It is currently 28 Jul 2017, 13:55



Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 915 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 37  Next
 Random Metal Thoughts - Mr. Green Genes Edition 
Author Message
Metal Guru
User avatar

Joined: 05 Mar 2012, 05:29
Posts: 1711
Post Random Metal Thoughts - Mr. Green Genes Edition
Blastphomet wrote:
The first couple and V-Halmstead are good. You might like them... perhaps the latter. Pretty much the epitome of modern 'depressive suicidal black metal'. Lolgenre.


Now DSBM is one weird genre I know nothing about. Is Xasthur considered DSBM?


23 Mar 2017, 18:06
Profile
Metal Guru
User avatar

Joined: 09 Mar 2002, 21:00
Posts: 67558
Location: Ogdenville
Post Re: Random Metal Thoughts - Mr. Green Genes Edition
I got clicking around on YouTube and found some band called Wolfbrigade. Great shit.

_________________
Required Fields wrote:
Heartwork was my JAM in the summer of 2000!


23 Mar 2017, 20:56
Profile
Metal Guru
User avatar

Joined: 30 Jul 2009, 13:00
Posts: 14773
Location: The Depths of Hell
Post Re: Random Metal Thoughts - Mr. Green Genes Edition
Exorcist wrote:
I got clicking around on YouTube and found some band called Wolfbrigade. Great shit.

Solid band. Great D-Beat.

_________________
Fear causes hesitation, and hesitation will cause your worst fears to come true.


23 Mar 2017, 21:03
Profile
Metal Guru
User avatar

Joined: 09 Mar 2002, 21:00
Posts: 67558
Location: Ogdenville
Post Re: Random Metal Thoughts - Mr. Green Genes Edition
voodoo dust wrote:
Exorcist wrote:
I got clicking around on YouTube and found some band called Wolfbrigade. Great shit.

Solid band. Great D-Beat.


I'll have to buy an album and see how it goes. Damned sounds awesome so far, so that'll be the one to go with first. I do love just stumbling across new discoveries completely accidentally :m:

_________________
Required Fields wrote:
Heartwork was my JAM in the summer of 2000!


23 Mar 2017, 21:18
Profile
Metal Guru
User avatar

Joined: 30 Jul 2009, 13:00
Posts: 14773
Location: The Depths of Hell
Post Re: Random Metal Thoughts - Mr. Green Genes Edition
Exorcist wrote:
voodoo dust wrote:
Exorcist wrote:
I got clicking around on YouTube and found some band called Wolfbrigade. Great shit.

Solid band. Great D-Beat.


I'll have to buy an album and see how it goes. Damned sounds awesome so far, so that'll be the one to go with first. I do love just stumbling across new discoveries completely accidentally :m:

You ever jam Disfear?

_________________
Fear causes hesitation, and hesitation will cause your worst fears to come true.


23 Mar 2017, 21:20
Profile
Metal Guru
User avatar

Joined: 07 Oct 2016, 00:50
Posts: 1104
Location: 1986
Post Re: Random Metal Thoughts - Mr. Green Genes Edition
voodoo dust wrote:
Exorcist wrote:
voodoo dust wrote:
Exorcist wrote:
I got clicking around on YouTube and found some band called Wolfbrigade. Great shit.

Solid band. Great D-Beat.


I'll have to buy an album and see how it goes. Damned sounds awesome so far, so that'll be the one to go with first. I do love just stumbling across new discoveries completely accidentally :m:

You ever jam Disfear?


Disfear rocks my socks :beer:

_________________
Firefarter wrote:
he was still sucking titties when I registered.


Exorcist wrote:
It's not that I want to change minds, I'm just curious to hear other outlooks about cool shit.


23 Mar 2017, 21:27
Profile
Metal Guru
User avatar

Joined: 09 Mar 2002, 21:00
Posts: 67558
Location: Ogdenville
Post Re: Random Metal Thoughts - Mr. Green Genes Edition
voodoo dust wrote:
Exorcist wrote:
voodoo dust wrote:
Exorcist wrote:
I got clicking around on YouTube and found some band called Wolfbrigade. Great shit.

Solid band. Great D-Beat.


I'll have to buy an album and see how it goes. Damned sounds awesome so far, so that'll be the one to go with first. I do love just stumbling across new discoveries completely accidentally :m:

You ever jam Disfear?


Yup! TLP turned me onto them. I listened to Live The Storm earlier today, actually.

