It is currently 28 Jul 2017, 13:55

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 915 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 37  Next
 Random Metal Thoughts - Mr. Green Genes Edition 
Metal Guru

Post Random Metal Thoughts - Mr. Green Genes Edition
Blastphomet wrote:
The first couple and V-Halmstead are good. You might like them... perhaps the latter. Pretty much the epitome of modern 'depressive suicidal black metal'. Lolgenre.

Now DSBM is one weird genre I know nothing about. Is Xasthur considered DSBM?

23 Mar 2017, 18:06
Metal Guru

Post Re: Random Metal Thoughts - Mr. Green Genes Edition
I got clicking around on YouTube and found some band called Wolfbrigade. Great shit.

23 Mar 2017, 20:56
Metal Guru

Exorcist wrote:
I got clicking around on YouTube and found some band called Wolfbrigade. Great shit.

Solid band. Great D-Beat.

23 Mar 2017, 21:03
Metal Guru

voodoo dust wrote:
Exorcist wrote:

I'll have to buy an album and see how it goes. Damned sounds awesome so far, so that'll be the one to go with first. I do love just stumbling across new discoveries completely accidentally :m:

23 Mar 2017, 21:18
Metal Guru

Exorcist wrote:
voodoo dust wrote:
Exorcist wrote:

I'll have to buy an album and see how it goes. Damned sounds awesome so far, so that'll be the one to go with first. I do love just stumbling across new discoveries completely accidentally :m:

You ever jam Disfear?

23 Mar 2017, 21:20
Metal Guru

voodoo dust wrote:
Exorcist wrote:
voodoo dust wrote:
Exorcist wrote:

You ever jam Disfear?

Disfear rocks my socks :beer:

Exorcist wrote:
It's not that I want to change minds, I'm just curious to hear other outlooks about cool shit.

23 Mar 2017, 21:27
Metal Guru

voodoo dust wrote:
Exorcist wrote:
voodoo dust wrote:
Exorcist wrote:

You ever jam Disfear?

Yup! TLP turned me onto them. I listened to Live The Storm earlier today, actually.

23 Mar 2017, 21:40
Metal Guru

DaTroof wrote:
Blastphomet wrote:
The first couple and V-Halmstead are good. You might like them... perhaps the latter. Pretty much the epitome of modern 'depressive suicidal black metal'. Lolgenre.

Now DSBM is one weird genre I know nothing about. Is Xasthur considered DSBM?

Yeah I think so.

23 Mar 2017, 23:08
Metal Guru

Exorcist wrote:
voodoo dust wrote:
Exorcist wrote:
voodoo dust wrote:
Exorcist wrote:

You ever jam Disfear?

Yup! TLP turned me onto them. I listened to Live The Storm earlier today, actually.

There is another crusty d-beat blackish 'Dis...' band who's name is escaping me right now but you should also check out. From Italy I think. Perhaps someone else can advise.

23 Mar 2017, 23:10
Metal Guru

What kind of music is this you guys are talking about and what's d-beat? I've heard the term thrown around now and then but I never bothered with it before until your guys' weirdo music conversation I've just chimed in on.

23 Mar 2017, 23:36
Metal Guru

Blastphomet wrote:

Halmstad is great but there's a song with a sample of a girl crying in the bathtub or whatever and I truly can't stand that. I guess it's no big deal but it's just too cheesy for me and it kinda drag my appreciation of the album because of it (although I don't mind it on Konkurs by Lifelover for some reason).

It's also the last Shining album I've heard and I just saw that he has released 5 more since then :o

23 Mar 2017, 23:56
Profile WWW
Metal Guru

kv286 wrote:
What kind of music is this you guys are talking about and what's d-beat? I've heard the term thrown around now and then but I never bothered with it before until your guys' weirdo music conversation I've just chimed in on.

You know that one punk drum beat? do DO do do DO do DO do do DO? That's d-beat. But then it gets all meta because all the bands start with "dis" as some sort of inside joke. But in all reality it's good punky stuff. Check out disfear, like we were talking about.

Exorcist wrote:
It's not that I want to change minds, I'm just curious to hear other outlooks about cool shit.

24 Mar 2017, 00:06
Metal Guru

Blasphomet wrote:
Exorcist wrote:
voodoo dust wrote:
Exorcist wrote:
voodoo dust wrote:

You ever jam Disfear?

There is another crusty d-beat blackish 'Dis...' band who's name is escaping me right now but you should also check out. From Italy I think. Perhaps someone else can advise.

