It is currently 18 Dec 2017, 11:43

RIP Malcolm Young 
Metal Guru

Post Re: RIP Malcolm Young
This one hurts like a motherfucker. The heart of one of the most influential and legendary rock groups EVER is gone. :(

Will be blasting AC/DC for the next couple of days.

18 Nov 2017, 17:02
Metal Guru

taz wrote:
No one has ever made simple riffs sound so amazing. As good a rhythm guitarist as we've ever seen. Rest in Peace...

Well said.

AC/DC was one of the first heavy bands I discovered....I've loved everything they've ever done and Malcolm was the bedrock of the band and their sound.

RIP

18 Nov 2017, 17:51
Metal Guru

:(

18 Nov 2017, 17:51
MetalHead

Always thought that if I could play guitar in a band, I'd like to do it just like Malcolm Young - write killer riffs, then camp out in front of the the backline crankin' them out surrounded by a wall of sound - no bullshit. Sad day.

18 Nov 2017, 18:25
Metal King

As I read this in my hotel room at the mirage in vegas, i am truly morose and humbled.

I can not thank you enough for what you have done in your career and have brought intense happiness to the fans.

RiP rock n roll legend. :bow: :(

Exorcist wrote:
I once deliberately crop dusted a child at a Walmart and I will fucking well do it again if the opportunity arises

18 Nov 2017, 21:37
Metal Guru

The rhythm wonderment to Angus's leads and swagger. Malcolm was the underrated genius of the rhythmic riff that allowed the band to become great. You will be missed.

:cheers:

Holo

19 Nov 2017, 01:53
Headbanger

AC/DC was my first "real" concert that wasn't just a small punk show. They played a huge part in my early years. I'll be breaking out the classic albums again myself. RIP.

19 Nov 2017, 02:22
Metal Guru

Deathmask wrote:
Always thought that if I could play guitar in a band, I'd like to do it just like Malcolm Young - write killer riffs, then camp out in front of the the backline crankin' them out surrounded by a wall of sound - no bullshit. Sad day.

To this beautiful sentiment...

Nothing beats jamming with your friends in whatever style. At some point you get onto something so amazing where you see everybody on their instruments and you know exactly where the fuck you are and why you're there andyou're all both diggen it and killing the shit out of it. You don't know, at first, but you eventually realize exactly who you have accidentally channeled.

And once you so joyously revel in the post-analysis, you come to appreciate you can't even remember the simplicity of your own genius.
And that right there is the beauty of Malcom Young .....You never lose or forget what he has played. Even though your riff is as incredible. His is moreso. You cannot NOT remember it! Somehow. You smile to it. Your drive to it. You dream to it. Its fucked.

19 Nov 2017, 03:00
Metal Guru

Post Re: Malcolm Young has died!
DaTroof wrote:

Talk about AC/DC, his great music and great concerts instead of just posting a lame "RIP".

My parents drove me 100 miles to Bismarck, ND on my first day (if not the first day, sometime in the first week) of high school in 1986. None of my friends wanted to go so I was solo-- AC/DC touring for "Who Made Who" with Queensrÿche opening ("Rage for Order").

I'd been to a few shows before (hell, my mom took me on a 600 mile round trip to see the World Slavery Tour the summer before) but my parents were still a bit wary of metal show and crowds, etc, so it didn't help to see 3 denim clad dudes trekking toward the Bismarck Civic Center, stopped on the sidewalk, shooting up.

The show was a killer, classic AC/DC set-- and the stage was mostly clear with airplane aisle lighting throughout-- and the requisite cannons for the finale were also clear and came out of two clear pillars on each side of the stage. When my parents picked me up a block away, they said they could hear the explosions and would see/hear the Civic Center doors shake and rattle with each concussion.

Great show, and unfortunately the only time I saw them.

19 Nov 2017, 07:32
Metal Guru

Location: Ottawa (the city that fun forgot but don't tell the bands that)
Post Re: Malcolm Young has died!
zekeyou wrote:
DaTroof wrote:

Talk about AC/DC, his great music and great concerts instead of just posting a lame "RIP".

My parents drove me 100 miles to Bismarck, ND on my first day (if not the first day, sometime in the first week) of high school in 1986. None of my friends wanted to go so I was solo-- AC/DC touring for "Who Made Who" with Queensrÿche opening ("Rage for Order").

I'd been to a few shows before (hell, my mom took me on a 600 mile round trip to see the World Slavery Tour the summer before) but my parents were still a bit wary of metal show and crowds, etc, so it didn't help to see 3 denim clad dudes trekking toward the Bismarck Civic Center, stopped on the sidewalk, shooting up.

The show was a killer, classic AC/DC set-- and the stage was mostly clear with airplane aisle lighting throughout-- and the requisite cannons for the finale were also clear and came out of two clear pillars on each side of the stage. When my parents picked me up a block away, they said they could hear the explosions and would see/hear the Civic Center doors shake and rattle with each concussion.