_________________
Required Fields wrote:
Heartwork was my JAM in the summer of 2000!


23 Mar 2017, 21:40
Profile
Metal Guru
User avatar

Joined: 24 Feb 2011, 14:26
Posts: 38811
Location: North Haverbrook
Post Re: Random Metal Thoughts - Mr. Green Genes Edition
DaTroof wrote:
Blastphomet wrote:
The first couple and V-Halmstead are good. You might like them... perhaps the latter. Pretty much the epitome of modern 'depressive suicidal black metal'. Lolgenre.


Now DSBM is one weird genre I know nothing about. Is Xasthur considered DSBM?


Yeah I think so.


23 Mar 2017, 23:08
Profile
Metal Guru
User avatar

Joined: 24 Feb 2011, 14:26
Posts: 38811
Location: North Haverbrook
Post Re: Random Metal Thoughts - Mr. Green Genes Edition
Exorcist wrote:
voodoo dust wrote:
Exorcist wrote:
voodoo dust wrote:
Exorcist wrote:
I got clicking around on YouTube and found some band called Wolfbrigade. Great shit.

Solid band. Great D-Beat.


I'll have to buy an album and see how it goes. Damned sounds awesome so far, so that'll be the one to go with first. I do love just stumbling across new discoveries completely accidentally :m:

You ever jam Disfear?


Yup! TLP turned me onto them. I listened to Live The Storm earlier today, actually.


There is another crusty d-beat blackish 'Dis...' band who's name is escaping me right now but you should also check out. From Italy I think. Perhaps someone else can advise.


23 Mar 2017, 23:10
Profile
Metal Guru
User avatar

Joined: 06 May 2014, 18:30
Posts: 3111
Location: Toronto
Post Re: Random Metal Thoughts - Mr. Green Genes Edition
What kind of music is this you guys are talking about and what's d-beat? I've heard the term thrown around now and then but I never bothered with it before until your guys' weirdo music conversation I've just chimed in on.

_________________
"If you cut off my head, what would I say... Me and my head, or me and my body?"


23 Mar 2017, 23:36
Profile
Metal Guru
User avatar

Joined: 06 Oct 2006, 11:57
Posts: 4550
Location: Montreal
Post Re: Random Metal Thoughts - Mr. Green Genes Edition
Blastphomet wrote:
The first couple and V-Halmstead are good. You might like them... perhaps the latter. Pretty much the epitome of modern 'depressive suicidal black metal'. Lolgenre.


Halmstad is great but there's a song with a sample of a girl crying in the bathtub or whatever and I truly can't stand that. I guess it's no big deal but it's just too cheesy for me and it kinda drag my appreciation of the album because of it (although I don't mind it on Konkurs by Lifelover for some reason).

It's also the last Shining album I've heard and I just saw that he has released 5 more since then :o

_________________
Tyrannorabbit wrote:
Somehow this thread got worse than the Nickelback thread.


23 Mar 2017, 23:56
Profile WWW
Metal Guru
User avatar

Joined: 07 Oct 2016, 00:50
Posts: 1104
Location: 1986
Post Re: Random Metal Thoughts - Mr. Green Genes Edition
kv286 wrote:
What kind of music is this you guys are talking about and what's d-beat? I've heard the term thrown around now and then but I never bothered with it before until your guys' weirdo music conversation I've just chimed in on.


You know that one punk drum beat? do DO do do DO do DO do do DO? That's d-beat. But then it gets all meta because all the bands start with "dis" as some sort of inside joke. But in all reality it's good punky stuff. Check out disfear, like we were talking about.

_________________
Firefarter wrote:
he was still sucking titties when I registered.


Exorcist wrote:
It's not that I want to change minds, I'm just curious to hear other outlooks about cool shit.


24 Mar 2017, 00:06
Profile
Metal Guru
User avatar

Joined: 05 Mar 2012, 05:29
Posts: 1711
Post Re: Random Metal Thoughts - Mr. Green Genes Edition
Blasphomet wrote:
Exorcist wrote:
voodoo dust wrote:
Exorcist wrote:
voodoo dust wrote:
Solid band. Great D-Beat.


I'll have to buy an album and see how it goes. Damned sounds awesome so far, so that'll be the one to go with first. I do love just stumbling across new discoveries completely accidentally :m:

You ever jam Disfear?


Yup! TLP turned me onto them. I listened to Live The Storm earlier today, actually.