Dishammer? They're from Spain, but still, good stuff:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WPXlA4tMZ8k

24 Mar 2017, 01:55
Metal Guru

kv286 wrote:

Check this out for a pretty apt description:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gswjb3JMohk

Ninjazula pretty much has it right. A d-beat is a drum beat that was (arguably) created by the drummer from Discharge, which is why some d-beat bands often start with Dis-. It's just a bit of a tip of the hat to the creators. A wink and a nod kind of thing. Sometimes people will just straight up call the music Discore if that gives you a good impression of how key Discharge were to that fuckin' drum beat. D-beat as a genre tends to mix up crust punk and metal, and can have some slight similarities to grind except that D-beat is way more riff oriented rather than focussed on throwing the listener into a hurricane of razors.

I'm still pretty damn green to the genre myself, but I'm fucking loving everything I find so far.

24 Mar 2017, 06:36
Metal Guru

I found my ICS Vortex t-shirt from Wacken 2014. I thought I'd lost that fucking thing months ago, and I'd given up on ever finding it. My dog was rustling around in my bedroom and found it :lol:

24 Mar 2017, 10:29
Metal Guru

New Steel Panther seems better than the last one. They'll still never top the debut for the best combination of comedy/chops/80s worship.

On the other side of the coin, the Memoriam is pretty decent. It's lacking some of BT's lower end and some of the songs are bit overlong but I'm digging it.

I love new music Fridays :m: :m: :m:

24 Mar 2017, 11:17
Metal Guru

Klschmann wrote:
New Steel Panther seems better than the last one. They'll still never top the debut for the best combination of comedy/chops/80s worship.

I can't really compare it to the other records yet, only because I love all three of those albums and this one has only had like... six hours to sink in for me. If I had to pick a favourite I'd probably lean towards Balls Out, but the answer could change depending on the day you ask me.

24 Mar 2017, 12:02
Metal Guru

DaTroof wrote:
Blasphomet wrote:
Exorcist wrote:
voodoo dust wrote:
voodoo dust wrote:

You ever jam Disfear?

Dishammer? They're from Spain, but still, good stuff:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WPXlA4tMZ8k

gotta be them. vintage addiction is fucking ripping.

24 Mar 2017, 12:15
Metal Guru

Bingo. Italy... Spain... I was WAY off.

24 Mar 2017, 12:33
Metal Guru

Blasphomet wrote:
Bingo. Italy... Spain... I was WAY off.

:roll:

SAMSONITE!

24 Mar 2017, 12:56
Metal Guru

Exorcist wrote:
Klschmann wrote:

I can't really compare it to the other records yet, only because I love all three of those albums and this one has only had like... six hours to sink in for me. If I had to pick a favourite I'd probably lean towards Balls Out, but the answer could change depending on the day you ask me.

It's probably a right album right time kind of thing for me but I'm just enjoying the new one.

Not that they have any bad records. Band is good times. :m:

24 Mar 2017, 12:57
Metal Guru

Klschmann wrote:
Exorcist wrote:
Klschmann wrote:

It's probably a right album right time kind of thing for me but I'm just enjoying the new one.

Not that they have any bad records. Band is good times. :m:

Have you heard their Live From Lexxi's Mom's Garage record yet? For some reason I haven't bothered to pick it up yet and I'm curious how it is.

24 Mar 2017, 13:24
Metal Guru

Yeah man, that one is pretty good too. It's basically an acoustic set with hits + a few new tunes + a DVD. Which reminds me I've never watched that DVD. Their British Invasion one which basically has the entire Feel the Steel on it is fucking awesome.

24 Mar 2017, 14:12
Metal Guru

Exorcist wrote:
kv286 wrote:

Check this out for a pretty apt description:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gswjb3JMohk

Ninjazula pretty much has it right. A d-beat is a drum beat that was (arguably) created by the drummer from Discharge, which is why some d-beat bands often start with Dis-. It's just a bit of a tip of the hat to the creators. A wink and a nod kind of thing. Sometimes people will just straight up call the music Discore if that gives you a good impression of how key Discharge were to that fuckin' drum beat. D-beat as a genre tends to mix up crust punk and metal, and can have some slight similarities to grind except that D-beat is way more riff oriented rather than focussed on throwing the listener into a hurricane of razors.

I'm still pretty damn green to the genre myself, but I'm fucking loving everything I find so far.

Ahhh okay, thanks guys. Sampling a Disfear song as I type.

24 Mar 2017, 18:28
Metal Guru

disfear is incredible, especially with tompa on vox.

24 Mar 2017, 19:27
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 915 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 37  Next