Great show, and unfortunately the only time I saw them.

I'm mostly impressed at your parents' generosity in travelling a fair distance to take you to a metal show. But that tour would've been tits to see back in the day.

19 Nov 2017, 15:05
Metal Guru

And for DaTroof....my two AC/DC live experiences in full detail:

AC/DC and The Answer, Ottawa, 2009

AC/DC and Vintage Trouble, Ottawa, 2015

19 Nov 2017, 15:11
Metal Guru

DaTroof wrote:

RIP

19 Nov 2017, 15:45
Metal Guru

One of the first hard rock albums I bought back in the '70s was Highway to Hell, if not THE first album. Actually back then, it was all just called ROCK.

19 Nov 2017, 19:54
Metal Guru

Saw AC/DC in Dallas on the Back In Black tour, then FTATR - both great shows, awesome live band.

A true legend, great writer, great guitarist. RIP. :bow:

19 Nov 2017, 19:56
Metal Guru

I saw AC/DC and the Strones at the Sarsapalooza festival in 2003. Was a night that I'll never forget.

19 Nov 2017, 22:04
Metal Guru

thelostpatrol wrote:
I saw AC/DC and the Strones at the Sarsapalooza festival in 2003. Was a night that I'll never forget.

That was a good, long day/night.

20 Nov 2017, 00:15
Metal King

thelostpatrol wrote:
DaTroof wrote:

RIP

:)

I mean :(

Exorcist wrote:
I once deliberately crop dusted a child at a Walmart and I will fucking well do it again if the opportunity arises

20 Nov 2017, 01:08
Metal Guru

If I recall correctly, Highway to Hell was the first vinyl I bought (picked it up at MonDak Pawn Shop for a couple bucks) in 82/83-- still have it.

Night Prowler :beer: and Shot Down in Flames :drunk:

20 Nov 2017, 05:38
Metal Guru

i remember stealing my dad's 'if you want blood you got it' cassette.

20 Nov 2017, 08:04
Metal Guru

Blasphomet wrote:
thelostpatrol wrote:

That was my second and last time seeing AC/DC. What a fucking spectacular show. The best part was that since the Rolling Stones played after that my buddy and I were able to beat traffic by beating feet about one and a half songs into the Rolling Stones' set.

Here's a Youtube playlist of a bunch of pro shot footage of AC/DC's performance from that day:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eh5I-lP ... rnivhTiJtC

As rad as that was, the first time I saw them was even better. March of 1995 in Toronto, Skydome, Ballbreaker tour. Same tour as the one they released On the No Bull DVD (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JoMLhnv ... L3p10epvEQ).

20 Nov 2017, 09:38
Metal Guru

The Space Lord wrote:

NO ONE CARES

Malevolent_Croatian wrote:
half the time it feels like he's setting the mood to sell me a persian rug.

20 Nov 2017, 09:46
Metal Guru

"And it came to pass
That rock 'n' roll was born
And all across the land, every rockin' band
Was blowing up a storm
And the guitar man got famous
The business man got rich
And in every bar, there was a superstar
With a seven year itch
There were fifteen-million fingers
Learning how to play

And you could hear the fingers pickin'
And this is what they had to say:"

I wanna make rock and roll just like Malcolm. Malcolm keeps it simple and keeps it rockin!

You can talk about Page or Iommi or Hendrix or BB King or... but Malcolm was the guy that played the riffs that anyone could pick up a guitar and rock. His riffs are the ones that so many got hooked on, got the taste for guitar, started the burning desire for in the beginning.

20 Nov 2017, 12:29
Metal Guru

RIP. Legend.

20 Nov 2017, 16:46
Metal Guru

Exorcist wrote:
Blasphomet wrote:
thelostpatrol wrote:

That was my second and last time seeing AC/DC. What a fucking spectacular show. The best part was that since the Rolling Stones played after that my buddy and I were able to beat traffic by beating feet about one and a half songs into the Rolling Stones' set.

Here's a Youtube playlist of a bunch of pro shot footage of AC/DC's performance from that day:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eh5I-lP ... rnivhTiJtC

As rad as that was, the first time I saw them was even better. March of 1995 in Toronto, Skydome, Ballbreaker tour. Same tour as the one they released On the No Bull DVD (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JoMLhnv ... L3p10epvEQ).

Yeah I think I split halfway through their set. Maybe it was during an intermission or something. Had seen them before so it was no big deal. Walked forever, hopped some fence with the crossed wires at the top which makes it a bitch, so people puncturing their hands, ripping their jeans. Hopped on a TTC bus and back to Scarborough with a sunburn.

Beer line were a joke that day. So terribly planned out.

20 Nov 2017, 16:49
Metal Guru

Rook wrote:
The Space Lord wrote:

NO ONE CARES

Clearly you do in taking the time to comment on it.

You're an idiot.

20 Nov 2017, 18:09