It is currently 02 Sep 2014, 08:13

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 104 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Braveboard Top Albums of 2013 
Metal Guru

Post Re: Braveboard Top Albums of 2013
Agreed regarding all those albums. They were all awesome.

17 Jan 2014, 21:40
Metal Illuminati

I wonder if we might get an interesting thread, at the end of the year, ranking the top inarguably non-metal albums. (i.e. encouraging people to include some non-metal albums on their year-end list, and then separately compiling those) (sorry to suggest some extra work on your part, LOAF)

For example Nick Cave has come up more than once over the years. Not by me, I don't really know that much about him, but I find the non-metal listening habits of metal people interesting. The thing that sets metal part for me is its larger-than-life aspect. If a non-genre artist can grab onto that, it'll generally grab my ear, and I wonder what other metal fans are listening to.

18 Jan 2014, 02:17
Profile WWW
Metal Guru

Bloodline wrote:
I don't get Carcass at #1. :?

Yeah, it never made my list (and neither did Satan, which makes me a rarity in these parts, along with a select few other folks). I think it's a helluva strong album after the long lay off, it sinks in a little more with each listen and I find myself anticipating parts of it more and more each time through, but I wouldn't say it was one of the top 15 albums I heard last year. If it was a Top 25 or 30, it probably would have placed somewhere. Maybe even Top 20.

ACCEPT - Blind Rage
PENTACLE - Five Candles Burning Red
SOREPTION - Deterioraton Of Minds
RIPPER - Raising The Corpse
MIDNIGHT - No Mercy For Mayhem

18 Jan 2014, 02:26
Metal Guru

oops

Screaming with a vengeance that we will forever hear"

18 Jan 2014, 11:08
Metal Guru

Darth Ballz wrote:
Bloodline wrote:
I don't get Carcass at #1. :?

Yeah, it never made my list (and neither did Satan, which makes me a rarity in these parts, along with a select few other folks). I think it's a helluva strong album after the long lay off, it sinks in a little more with each listen and I find myself anticipating parts of it more and more each time through, but I wouldn't say it was one of the top 15 albums I heard last year. If it was a Top 25 or 30, it probably would have placed somewhere. Maybe even Top 20.

I gave it a couple listens and wasn't that interested, but I know a lot of people were floored by it, as a reassuring return to form if nothing else. Honestly it's one of the least head-scratchingly ordained #1 picks we've had over the years.

Brütal Wülfsex: "SWORD WIELDING ALPHA METAL" - Rocky Dennis
Sylvus
Misthelm

18 Jan 2014, 21:40
Profile WWW
Metal Guru

Tyrannorabbit wrote:
I wonder if we might get an interesting thread, at the end of the year, ranking the top inarguably non-metal albums. (i.e. encouraging people to include some non-metal albums on their year-end list, and then separately compiling those) (sorry to suggest some extra work on your part, LOAF)

For example Nick Cave has come up more than once over the years. Not by me, I don't really know that much about him, but I find the non-metal listening habits of metal people interesting. The thing that sets metal part for me is its larger-than-life aspect. If a non-genre artist can grab onto that, it'll generally grab my ear, and I wonder what other metal fans are listening to.

I agree with that, would be cool to get a non-metal list as well around here - it usually features some excellent non-metal stuff you almost only heard about from metal people, stuff you wouldn't know about otherwise, at least not from typical "I can't stand metal" people.

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=leave+the+hall

19 Jan 2014, 17:17
Metal Guru

Tyrannorabbit wrote:

I agree with you. I also imagine the non-metal contributions will be less popular than the regular, so I don't think it would be much more work.
What would the guidelines be? Like were would a band like Ananthema fit? Or Alcest?

19 Jan 2014, 17:21
Profile WWW
Metal Guru

Location: St. Catharines, Ontario, Canada, Earth, Solar System, Orion Spur, Milky Way, Virgo Supercluster
Lord of all Fire wrote:
I agree with you. I also imagine the non-metal contributions will be less popular than the regular, so I don't think it would be much more work.
What would the guidelines be? Like were would a band like Ananthema fit? Or Alcest?

I'd have to say it varies on the album for that year.

Anathema definitely aren't what they used to be, so I'd put them under "not metal" so to speak.

Then again, that's me.

. . . Things get complicated.

19 Jan 2014, 20:28
Profile WWW
Metal Illuminati

Lord of all Fire wrote:
Tyrannorabbit wrote:

Yeah, that would be the biggest problem, another layer of "Fuck...whatever, never mind".

