It is currently 29 Aug 2016, 09:18

Jasonic Era Voivod??? 
Metal Guru

Post Jasonic Era Voivod???
What are your thoughts on these three albums? I LOVE Voivod, however, something about these albums leaves me cold :? :(

21 Aug 2016, 16:28
Metal Guru

Post Re: Jasonic Era Voivod???
I've Voivod and Katorz and I like them. They take some listens to get into but that's normal for Voiviod. Some pretty good sing-alongable songs on these albums. Can't say Newstead's involvement make's much of a difference though.

21 Aug 2016, 16:33
Metal Guru

kv286 wrote:
Can't say Newstead's involvement make's much of a difference though.

Well in retrospect, both his Voivod output and Newsted project display considerable Motorhead worship, so he may have had more songwriting input than you think... neither Away or Snake contribute riffs.

21 Aug 2016, 17:14
Profile ICQ
Metal Guru

I don't love the S/T. I enjoy songs off both Katorz and Infini. I can't imagine how hard Katorz and Infini were to make, both on emotional level, and logistical level. I appreciate the fact Newsted seemed to resurrect them from the dead. And Target Eaeth and the new EP are excellent Voivod material. But that's because of Mongrain being the perfect fit for a band where there was no fit imaginable. Voivod is seemingly as strong as ever now and were amazing live when I saw them earlier this summer.

I appreciated Newsted'S contribution musically, but I think his largest contribution was reminding the band just how awesome they are and how unique and special they are in the world of metal. They may not be for everybody......but nobody will ever have the musical vision they do.

For the record, I think Phobos is far better than all of those albums.

21 Aug 2016, 18:02
Metal Guru

voivod blows

Malevolent_Croatian wrote:
half the time it feels like he's setting the mood to sell me a persian rug.

22 Aug 2016, 11:13
Metal Guru

ottersnott wrote:
I don't love the S/T. I enjoy songs off both Katorz and Infini. I can't imagine how hard Katorz and Infini were to make, both on emotional level, and logistical level. I appreciate the fact Newsted seemed to resurrect them from the dead. And Target Eaeth and the new EP are excellent Voivod material. But that's because of Mongrain being the perfect fit for a band where there was no fit imaginable. Voivod is seemingly as strong as ever now and were amazing live when I saw them earlier this summer.

I appreciated Newsted'S contribution musically, but I think his largest contribution was reminding the band just how awesome they are and how unique and special they are in the world of metal. They may not be for everybody......but nobody will ever have the musical vision they do.

Excellent post. For the record I also prefer "Negatron". I will say I played "Katorz" this morning and was digging it. Think the "S/T" is just a bit too long, and I was drinking a bit yesterday :cheers: 8)

22 Aug 2016, 11:49
Headbanger

I like Phobos a lot but was relieved when s/t came out as I think it's excellent. Saw the live show that tour opening for Ozzy and I think Newsted was good. He didn't take over or over do it (if that makes sense) but his playing was solid and I can only imagine he contributed riffs and what not.

I have all three albums and really liked s/t and Infini way more than Katorz for some reason. I will have to revisit that as it's been boxed for at least 5 years. It never stood out for whatever reason.

The new stuff is great. I really think they nailed it with Chewy and even Rocky on bass. Chewy is amazing and likely the only person they could have got to carry on. Live show back in June this year was unreal. Great to see them playing with the same passion as ten or fifteen years ago.

22 Aug 2016, 22:49
Metal Guru

I bought a ticket to the Voivod show in town and forgot to go. :lol:

I respect them in terms of shaping Canadian metal but truthfully don't listen to them very much regardless of era.

Last edited by thelostpatrol on 25 Aug 2016, 10:10, edited 1 time in total.

23 Aug 2016, 03:45
Metal Guru

ottersnott wrote:
I think Phobos is far better than all of those albums.

absolutely.that album is amazing.

both the S/T and Katorz are great and closer to the Voivod vibe than the overly aggro Forest-era,they kinda pick up where The Outer Limits left off.

Infini is aptly titled,it really feels "unfinished".under the circumstances I think they would have been better off shelving that album and maybe using its stronger ideas for Target Earth.

23 Aug 2016, 16:55
Metal Guru

Rook wrote:
voivod blows

i thought your dads name was steve?

Big Metal Dude wrote:
fālsëpøsê.

Rocky Dennis wrote:
Manowar calls, you fucking answer. No excuses, no regrets. Hail and Kill.

23 Aug 2016, 19:23
Headbanger

I throw those Jasonic Voivod albums on my phone every so often. I like what they're going for but it still has never fully clicked. I won't delete them though....I have a feeling one day they will actually work for me.

Meanwhile, Newsted's "Heavy Metal Music" album was fucking godly. :guitar:

23 Aug 2016, 19:26
Metal Guru

I like the self-titled album, but not crazy about the two that followed it.

Oddly enough, I never really liked Negatron and Phobos very much until after listening to Katorz. Did Jason Newsted have anything to do with that? I dunno.

23 Aug 2016, 19:49
Metal Guru

I bought the first one and it was a huge fucking letdown .

23 Aug 2016, 19:55
Metal Guru

Blackjebus wrote:
I like the self-titled album, but not crazy about the two that followed it.

Oddly enough, I never really liked Negatron and Phobos very much until after listening to Katorz. Did Jason Newsted have anything to do with that? I dunno.

No, Eric Forrest handled the bass along with vocals for those. And I agree that Negatron is nothing special

23 Aug 2016, 20:19
Metal Guru

kv286 wrote:
No, Eric Forrest handled the bass along with vocals for those.

Oh, I know that. What I meant was, did Jason Newsted's influence on Voivod have anything to do with me gaining appreciation for the Eric Forrest albums later on?

24 Aug 2016, 07:52
Metal Guru

My least favourite output, I just can't get into the Jasonic era.

Current Voivod is fucking amazing :shred:

24 Aug 2016, 10:20
Profile WWW
Metal Guru

ottersnott wrote:

Absolute gem of a post.

24 Aug 2016, 16:31
Profile ICQ WWW
Metal Guru

Invisible Planet's a good song.

24 Aug 2016, 19:46
Metal Guru

The Devil wrote:
What are your thoughts on these three albums? I LOVE Voivod, however, something about these albums leaves me cold :? :(

Yeppers :) :) count Ole jermeister the same :) :)

Oh yeah I'm sitting hear listening to my favorite albulm by them "Killing Technology" :m: :m:

25 Aug 2016, 10:02
Metal Guru

Every metal band has a lull in their discography. This will always be one I understand on so many levels. That they can be as strong as ever is truly incredible.

One of the most amazing conversations I've ever had at a show was at the most recent Voivod show talking with Daniel Mongrain about the how's and whys of putting together whole tab books for Killing and Hatross. He had nothing but the utmost respect, admiration, and awe for Piggys artistic voice and the band's meaning musically. To appreciate his humility as he spoke ( and as a teacher of Jazz guitar) will be something I never forget. Rocky too carried himself with the same humility and appreciation for the bandmates, the legacy of the band, the fans, and the music moving forward. Away is just Away. They truly are the epitome of Canadian metal.

Warriors of the Ice forever!! :m:

26 Aug 2016, 13:57