote:
A dangerously catchy pop song from Norway's WigWam. They were kind of like Norway's answer to Steel Panther before there was a Steel Panther.

The Best Song in the World

That was fun....I'll have to look them up.

Thanks

:cheers:

Holo

18 Jan 2018, 00:02
Metal Guru

To further piss off the board's black metal population, I keep meeting black metal fans I wouldn't define as metalheads at all. They don't listen to Sabbath, Maiden, Dio, Megadeth, Motorhead, none of it. All they listen to is black metal or black metal derivatives. "Priest? That's the band that put out Turbo right? Turbo ghey is more like." What's worse, they are, seemingly without exception, a bunch of toxic, malcontented man-children who I can't imagine socializing without that comfortable cloak of anonymity.

If they'd only catch something and die, the average IQ of the metal community would go up by 12 points, minimum.

18 Jan 2018, 02:12
Metal Guru

It's not only BM however. It's a generational thing and has to do with musical socialization. There's a whole generation that started out getting into extreme Metal in the 90s and just went from there. I would even count myself among those with the exception that I got into the classics for historical reasons and just hapened to like a lot of it. When you started with CC, MA, etc. Priest, Maiden etc. just come across like hard rock. There's a rift during the 90s, and it actually goes both ways, the current polls illustrate it nicely: there's also a generation of older Metal fans that basically stopped listening to new stuff along the way. They have terrible taste because they still hype up a new, mediocre release by their aging heros from the 80s and just eat up whatever the quasi-majors serve up.
You can't expect the “youngsters“ (who are closing in on their 40s by now!) to do their historical Metal homework, while at the same time being musically stuck somewhere in the past.
It also has to do with Metal being an aging genre. These phenomena are nothing new or special for much older genres like Jazz, which is at least a hundred years old by now.

:)

EDIT: Are there any BM bands you can appreciate? Which ones might those be?

18 Jan 2018, 07:02
Metal Guru

Xerxes wrote:
To further piss off the board's black metal population, I keep meeting black metal fans I wouldn't define as metalheads at all. They don't listen to Sabbath, Maiden, Dio, Megadeth, Motorhead, none of it. All they listen to is black metal or black metal derivatives. "Priest? That's the band that put out Turbo right? Turbo ghey is more like." What's worse, they are, seemingly without exception, a bunch of toxic, malcontented man-children who I can't imagine socializing without that comfortable cloak of anonymity.

If they'd only catch something and die, the average IQ of the metal community would go up by 12 points, minimum.

Why would that piss of this board's 'black metal population'? There are stubborn morons in all circles of life and music.

The people who post here that love black metal and listen to it more than other (sub)genres are the people who have the most vast variety of musical appreciation and taste, be it rap, reggae, new wave, punk, pop, classical, 'classic' rock, folk, country, etc... So I'm curious who here you are speaking of exactly, and why it would piss them off that wherever it is you are (online or off) you run into one dimensional black metal fans.

I could be wrong in that opinion of your musical tastes though. I can't even think of who your favourite bands are or anything... you just seem to post random youtube videos you find. I'm not wrong in my assessment of the board's black metal fans though.

18 Jan 2018, 12:50
Metal Guru

Blasphomet wrote:
because as far as I ever see, it's the older members who worship 'traditional' metal that rip on other styles of music like rap and death metal and black metal and like... 90's bands out of Seattle and shit.

This is also a tendency I see. A lot of older Metal fans stopped listening to most new Metal releases sometime in the early 90s, and only listen to boring and uninspired new releases of the old 80s bands, while at the same time trying to be elitist about their extremely narrow music taste. I can't believe how some older people just dismiss bands because they have "cookie monster" vocals. By now they're missing out on like 70 percent of what Metal is all about, and try to tell me that I'm not even a Metal fan because I prefer BM? Dude, I own all of the classics you so revere and most Blazebirth Hall releases, get on my level, if anything it's those old farts that basically quit Metal that are not really Metalheads anymore :lol:

It's like that one poster here (forgot who it was, sorry), who happily proclaimed: "Bring on those fresh 2018 releases! Saxon! Judas Priest!"
- fresh 2018 releases
- Saxon, JP
choose one :lol:

Or some of those older Metalheads in those polls we're doing right now. Absolutely clueless about some of the most basic, entry level Metal bands, like COB. Not even a COB fan here, but come on. I did my homework as a latecomer, you do yours!

