It is currently 25 May 2018, 15:30

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 78 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Discovering new music and aging 
Metal Guru

Post Re: Discovering new music and aging
The Space Lord wrote:
Since I normally review new bands as a hobby it's difficult to suddenly say I've given up on new music at 43. I still have my core preferences but over time I've found that I've expanded my tastes a bit more from what I normally listen to. And I'd say that blues makes up a lot of my new listening pleasures as of late.

Tangent: Do you find that reviewing music makes you enjoy listening to music less? I found that while I did enjoy doing college radio for awhile, it turned music into one great big job rather than something I enjoy.

16 May 2018, 14:52
Metal Guru

Location: Ottawa (the city that fun forgot but don't tell the bands that)
Exorcist wrote:
The Space Lord wrote:
Since I normally review new bands as a hobby it's difficult to suddenly say I've given up on new music at 43. I still have my core preferences but over time I've found that I've expanded my tastes a bit more from what I normally listen to. And I'd say that blues makes up a lot of my new listening pleasures as of late.

Tangent: Do you find that reviewing music makes you enjoy listening to music less? I found that while I did enjoy doing college radio for awhile, it turned music into one great big job rather than something I enjoy.

Good question (which I figured I'd be asked about one day anyway). For me, since my music reviews are strictly a hobby (though I've started looking into maybe getting paid soon to do them), I don't try to let it affect my regular day job in the government other than just listening to whatever I'll be reviewing. I'll also pace myself too as I don't always need to listen to the same genre every day. It's whatever I'm in the mood for since most of us usually only listen to the radio. I've found that my appreciation for music afterwards hasn't changed that much to be honest.

(there was probably that one time when I helped team lead Sumayeh overcome her fears of taking her government-mandated French exam by playing "Marseilles" by Angel City and pointing out that her French was way more advanced than Doc Neeson's and now I have an even greater appreciation of the song too, so, like, there's totally that)

Last edited by The Space Lord on 16 May 2018, 22:15, edited 1 time in total.

16 May 2018, 15:02
Metal King

deathstalker wrote:
Rocky Dennis wrote:
Always questing, never gonna stop.

Damn straight. This shit is my hobby.

And an expensive hobby it has been.

Exorcist wrote:
He looks like he came in third in a fisting contest.

16 May 2018, 15:03
Metal Guru

I haven't stopped checking out new music, be it new new or new to me old. Over the past couple years I've spent more time with new to mew old stuff that I hadn't gotten around to checking out. I've listened to more new (2018) music this year that by this time in in 2016 and 2017.

I foresee always being into new music, be it metal or non. New or new to me. It's the way it's been since I was like 10. Don't see why that would change.

16 May 2018, 15:11
Metal Guru

I need music monthly (all genres) like some people need morphine IV drips. I require a new lyric or chorus stuck in my head everyday.

16 May 2018, 15:15
Metal Guru

U-94 wrote:
I need music monthly (all genres) like some people need morphine IV drips. I require a new lyric or chorus stuck in my head everyday.

which is funny considering how much you limit your choices by ignoring so many genres and bands

Malevolent_Croatian wrote:
half the time it feels like he's setting the mood to sell me a persian rug.

16 May 2018, 15:16
Metal Guru

It’s hard to keep up with 16-17 year old me. At this stage I’m rarely impressed with too much new stuff. More often disappointed. So with limited time with a house full I’m FAR more interested in carving out time to spend with my instruments versus hunting new music.

16 May 2018, 15:31
Metal Guru

Rook wrote:
U-94 wrote:

which is funny considering how much you limit your choices by ignoring so many genres and bands

Well I know very specifically what I want from all genres and generally I find newer stuff through connections to other bands I already enjoy. There's enough stuff in 2018 to keep me entertained.

16 May 2018, 16:23
Metal King

I've discovered Amorphis and I'm fucking old.

Exorcist wrote:

16 May 2018, 17:50
Metal Guru

I still love finding new stuff, but I haven't got the time lately to really carry out the quest the way I used to. Too much good stuff to sort through to find the great, and I have over 4000 albums on my shelf that I still listen to regularly. So, something has to give. I end up still finding a lot of cool stuff, but not always being able to digest it right away. I can't listen to tunes all the time, and don't want to neglect what I already love. It was easier a few year ago when I was driving all the time for work. Now I am more office based, and can't really listen to anything at work. I get an album in between the there and back drive, and maybe 2 or three on some week night evenings. I don't really get out much anymore, so Friday and Saturday night I can sometimes cover a lot of ground, which is cool. So, the will to seek out exciting new metal remains, but the resources needed to really dig in and fully absorb all of it are lacking. Down side of being older and having a professional job and family I guess.