There is another crusty d-beat blackish 'Dis...' band who's name is escaping me right now but you should also check out. From Italy I think. Perhaps someone else can advise.


Dishammer? They're from Spain, but still, good stuff:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WPXlA4tMZ8k


24 Mar 2017, 01:55
Profile
Metal Guru
User avatar

Joined: 09 Mar 2002, 21:00
Posts: 67558
Location: Ogdenville
Post Re: Random Metal Thoughts - Mr. Green Genes Edition
kv286 wrote:
What kind of music is this you guys are talking about and what's d-beat? I've heard the term thrown around now and then but I never bothered with it before until your guys' weirdo music conversation I've just chimed in on.


Check this out for a pretty apt description:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gswjb3JMohk

Ninjazula pretty much has it right. A d-beat is a drum beat that was (arguably) created by the drummer from Discharge, which is why some d-beat bands often start with Dis-. It's just a bit of a tip of the hat to the creators. A wink and a nod kind of thing. Sometimes people will just straight up call the music Discore if that gives you a good impression of how key Discharge were to that fuckin' drum beat. D-beat as a genre tends to mix up crust punk and metal, and can have some slight similarities to grind except that D-beat is way more riff oriented rather than focussed on throwing the listener into a hurricane of razors.

I'm still pretty damn green to the genre myself, but I'm fucking loving everything I find so far.

_________________
Required Fields wrote:
Heartwork was my JAM in the summer of 2000!


24 Mar 2017, 06:36
Profile
Metal Guru
User avatar

Joined: 09 Mar 2002, 21:00
Posts: 67558
Location: Ogdenville
Post Re: Random Metal Thoughts - Mr. Green Genes Edition
I found my ICS Vortex t-shirt from Wacken 2014. I thought I'd lost that fucking thing months ago, and I'd given up on ever finding it. My dog was rustling around in my bedroom and found it :lol:

_________________
Required Fields wrote:
Heartwork was my JAM in the summer of 2000!


24 Mar 2017, 10:29
Profile
Metal Guru
User avatar

Joined: 03 Jun 2003, 10:41
Posts: 34622
Location: Virginia, USA
Post Re: Random Metal Thoughts - Mr. Green Genes Edition
New Steel Panther seems better than the last one. They'll still never top the debut for the best combination of comedy/chops/80s worship.

On the other side of the coin, the Memoriam is pretty decent. It's lacking some of BT's lower end and some of the songs are bit overlong but I'm digging it.

I love new music Fridays :m: :m: :m:


24 Mar 2017, 11:17
Profile
Metal Guru
User avatar

Joined: 09 Mar 2002, 21:00
Posts: 67558
Location: Ogdenville
Post Re: Random Metal Thoughts - Mr. Green Genes Edition
Klschmann wrote:
New Steel Panther seems better than the last one. They'll still never top the debut for the best combination of comedy/chops/80s worship.


I can't really compare it to the other records yet, only because I love all three of those albums and this one has only had like... six hours to sink in for me. If I had to pick a favourite I'd probably lean towards Balls Out, but the answer could change depending on the day you ask me.

_________________
Required Fields wrote:
Heartwork was my JAM in the summer of 2000!


24 Mar 2017, 12:02
Profile
Metal Guru
User avatar

Joined: 12 Dec 2004, 08:29
Posts: 14216
Location: nj
Post Re: Random Metal Thoughts - Mr. Green Genes Edition
DaTroof wrote:
Blasphomet wrote:
Exorcist wrote:
voodoo dust wrote:
voodoo dust wrote:
Solid band. Great D-Beat.


I'll have to buy an album and see how it goes. Damned sounds awesome so far, so that'll be the one to go with first. I do love just stumbling across new discoveries completely accidentally :m:

You ever jam Disfear?



There is another crusty d-beat blackish 'Dis...' band who's name is escaping me right now but you should also check out. From Italy I think. Perhaps someone else can advise.


Dishammer? They're from Spain, but still, good stuff:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WPXlA4tMZ8k

gotta be them. vintage addiction is fucking ripping.

_________________
everyone knows that a burrow owl lives in a hole in the ground.


24 Mar 2017, 12:15
Profile
Metal Guru
User avatar

Joined: 24 Feb 2011, 14:26
Posts: 38811
Location: North Haverbrook
Post Re: Random Metal Thoughts - Mr. Green Genes Edition
Bingo. Italy... Spain... I was WAY off.