In defense of those older Metal fans: I do realize that modern extreme Metal has almost nothing in common anymore with classic, traditional Metal. They might as well be different genres.

18 Jan 2018, 13:13
Metal Guru

I don't really know shit about Children of Bodom either other than I thought their music was annoying and I had that confirmed when I saw them as a support act one time.

So I can't make it band-by-band thing. It's a 'music as a whole' thing for me, which is why I am constantly confused by the outlook of certain members of this board when it comes to the 'black metal fans' here. Honestly... the 'black metal fans' listen to much more music that the 'non black metal' fans. Or at least, they share and talk about it a fuck of a lot more.

But I think it's because if we don't like your shit prog metal or annoying wank tech death then it's because we love black metal and that obviously means only black metal. :lol:

18 Jan 2018, 13:28
Metal Guru

COB was only one example. Devin Townsend/Hypocrisy could be another. If you haven't heard a single note of Devin Townsends/Peter Tägtgrens many many projects, where have you been as a Metal fan these last 20, fuck it , even 30 (!!!) years?

18 Jan 2018, 13:33
Metal Guru

Yeah but again... I'm treating xerxes comment as a 'music' thing. Not a 'band-to-band' thing. Ignoring certain bands is one thing, but ignoring or commenting on entire genres as another. I'm just curious about his opinion on the 'black metal population' of the board, and why he holds it incorrectly.

Maybe I misunderstood him. Maybe he knows that the BM population is the most varied is musical taste... so the fact the people's he's met that are so one dimensional would bug us because we'd think it's unfortunate.

I don't think that's what he meant though. The history of the board suggests otherwise.

18 Jan 2018, 13:38
Metal Guru

I should like The Drip more than I do, but they remind me so much of Aborted that I can't get the comparison out of my head whenever I listen to The Drip.

18 Jan 2018, 15:51
Metal Guru

DaTroof wrote:
It's not only BM however. It's a generational thing and has to do with musical socialization. There's a whole generation that started out getting into extreme Metal in the 90s and just went from there. I would even count myself among those with the exception that I got into the classics for historical reasons and just hapened to like a lot of it. When you started with CC, MA, etc. Priest, Maiden etc. just come across like hard rock. There's a rift during the 90s, and it actually goes both ways, the current polls illustrate it nicely: there's also a generation of older Metal fans that basically stopped listening to new stuff along the way. They have terrible taste because they still hype up a new, mediocre release by their aging heros from the 80s and just eat up whatever the quasi-majors serve up.
You can't expect the “youngsters“ (who are closing in on their 40s by now!) to do their historical Metal homework, while at the same time being musically stuck somewhere in the past.
It also has to do with Metal being an aging genre. These phenomena are nothing new or special for much older genres like Jazz, which is at least a hundred years old by now.

As a SUPER youngster, (just turned 19, been listening to metal maybe 5 years?) "Metal homework" is such a good term. There was a thread a while back about "classic albums you've never listened to" and there was (is) so much I have yet to listen to because I'm preoccupied with newer releases and newer genres that I just like more. The only Black Sabbath album I've ever heard in full is Heaven and Hell, only heard Ace Of Spades by Motorhead. Never listened to a full Dio album either. Does this make me a "fake" metalhead? Well I sure don't think so. I mean I love the albums I've heard by those older bands and I appreciate their legacy and when they're on I don't hate it or talk shit, I would just rather listen to one of the thousands of other bands that has released music since then.

Exorcist wrote:
I should like The Drip more than I do, but they remind me so much of Aborted that I can't get the comparison out of my head whenever I listen to The Drip.

Fuckin love the drip. Great live too.