16 May 2018, 19:13
Metal Guru

I'm with you anhur. My commute is only 4 mins. That used to be my time with albums. It's hard to really blast metal when I'm home with the family.

Big Metal Dude wrote:
fālsëpøsê.

Rocky Dennis wrote:
Manowar calls, you fucking answer. No excuses, no regrets. Hail and Kill.

16 May 2018, 20:27
Metal Guru

Rocky Dennis wrote:

This should be put on a shirt

-Arseface

16 May 2018, 21:44
Metal Guru

Blunt Shovel of Ignorance wrote:
Rocky Dennis wrote:

This should be put on a shirt

Knowing Rocky Dennis, he's already done that.

16 May 2018, 22:18
Metal Guru

The Internet commerce culture has been both blessing and curse.

Before Social Networking sites and Youtube and Spotify etc, you'd have to go to a record shop and find your splendors in the aisles, some known, some not. but it would be a physical thing.

PLUS, Magazines! Actually publicity and marketing campaigns!

That stuff just does not happen anymore :(

17 May 2018, 11:52
Profile YIM
Metal Guru

I'm basically in the same boat as Anhur in that I still love finding new things but the more and more I hear the harder and harder it is for anything new to work it's way into constant rotation. I love finding new bands and albums but it's nearly impossible to find time to listen to everything I want to. And I have at least a 2 hour commute everyday which does help.

I used to be able to listen to music every day at work. I no longer really have that option. I used to basically come home and listen to music non stop after work. I no longer do that. Aside from commuting I find myself having to carve time out to sit down and listen to stuff.

Sometimes I'll just be sitting in my room and will have tons of new albums or bands to revisit or check out and I'll end up just putting on Piece of Mind for the millionth time. And I'm kinda ok with that.

17 May 2018, 12:03
Metal Guru

I bought two albums in the last two weeks and still haven't had time to listen to them.

And then be a reflection of their loss

17 May 2018, 12:19
Metal Guru

I'm checking out new music to a much greater extent now than I did in my younger years. Mostly because back in the day, it consisted in being stuck to browsing the Thanks section in cassette and then CD booklets and monthly magazine reviews.

deathstalker wrote:
I'm with you anhur. My commute is only 4 mins. That used to be my time with albums. It's hard to really blast metal when I'm home with the family.

Time to lawyer up and hit the gym. :m:

17 May 2018, 13:21
Metal Guru

Speaking of commute times, I do have about 2 hours a day of commuting on the bus, but that's also where I get most of my reading done, so it's a constant struggle to get in both my reading and my listening.

Burst Command Til War wrote:
You are never allowed in my house.

17 May 2018, 13:34
Profile ICQ WWW
Metal Guru

that just sounds fucking awful chad

Malevolent_Croatian wrote:
half the time it feels like he's setting the mood to sell me a persian rug.

17 May 2018, 13:35
Metal Guru

Life is fucking bullshit sometimes.

Burst Command Til War wrote:
You are never allowed in my house.

17 May 2018, 13:40
Profile ICQ WWW
Metal King

thelostpatrol wrote:
I bought two albums in the last two weeks and still haven't had time to listen to them.

I bought Helstar's Vampiro last year. It's still shrink wrapped.

Exorcist wrote:

17 May 2018, 13:54
Metal Guru

Clad In Shadows wrote:
Speaking of commute times, I do have about 2 hours a day of commuting on the bus, but that's also where I get most of my reading done, so it's a constant struggle to get in both my reading and my listening.

I did that when I was working in SF. My commute now, driving myself, is about 75 minutes in the morning and about 65 at night.

Took 95 minutes this morning...

Fun times...

17 May 2018, 14:25
Metal Guru

I have 2 hours to kill everyday going/going back to work listening to music.. Thank god i have this hobby.. traffic is way less painful. I try to wake up early on weekends to listening to new/old shit too.

Back to the topic, i'm 34 and i feel i'm into music more than ever and it will never stop. I try to dig all sort of genres (not just metal)

https://bandcamp.com/monos4
https://grandaltarofsatanicwintergoats1.bandcamp.com/

17 May 2018, 14:54
Metal Guru

Oddly, I more often find myself listening to talk radio (mostly sports) when I drive to work/home. I almost have to force myself to listen to music.
Most of my music, I listen while working.

17 May 2018, 15:07
Metal Guru

Bukowski wrote:
Oddly, I more often find myself listening to talk radio (mostly sports) when I drive to work/home. I almost have to force myself to listen to music.
Most of my music, I listen while working.

I've actually started alternating between listening to music and Mitch Lafon's podcast interviews myself.

17 May 2018, 15:51
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 78 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next