20 Jan 2014, 01:10
Profile WWW
Metal Guru

One solution to the subjectiveness of what is metal or non metal could be to encourage people more to post there overall lists not just 'metal' lists. I don't know, its tricky.

20 Jan 2014, 17:15
Profile WWW
Metal Guru

Location: St. Catharines, Ontario, Canada, Earth, Solar System, Orion Spur, Milky Way, Virgo Supercluster
Lord of all Fire wrote:
One solution to the subjectiveness of what is metal or non metal could be to encourage people more to post there overall lists not just 'metal' lists. I don't know, its tricky.

That's how I take the lists every year though. I've never made it "metal only."

I'd definitely take that route.

20 Jan 2014, 17:32
Profile WWW
Metal Guru

Or just make it a top 25 all genres list? Honestly, there wouldn't be much non metal on my list so i really don't care. Stuff like Anathema would be the exception.

21 Jan 2014, 13:58
Metal Guru

OptionalPlayer wrote:
Lord of all Fire wrote:

I make metal-only lists on this board. I do this because ultimately this is still a metal board, not a general music board.

21 Jan 2014, 15:01
Metal Guru

Someone could just make a thread of non-metal albums for the year or something. Like BCTW did with metal albums. THe majority of my newlistening is metal though. There isn't much else new out there that I ever find that intriguing, so maybe a thread like that would help.

I guess there is stuff like Jess and the Ancient Ones and Admiral Sir Cloudesley Shovell who aren't on the archives... but I still consider them to be metal.

EDIT: Check that, the Shovell are on the archives now.

21 Jan 2014, 22:26
Metal Guru

Those are definitely metal.

21 Jan 2014, 22:48
Junior Headbanger

My top 5 was pretty straightforward...

1. Motorhead - Aftershock
2. Hail of Bullets - The Rommel Chronicles
3. Argus - Beyond the Martyrs
4. Civil War - The Killer Angels
5. Newsted - Heavy Metal Music

A lot of weird favorites. The latest Pro-Pain was really strong, as well as Onslaught's VI. The weirdest thing I found enjoyable was Sulphur Aeon's debut which somehow captured that whole crushing underwater sound. Probably all the bubbling sound effects, though.

22 Jan 2014, 11:54
Metal Guru

No non-metal lists or entries....PLEASE.

(Matthew 10:34)

22 Jan 2014, 13:16
Metal Guru

Iced Ray wrote:
No non-metal lists or entries....PLEASE.

I feel that putting non-metal albums on year-end lists deservedly dilutes the influence of those who would do so. :thumb:

Sylvus
Misthelm

22 Jan 2014, 15:35
Profile WWW
Metal Guru

thelostpatrol wrote:
OptionalPlayer wrote:
Lord of all Fire wrote:

I make metal-only lists on this board. I do this because ultimately this is still a metal board, not a general music board.

metal oracle = metal lists

26 Jan 2014, 15:50
Metal Guru

marv the mailman wrote:
thelostpatrol wrote:
OptionalPlayer wrote:
Lord of all Fire wrote:

metal oracle = metal lists

I'm all for discussing any genre here, as it is a music board overall. But given that the site's niche is metal, to start building a culture of regular non-metal discussion would be contrary to the general purpose of this place.

26 Jan 2014, 16:41
Metal Guru

Lord of all Fire wrote:

Don't be a fucking hypocrite! My top 15 of 2012 had my #15 pick removed completely from the list because it apparently wasn't metal enough for you!
viewtopic.php?f=15&t=137732&start=50

01 Feb 2014, 00:24
Profile ICQ WWW
Metal Guru

Thanks for the response and input into this.
I think we just keep it as is. Leave lists up to everyones discretion.

Butane: I don't get it.

01 Feb 2014, 13:05
Profile WWW
Metal Guru

I have to assume it's a poorly execute joke

Sylvus
Misthelm

09 Feb 2014, 23:34
Profile WWW
Headbanger

I simply don't listen to enough non-metal to make any kind of list any year. I'm not one of those metal only dudes, I like other stuff, I just have a few go-to artists for whatever other type of stuff I might be in the mood for and that doesn't happen all that often anyway.

17 Feb 2014, 11:14
Metal Guru

I can't fathom only listening to metal anymore. Variety is the spice of life. And no, "sub-genres" really aren't that different. :)

19 Feb 2014, 22:13
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 104 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next