Reigning Blood wrote:
No excuse. I'm old enough to be ninja's degenerate grandad

Rook wrote:
Get me a time machine so I can not care about this band in the past too

18 Jan 2018, 16:00
Metal Guru

Ninjazula wrote:
DaTroof wrote:

As a SUPER youngster, (just turned 19, been listening to metal maybe 5 years?) "Metal homework" is such a good term. There was a thread a while back about "classic albums you've never listened to" and there was (is) so much I have yet to listen to because I'm preoccupied with newer releases and newer genres that I just like more. The only Black Sabbath album I've ever heard in full is Heaven and Hell, only heard Ace Of Spades by Motorhead. Never listened to a full Dio album either. Does this make me a "fake" metalhead? Well I sure don't think so. I mean I love the albums I've heard by those older bands and I appreciate their legacy and when they're on I don't hate it or talk shit, I would just rather listen to one of the thousands of other bands that has released music since then.

Not enough time in the day my friend. I've been listening to metal devotedly for 31 years and am still discovering old bands and albums that I need to hear. I was the same as you though when I started getting into metal in the mid 80's. All I wanted to hear was thrash and fast aggressive stuff, not all those NWOBHM bands except for Priest and Maiden. I didn't get into Sabbath until maybe the mid 90's and the Dio/Rainbow stuff until about 5 years ago.

18 Jan 2018, 16:17
Metal Guru

Ninjazula wrote:
Does this make me a "fake" metalhead? Well I sure don't think so.

Me neither. It's great that you check out those albums, the classic bands released spectacular albums back then, and I feel it helps to appreciate where all the more recent bands come from. I only started listening and collecting in the early 90s myself, so I had to go back also to discover some of the classics by the usual suspects.

Ninjazula wrote:
I mean I love the albums I've heard by those older bands and I appreciate their legacy and when they're on I don't hate it or talk shit, I would just rather listen to one of the thousands of other bands that has released music since then.

I agree and feel the same way. I am much more looking forward to the new Visigoth album than the new Judas Priest for that reason. JP are legends, but in 2018, I'd much rather listen to Argus or Visigoth when it comes to tarditional Metal.

18 Jan 2018, 16:22
Metal Guru

Black metal as a musical style is neither here nor there. It's online black metal culture that can die screaming.

I think the reason I don't do many year-end lists is that I only get into a few records a year, tops. Which is odd considering how much music I expose myself to. YouTube's autoplay algorithm is far and away the best tool I've found for automating that process. Some years I spend more time listening to new music than I do listening to shit I already like. Well over a hundred bands annually if I had to guess. If you count albums I haven't heard from bands I know by name, that number is even larger.

So no, it's less your music sucks than your subculture sucking. You two, in particular, have the collective charm of a yeast infection.

18 Jan 2018, 16:39
Metal Guru

DaTroof wrote:
I am much more looking forward to the new Visigoth album than the new Judas Priest for that reason. JP are legends, but in 2018, I'd much rather listen to Argus or Visigoth when it comes to tarditional Metal.

Never. Visigoth are fine, I like Argus more....but nobody comes close to Judas Priest. They have been pure audio adrenalin, the sound of sheer momentum for 45 years.

18 Jan 2018, 17:06
Metal Guru

Uh... agree to disagree on that one, dude. Have you really thought that highly of all their post-reunion output?

18 Jan 2018, 17:13
Metal Guru

Xerxes wrote:
Uh... agree to disagree on that one, dude. Have you really thought that highly of all their post-reunion output?

Yes, no question. Rob Halford just has a better voice and ear for hooks over those other bands. Instrumentally, the change with KK to Ritchie has been seamless for me. I can skip around the instrumentals on 'Nostradamus' and I thought the production on RoS was fine. I still say the bridge in 'Sword of Damocles' is one of the band's finest moments.

JP have always managed to just 'get to the point' faster in all of their tunes. Newer bands draw out their shit way too long. Speaking of Argus, Butch is that band's best weapon but he constantly gets lost in these long, pointless instrumental sections. A track like "Four Candles Burning" is where they should be, straight to it with powerful vocal melodies.

I have no doubt "Firepower" will be my #1 for 2018.

18 Jan 2018, 17:25
Metal Guru

Is Power Trip's first album as good as the second one?

18 Jan 2018, 19:02
Metal Guru

taz wrote:

Very close.

18 Jan 2018, 19:16
Metal Guru

Anhur wrote:
taz wrote:

Very close.

Not as good, but still very good

18 Jan 2018, 20:07
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 1228 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43 ... 50  Next