Image


24 Mar 2017, 12:33
Profile
Metal Guru
User avatar

Joined: 09 Mar 2002, 21:00
Posts: 67558
Location: Ogdenville
Post Re: Random Metal Thoughts - Mr. Green Genes Edition
Blasphomet wrote:
Bingo. Italy... Spain... I was WAY off.

Image


:roll:

SAMSONITE!

_________________
Required Fields wrote:
Heartwork was my JAM in the summer of 2000!


24 Mar 2017, 12:56
Profile
Metal Guru
User avatar

Joined: 03 Jun 2003, 10:41
Posts: 34622
Location: Virginia, USA
Post Re: Random Metal Thoughts - Mr. Green Genes Edition
Exorcist wrote:
Klschmann wrote:
New Steel Panther seems better than the last one. They'll still never top the debut for the best combination of comedy/chops/80s worship.


I can't really compare it to the other records yet, only because I love all three of those albums and this one has only had like... six hours to sink in for me. If I had to pick a favourite I'd probably lean towards Balls Out, but the answer could change depending on the day you ask me.


It's probably a right album right time kind of thing for me but I'm just enjoying the new one.

Not that they have any bad records. Band is good times. :m:


24 Mar 2017, 12:57
Profile
Metal Guru
User avatar

Joined: 09 Mar 2002, 21:00
Posts: 67558
Location: Ogdenville
Post Re: Random Metal Thoughts - Mr. Green Genes Edition
Klschmann wrote:
Exorcist wrote:
Klschmann wrote:
New Steel Panther seems better than the last one. They'll still never top the debut for the best combination of comedy/chops/80s worship.


I can't really compare it to the other records yet, only because I love all three of those albums and this one has only had like... six hours to sink in for me. If I had to pick a favourite I'd probably lean towards Balls Out, but the answer could change depending on the day you ask me.


It's probably a right album right time kind of thing for me but I'm just enjoying the new one.

Not that they have any bad records. Band is good times. :m:


Have you heard their Live From Lexxi's Mom's Garage record yet? For some reason I haven't bothered to pick it up yet and I'm curious how it is.

_________________
Required Fields wrote:
Heartwork was my JAM in the summer of 2000!


24 Mar 2017, 13:24
Profile
Metal Guru
User avatar

Joined: 03 Jun 2003, 10:41
Posts: 34622
Location: Virginia, USA
Post Re: Random Metal Thoughts - Mr. Green Genes Edition
Yeah man, that one is pretty good too. It's basically an acoustic set with hits + a few new tunes + a DVD. Which reminds me I've never watched that DVD. Their British Invasion one which basically has the entire Feel the Steel on it is fucking awesome.


24 Mar 2017, 14:12
Profile
Metal Guru
User avatar

Joined: 06 May 2014, 18:30
Posts: 3111
Location: Toronto
Post Re: Random Metal Thoughts - Mr. Green Genes Edition
Exorcist wrote:
kv286 wrote:
What kind of music is this you guys are talking about and what's d-beat? I've heard the term thrown around now and then but I never bothered with it before until your guys' weirdo music conversation I've just chimed in on.


Check this out for a pretty apt description:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gswjb3JMohk

Ninjazula pretty much has it right. A d-beat is a drum beat that was (arguably) created by the drummer from Discharge, which is why some d-beat bands often start with Dis-. It's just a bit of a tip of the hat to the creators. A wink and a nod kind of thing. Sometimes people will just straight up call the music Discore if that gives you a good impression of how key Discharge were to that fuckin' drum beat. D-beat as a genre tends to mix up crust punk and metal, and can have some slight similarities to grind except that D-beat is way more riff oriented rather than focussed on throwing the listener into a hurricane of razors.

I'm still pretty damn green to the genre myself, but I'm fucking loving everything I find so far.


Ahhh okay, thanks guys. Sampling a Disfear song as I type.

_________________
"If you cut off my head, what would I say... Me and my head, or me and my body?"


24 Mar 2017, 18:28
Profile
Metal Guru
User avatar

Joined: 12 Dec 2004, 08:29
Posts: 14216
Location: nj
Post Re: Random Metal Thoughts - Mr. Green Genes Edition
disfear is incredible, especially with tompa on vox.

_________________
everyone knows that a burrow owl lives in a hole in the ground.


24 Mar 2017, 19:27
Profile
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 915 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 37  Next


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: DapperDan and 8 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Jump to:  


Google
 
Web www.bravewords.com

Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group.
Designed by Vjacheslav Trushkin for Free Forums/DivisionCore.